Troublesome Lupo

I've had my Lupo for about a month and it's time I addressed some issues I should had a long time ago.

I bought the car out of the local paper for £1450. It is a petrol 1.4. The previous owners dad did all the work on it.

A few days after I bought it, I was driving through town and it cut out at the traffic lights, it just kept idling. This happened around 10 times (whilst the undercover police were coming past me aswell), just pulled up at my mates and smoke started to come through the steering wheel shaft. He is a trainee mechanic, use some carburettor cleaner and the problem seems to be fixed.

The other day, the road was a bit wet and I pull out on someone a bit so accelerated to get away causing wheel spin. After that, the car shook violently when I put my foot down more than a little bit. I couldn't drive it above 50mph. The next day, it appeared to be fine.

I'm taking it in to get serviced but if you have any ideas on these two, please give me a heads up.

Now for the minor problems. Any hints on the following please.

The radio has really bad signal, I'm guessing it has something to do with the minuscule aerial on the Lupo if this is likely the problem, where's the best place to get a new one and are they easy to fit?

On the floor passenger side in the back, it is always damp under the mat, it is also a bit soapy. Not sure what this is but at a guess I'd say a leakage for back windscreen wash.

Since owning the car someone has put a dent in the side opening the car door onto it whilst I was in the supermarket, I doubt it is worth doing anything with though since it is only a small dent. A taxi also drove into the back of me putting a scratch and a dent in there. This is also a few scratches and paint chips, one is starting to rust, best method to proceed?

The standard stereo takes up both slots, if I replace these with a single din CD player, what can I do with the lower one rather than just having a hole there?

I'm asking a lot here, by all means, you don't need to answer the whole lot, if you have an answer to just one of these I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

if u change to a single din the bottom space can have cup holders or a empty slot for putting stuff, i think most ppl have cup holders there

Try a standard aerial on for a better signal, or borrow a mates and see if that works (if you can off another Lupo/Arosa/VW car etc) before you buy one, to make sure it is that stubby aerial. I have a stubby aerial and it works fine. Smye

to cure the damp problem, look in the how to as its sounds like the leaking pipe for the rear, bit of gaffa tape should solve that. radio wise maybe needs a booster bit onto the aerial itself, you have a double din in?? normal loop radios are one slot with then space underneath to put gubbins in. the plastic divider is ten pounds from dealers. get the car checked out then go from there

to cure the damp problem, look in the how to as its sounds like the leaking pipe for the rear, bit of gaffa tape should solve that. radio wise maybe needs a booster bit onto the aerial itself, you have a double din in?? normal loop radios are one slot with then space underneath to put gubbins in. the plastic divider is ten pounds from dealers. get the car checked out then go from there

It's not a double din, it is two separate parts, top has a tape play and bottom a CD player. The main problem is the volume switch which doesn't work too well. Often it will go louder when trying to turn it down.

First thing i'd check regarding the vibration would be wheel bolts, on all four corners. Could be a bearing going, but seems strange that it was fine the day after.

Yeh mate about the juddering above 50mph. I have the same problem on my 04 Arosa. But i can still drive above 50 with it as its a problem that comes and goes throughout the journey or doesnt happen atal. I have taken it to the Seat dealership, had it serviced and checked on the diag but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated as well.

No i think its engine related, not so much a miss fire but more of a splutter i guess, but the car doesn't sound any differently or sound like its miss fired so i have no idea.

To add to this though i did loose all torque/go today and had the orange engine light flashing away. The car would accel but barely so pulled over turned the car off and restarted it and it was fine :S so very strange.

Sorry Alex for pinching your topic :S

Problem solved!!!! :)

After a couple od days stripping the engine it turned out to be a bare wire in there shorting the car out and messing up the ECU which screwed over the fueling which in turn made it judder etc...