Dash rattles - blitzed em

Dogwood

P***ed off with turning the radio up to cover the dash rattles so went on a bit of a quest last night. Had three different rattles, all cured with a bit of sticky back furry fablon. These were:-

The little surroundy bit around the chassis number ****ting of the screen.

The bottom of the cupholder panel messing with the top of the centre console.

The last one took ages. On the long vent in the centre of the dash up by the screen, there is a screw which has a square plaggy cover over it. This cover must get mishapen over time with heat etc. and sounds like a piece of Lego in the vent.

My drive to work this morning was loads less annoying, safe in the knowledge that good had once again triumphed over evil.

Excellent!

One problem I really need to address is the section behind the head units - I can never get the cabling to the left properly, so it always compacts against the back and makes the whole thing squeak when I go over a bump. Very annoying.

I've done the cupholders though - amazing oversight by VW not to put something in there to stop rattles imo.

You don't even really need to take the cupholders off - although that's very easy so you may as well. It's 2 torx 20 screws, one each side, easy to locate.

The vibration comes from the back of the cup holder touching the shelf that runs along the length of the dash.

I have a really annoying rattle coming from the surround that all the dials are in (speedo etc). Has anyone else had this and is it easy to take off to see if I can sort it myself? oh yeah seems to happen more if it is cold inside the car, ie first thing in the morning.

Also if anyone gets any that sound like they are from the middle of dash i found that mine was my rear veiw mirror and couldnt tell till i leant right forward while driving! A quick squease and it stopped.

Any help appreciated.

Id no probs removing surround at clocks it juts a case taking out torques then angling it a bit when taking it out so it unclips, Id mines out and replaced with gti spec one in 10 mins seriously, I always rip all my cars to bits and mess about with the interiors and to be honest lupos easiest barr the old mk3 fiestas a 5 yr old to could strip them and rebuild em in a couple of hours lol