20v Turbo VS Supercharged Conversion

forsh21

Hi,

I was thinking of doing the 1.8T 20v conversion as i had an engine lined up, but after owning a Polo G40 i love the supercharger noise and torque.

I know both are gunna be costly and timely, how much roughly do the conversions cost to do yourself (with all the low comp pistons etc... the real deal)?

Also which can you get the most from i.e. reliability & performance?

cheers

Paul

Super chargers are better as they are lag free unlike a turbo, meaning they are kinder to your engine in terms of power delivery, they put less stress on the engine compared to a turbo as they are there pretty much from setting off, where as a turbo lag then kicks all the power at once, making it feel alot better but isn't as nice on your gearbox for a start.

This is why my brother charged his 172 Instead of turboing it, alot kinder to the intervals and the gearbox lol

Super chargers are better as they are lag free unlike a turbo, meaning they are kinder to your engine in terms of power delivery, they put less stress on the engine compared to a turbo as they are there pretty much from setting off, where as a turbo lags as it spools up then kicks all the power at once, making it feel alot better but isn't as nice on your gearbox for a start.

This is why my brother charged his 172 Instead of turboing it, alot kinder to the internals and the gearbox lol

Woops, was ment to edit not reply, damn iPhone!! Lol

Seems to me that most people go for the supercharged route is there a reason for this?

I was thinking round 5k

Theres more 1.8t's than charged lupos about.

If you want a whole hog charger conversion on a gti engine. Dont expect any change from £6000 once you've finished mapping it. And thats excluding labour.

May i suggest you write down a full pm and send it to casper ^^^^^^^^^^^

Make sure you ask him questions like , What BHP can i expect? How much will this cost? Im not great with engines but do you think ill be able to do it ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :coffee: :coffee:

I would say have at least 5k to play with, if not more to be on the safe side.

If he has an engine lined up, its not major stress and cash to get it in and running. There are guys to make a custom OEM loom for you for £200, then in basic terms its down to mounting it, pipework and intercooler to get it running. If you've got a bit of tech knowledge, even if its learnt from reading forums etc then you can do a lot of it yourself, spending time and more to the point enjoying building your own car.

Super chargers are better as they are lag free unlike a turbo, meaning they are kinder to your engine in terms of power delivery, they put less stress on the engine compared to a turbo as they are there pretty much from setting off, where as a turbo lag then kicks all the power at once, making it feel alot better but isn't as nice on your gearbox for a start.

This is why my brother charged his 172 Instead of turboing it, alot kinder to the intervals and the gearbox lol

That argument doesnt really work though because he's not on about turboing the original AVY engine, but going for a 20v like AGU or BAM etc. And gearbox isnt an issue really either, people using an 020 box in MK1's are putting 200bhp through them for 20k miles before having problems, id guess the standard gti gearbox is pretty good for the power. And only if hes using a massive turbo will the lag factor come in, the K03/s doesnt prduce enough boost to lag that much :lol:

P.s. everything ive replied to tonight has sounded like im ranting, im not in a bad mood honest!

On terms of performace which is better?

Well for outright power i'd say the 20v turbo, I'm currently running 286bhp with 315lbft thats with the standard turbo and the standard internals. I'm lookin at a garrett gt28 and some internals looking to hit around 340bhp ish :) I want moreee power. lol! Its gonna be harder gettin to those sorta figures with a charger on a small engine. Althou I do absolutely love the whine of chargers!! I think they sound awesome!!!

Sam.

Do you think you will be able to get 340bhp down to the tarmac though?

With a decent suspension setup, an LSD and good tyres I don't see why he couldn't. Okay, not 4WD grip levels, but certainly not bad.

I had a good nosey around this yesterday. I want one, Andy didn't make it any more annoying when he says "it's a pretty easy swap" :lol:

24188_380313081093_511031093_4024085_7096178_n.jpg

Andy didn't make it any more annoying when he says "it's a pretty easy swap" :lol:

Does that mean he'll do it for cheaper than he quoted me then? :lol:

One thing that puts me off a 20vT is removing my average mileage, well looked after engine and replacing it with one with usually higher mileage that you don't know how it's been treated.

Oh, and the cost. That puts me off it a bit too. :lol:

Edited by Philplop

on performance levels how much faster is the supercharged gti engine?

Sub 6 second 0-60 times. That is an approximate though as i haven't had it properly timed yet., and depends on the weight of the car. I have a heavy leather interior. Removing all of it could loose up to 200kgs and make it a hell of a lot faster again.

Once the water methanol is finished, and i have my smaller pulley back on, id think a comfortable 245bhp will be achievable. To me that's enough in a lupo, but it could handle more power. But thinking how much money ive poured in to it, you'd be able to get a pretty good 1.8t conversion completed. Its down to preference, i quite like my car as its a total one off, i dont think it could really be copied to the same level again and i love the whine!

Like phil said, its weather you'd want to change a perfectly good engine for one you don't know much about.

You'd be surprised how well a high power lupo puts the power down. They are pretty good.

i reckon not B)

I reckon so :) a decent set of tyres coupled with a lsd which i already have and i'll be well away :) true 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear will probably spin but once its going in the higher gears i think it will be fine :) handles 286bhp lovely atm with little trouble tbh.