EGR - 1400 sport

DANIELP1991

combustion is slower with EGR because the combustion temperatures are lower, but the spark timing is advanced to make up for this, so there might be a performance decrease if that isn't compensated for, slightly less efficient as well if nothing else is changed

and obviously an increase in emissions but doubtful it would lead to an MOT failure

you potentially end up with a very slight bhp and torque increase because you not putting inn a mixture of part burnt combustion gas your just using a nice fresh mixture. havent tried on a petrol, done it to a few turbo diesels, made a difference mainly seemed a bit more responsive and slightly freer reving.

Like jonny said, There could be a slight increase, but i very much doubt there will be any from you just blanking it.

Like with the diesels, Id assume if you blanked it you would get an egr fault on the car, and if you remove it id think you would need to get the car remapped to actually tell what the potential is, on most modern diesels, you can get the EGR mapped out of the car so you can remove it. After all if you remove it, the car will just adjust fuelling to suit, which might send it out of trim values and bring up an engine fault light.

Give it a go, see what it does.

you shouldnt get a fault code ive never seen one from the ones ive blanked off, as far as the ecu is concerned the egr is opening and shutting therefore working youve just stopped the flow. you would get a code removing it as there will be an open circuit. but will be very slight improvement possibly not noticeable, more noticeable on forced induction due to the greater amount of air going into the bore.

• 2 weeks later...

TDI EGR Valves work in a completely different way.

Blocking/Removing an EGR valve is not a performance modification at all.

It's simply a way of getting rid of a fault prone part of the engine!

IIRC Early sports didn't have an EGR valve. If you go on ETKA you will see that some were fitted with a Blanking plate which can be ordered from your local dealer!

Don't quote me on this, but:

036 131 281 should be the correct EGR Blanking Plate for use on 1.4 16v Engines.

you will also require 1x 036 131 550H which is the gasket.

You may also need to cut down the original bolts or get some shorter bolts to fit the blanking plate! The standard bolts are M8 x 30mm and have an Allen Key head.

Don't quote me on this, but:

036 131 281 should be the correct EGR Blanking Plate for use on 1.4 16v Engines.

you will also require 1x 036 131 550H which is the gasket.

You may also need to cut down the original bolts or get some shorter bolts to fit the blanking plate! The standard bolts are M8 x 30mm and have an Allen Key head.

Should've done this on mine, probably. Would have been cheaper than a new egr anyways.

But the chances are you'd have permanently had a fault code stating Incorrect flow.

Plus, Now that I think about it, You'd need something to block the flange on the side of the Throttle body also!

egr-etc.jpg

Edited by nfbr