Oh no :'( 5th gear whining and engine oil light

Hi all :)

I think my Lupo is poorly! I have only had her two weeks and it's making me very sad :'(

She is making a subtle whining noise when in 5th gear (it only happens in 5th gear not the others, so I am mainly staying in 1st-4th gear because of it :() also her engine oil light keeps coming on and beeping whilst I drive her!!!

I have removed the dipstick and checked the engine oil level and all seems fine (it is fille to level B of the dipstick)Do these problems sound serious? I am very worried about my Lupo any help would be much appreciated you guys.

Edited by Tash-a

Dont want to sound like a nob but did you check the oil when it was cool and in the correct way ?

Dont want to sound like a nob but did you check the oil when it was cool and in the correct way ?

Yep when the engine was cool, wiped the dipstick clean then re inserted it.... all appeared to be fine with the engine oil level :(

The light is to warn you of low pressure, not level. Could be a faulty sensor, but worth investigating. A friend had a Corsa C that did this - turned out the oil pickup pipe was getting blocked after the engine had been running a while causing the pressure to drop.

5th gear on my Sport whined a while back, and a few 1000 miles later it failed completley, requiring a partial 'box rebuild

Doubt that is what you wanted to hear :lol:

Need to have the pressure checked at a garage. Lupo 1.4's are known for oil pump and genral lurication system issues such as blockages in the oil galleries.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will get it to the garage then to get the oil pressure checked! that's put my mind to rest a little bit! majorly worried about my gear box now though :(

I had the same noise in my Lupo when I had the gearbox oil changed.

There was no noise before I changed the oil so I took it back to the garage again.

They changed the oil once more and added a new oil with some additives to make it more viscous.

I'm no mechanic so can't explain how this works, all I know is that the whining disappeared.. :)

oil light kept coming on and off mine too even with pletny of oil in it, brought it to a mechanic at the weekend and pressure tested the pump and its fine so in the end it was just the oil switch

can check the oil switch yourself if you see some traces of oil in it its most likely it as it will have covered the earth and no longer making connection so the car thinks it has no pressure and light keeps coming on

hope you get it sorted and it isnt the oil pump

I had the same noise in my Lupo when I had the gearbox oil changed.

There was no noise before I changed the oil so I took it back to the garage again.

They changed the oil once more and added a new oil with some additives to make it more viscous.

I'm no mechanic so can't explain how this works, all I know is that the whining disappeared.. :)

Ahh that is interesting... maybe I should get her to the garage and get it all checked out then... really hope it's just the gearbox oil that's causing it and not the gearbox. That has given me a little hope :) thanks Stein

oil light kept coming on and off mine too even with pletny of oil in it, brought it to a mechanic at the weekend and pressure tested the pump and its fine so in the end it was just the oil switch

can check the oil switch yourself if you see some traces of oil in it its most likely it as it will have covered the earth and no longer making connection so the car thinks it has no pressure and light keeps coming on

hope you get it sorted and it isnt the oil pump

Hiya! I'll take a look at her in the daylight soon and check that, ta! I've just got myself into a right worry as she is my first car and I've only had her two weeks :(

thanks so much for your help :)

Well... she's booked into see the car doctor aka VW for a diagnostic :( I hope she is going to be ok! Will update with what they find when she gets back! :o

OK so I took her to VW... nothing showed up on the diagnostic but they did say her oil was in pretty bad shape (all lumpy and black?) so they gave her an oil change which should now last for the next 10,000 miles...

have had her back and taken her for a drive... happily driving along for about 40mins then the light re appears :( so looks like the problem is not solved!

Going to have to book her back in as I still don't understand why her engine oil light keeps appearing? :( I don't want to drive her until it's fixed as it beeps at me all the time :'( making me sad! :(

I hope it's just the oil switch or something :(

Edited by Tash-a

Oil pickup possibly?

Hey richie guy :) could you expand a bit please? this is my first car... so I apologise but my knowledge is a bit lacking on these kinda things! doh