Lupo GTI (6-speed) or Fiesta ST

which car

Not quite sure about the ST and the Gti round the twists, i think the ST would be quicker. If there is one thing the Gti lacks its handling.

not if you put some KW V1 Inox coilies on :D;)

2 of my mates got STs now and tbh they are slow as fudge 4 a 2.0.

dont get me wrong they are lovely cars but they are so popular now.

mind you u can tune them like mad, have a look on pumaspeeds website. 300-400 bhp supercharged and everything else like.

but ive driven my mates st and tbh its not fast at all, was quite dissapointed. tbh top end they aint much quicker than a mk5 zs, just get there quiker.

handling wise when i raced my mates the other week in my arosa sport we was about the same through the corners. mines lowered 40mm on gmax shocks and springs with falkens up front and his was standard with crappy budget tyres.

i duno what lupo gtis handle like on coilys but i cant see it beating an st round corners if the st was also on coilovers.

i`d personnally be different and have the gti, and thats coming from a massive fast ford fan like.

either that or drop a vts in your vtr and tune the nuts of it and smoke everything.

my other mate has a 106 rallye with a gti lump, pugsport, 4 branch, chip. and he can beat st with 175-180 bhp!

Lol, good idea.

I just get annoyed with the view of Lupos being the ultimate.

This and the previous Fiesta (Zetec-s) whilst having lacking engines have 2 of the best modern hot hatch chassis, IMO.

i wouldnt say rallyes are underpowered. 4 an 8v they go like poo off a shovel! and rev to not far off 8000k!

my mate seems to think my arosa sports just as fast but i think hes pissed. lol

but with a gti engine they are really really fast lol.

I think once you have a Lupo or an Arosa, there is just something special about it that you cant explain, once you own one you will know what I mean.

I love my Arosa to bits like, I doubt I will ever get rid of it, only gain cars lol. There is just something special I cant explain about them.

agreed, ive seen people on here sell there car to get something diff and then go back to a lupo, there deff is something special about them, mine is just a baby engine cause of the money savings, but i still love driving her,,,

I was thinking the same a few years ago. The ST is a cheep tacky Ford and will be worth a lot less in a few years time than a Lupo GTI. I bought a GTI and it is probably the best car I have had and I have had a Scooby and a Cossie and many more. The build quality is so much better with a VW. Hope this helps.

Having owned, driven, tuned and generally poured my soul into a VTS i know it well, and truth is that even a fairly stock vts with basic breathing mods will pretty much always be able to pull away and stay away from a similarly stock lupo gti or an st IMO. That said i've only driven a lupo gti once and i didnt drive it very hard and on the occasions that i have driven an st the one thing i did like was that it had long legs at high speeds so that would have the best chance of pulling in a vts, imo.

As has already been said, it largely depends what you want, if it's speed.. just look elsewhere, there are much faster cars for similar or less money.. hell for 5k you could get an old shaped 225bhp audi tt on an early X/Y plate, maybe with 100k on the clock but the bam engines are fairly solid if they're maintained well. If you want to race vts's, why not buy a vts and tune it.. you'll get it cheap enough that you could throw 3k at it and it still be cheaper than a good condition lupo gti. The lupo's definately carry a premium and it's because mainly just that they're rare and they're a vw gti and all vw gti badged cars carry a premium (except maybe mk4 golf because they're **** and common). Someone else suggested a clio 182 which i've also owned and it is a good shout but be prepared to accept that it's a renault and build quality and reliability isnt great, mine spent more time on axle stands than on it's wheels :P although it was more reliable than my vts.

Anyway.. I hope all this helps you make a decision.

Having owned, driven, tuned and generally poured my soul into a VTS i know it well, and truth is that even a fairly stock vts with basic breathing mods will pretty much always be able to pull away and stay away from a similarly stock lupo gti or an st IMO. That said i've only driven a lupo gti once and i didnt drive it very hard and on the occasions that i have driven an st the one thing i did like was that it had long legs at high speeds so that would have the best chance of pulling in a vts, imo.

As has already been said, it largely depends what you want, if it's speed.. just look elsewhere, there are much faster cars for similar or less money.. hell for 5k you could get an old shaped 225bhp audi tt on an early X/Y plate, maybe with 100k on the clock but the bam engines are fairly solid if they're maintained well. If you want to race vts's, why not buy a vts and tune it.. you'll get it cheap enough that you could throw 3k at it and it still be cheaper than a good condition lupo gti. The lupo's definately carry a premium and it's because mainly just that they're rare and they're a vw gti and all vw gti badged cars carry a premium (except maybe mk4 golf because they're **** and common). Someone else suggested a clio 182 which i've also owned and it is a good shout but be prepared to accept that it's a renault and build quality and reliability isnt great, mine spent more time on axle stands than on it's wheels :P although it was more reliable than my vts.

Anyway.. I hope all this helps you make a decision.

Uh oh, an un-biased and un-blinkered view.

BAN. ;)

Here's another one to throw into the mix, EG Civic VTi. Not my cuppa tea but they go well, probably due to huge amounts of rust making them lightweight.

Buy my Clio172 so I can have a kick up the arse and get my self sorted to get a Lupo.

My problem is; I've spent so much getting my Clio to how I want it to look I want a Lupo which looks as gooood and the one's I want are just above my £££ :(

Mic, got any pics/spec of the Clio? My mate is desperate for a nice clean 172 and has cash waiting.

Yeah I've got a fair few shots.

It's got a fair few mods; off the top of my head it's got:

FK highsports

Clio cup front splitter

Clio cup rear spoiler

Ktec racing stealth exhaust

Ktec drilled front and rear discs - braided hoses

EBC redstuff pads

and a lot more! hah

I'm not in the position to sell at the minute but tell him to join Cliosport. I'm on there too and there's a lot of decent/tidy 172's for sale at the minute!

Edited by micp

He already is, but he's incredibly fussy when it comes to buying cars as it must be a minter he buys. What's your username on there? I'll point him in your direction if he hasn't seen it already.