Supercharging in depth

Ralphy

Hi guys ! As me and my freinds are gettin older now ! They are beginning to think about buying bigger engines like for example 1.8t, 2.0 16v. Which is quite annoying leaving me with my 75bhp loop which i just bought !

Anyways i kno this has been talked about very much on this forum but ! I just wanted my own clean thread about it. Cut a long story short, I was thinking out buying a 1.8t at the end of the year however really want to keep my loop which clearly isnt going to keep up with any 1.8t, so supercharging came to mind which i kno is a very expensive conversion ! But i just wanted to tlk to the ones that kno there stuff ! For example how long it took ! What sort of things are needed etc, as i am thinking of saving alot of money every month till december and maybe doing this conversion!!!

So any guidance would be very much appreciated by u guys as allways !

Cheers Guys Mike

Edited by Ralphy

What information have you gathered so far, just so, i (we) know what needs explaining..?

Were you not looking at a remap a few months back, why the sudden jump? lol.

Lets just put down to peer pressure ;)

I kno it cost alot lol ! I need to invest in a lupo gti lump aswell !

Just wanted to kno how easy is it for someone with not shed loads of knowledge, do internals need changing ? Any home made fabrications ? Power outputs ! How long does it take ! things like that for example ! Yeah remaping was however not worth 25bhp max lol !

Lupo GTi lump.

Just wanted to knok how easy is it for someone with not shed loads of knowledge, do internals need changing?

Any home made fabrications?

Power outputs!

How long does it take!

Doesn't need a GTi lump.

If you're going 1600 in a non-GTi you may be better off with a Polo GTi engine.

Internals don't need changing, John is the only person to have done this (bottom end wise)

Yes, some.

Paul ran 180bhp on a sport engine, John is aiming for circa 250bhp.

I believe Andy on a standard GTi engine is around 210bhp, however, this can all depend on maps pulleys.

ALL these answers are from things that are on these forums/the internet.

I'd heavily advise having a good old look through all the threads you can find to source some of the answers.

Im sure Casper said for everyone wanting to know to just carry one PMing him all the questions you want answering.

He loves it honest, very understanding bloke too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm u say polo gti lump ??? Thats rather annoying my freind had for sale 2 months ago ! With 60,000 on clock for 200 thats was for everything only needed a sump :(

Have you seen the amount of work + money needed & used in casperGTI's thread? wow.

Andy dosent know his power figure, I text him my first power figure when I got the car running and he had my number saved as his tuning guy in his phone he thought that was his cars power figure.

I don't beleve it's been on a power run to date. And it's not running correctly yet, lots of over fueling due to him needing a few sensors and loom fitted.

When I'm back from work I'll think of a reply to this, but you need to do your research first on what you think you want to do an acheive.

I researched a bit round the forum for my sport being supercharged, but decided it wasnt really worth it.

Parts needed

Eaton M45 supercharger (mini cooper s charger)

Lupo GTI injectors

2mm Head Spacer plate + 2 head gaskets

Pulley/ belt arrangement

Supercharger brackets

Intercooler + piping

4 branch manifold

2 1/4" exhaust

Emerald ecu + map (Storm Development)

Some sort of induction kit, sized for a 2ltr+ car

For extra safety a 255ltr/m fuel pump (walboro, etc) and a fuel pressure regulater (FSE)

With that setup you should see about 180bhp-190bhp.

Most expensive bit is the ecu and mapping at well over £1k

You don't use two head gaskets.

Reason behind this is that the head bolts are designed and torques to correctly compress one he'd gaksket. By using two, you don't proppely compress the head gaskets. And overtorquing the head bolts is just asking for it as they will be over stretched and this will lead to them fatiguing.

I am very serious about either doing this conversion or just getting a 1.8t golf ! I will be having a little help from AMD Technik in woking aswell ! As i am not expierenced enough to take on all this my self ! As i said this wont be happeing any time soon ! Depending on funds ! End of year and beginning of 2011 ! I have read your thread before casper and the work u put in is absolutley amazing ! I swear i have spoken to u down ladymead in guildford before aswell ! Top Car !

Mike

it may work out cheaper in the long run buying a 1.8t, mines still needing tweakin as i have some small problems to iron out. Caspers is very diff to mine in regards to set up and tuning, plus his car is 'younger'! lol

You could well have talked to me, I honestly don't remember though!

Dude i live just outside Woking in send. Where a bouts do you live?

I remember u were parked outside bk ! With your hood up haha ! :) Yeah i kno send drive through quite often ! I live in Chobham just outside woking :D Were u down the last no rice ?

Mike