oil filler cap *Now with pics* not 56k friendly

db

I've just been merily cleaning my car and thought id check the oil etc and when i removed the oil filler cap I have that lovely yellow gunge stuff sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> . Now would i be right in saying this is because the car has been driven mainly on short runs? Or is it something worse?

Is it a translucent gunk? If so, and it's just around the filler cap, it's probably nothing to worry about.

If it's kind of opaque, it sounds like the oil's been contaminated somehow...

...head gasket???

Don't mean to scare you, but personally I'd get it checked out before you drive much further - pics would probably help...

Unless someone else can say something?

It may not be anything to worry about...

Do you know much about the history of the car? This gunk can appear if the car's left for long periods between regular driving apparently - it's water certainly, but I'm not sure if it's just condensate at the top - just doing a bit of research!...

Edit: Yeah, as Paul said, check the dipstick - any evidence of it on there?

How many miles has the car done out of interest?

Edit again: Short journeys can be a contributing factor to the condensate around the cap apparently, possibly nothing to worry about.

Ok what i know about the car is as follows; I am the third owner- the first being vw and the previous a bloke living in sutton. He bought an elise as a replacement before he sold the car, so the car may have been sat around for a while. I got the car transferred from there to the garage that i got it from. It's got full VW service history and MOT record and it's been RAC checked before i got it.

Thats the limit of my knowledge

Edit, there is nothing on the dipstick as thats clear.

Right ok, well i'll take it for a long motorway session to hopefully get the engine properly warm and clear some of the condensation, me thinks that the car has only ever been driven round town and didnt get chance for the oil to properly warm up.

Hope this stops you worrying too much.

Ive had my car from new and done 48,000 miles in it. Nearly every journey is about 20 miles+ of open roads so no real town driving.

My oil cap has done that since new but only during really cold days in winter and its never been a problem.

Think its to do with the common VW problem of condensation in the engine forming (saw a link to this somewhere on net but cant find it again). The condensation in formed on the highest point in the sytem (the filler cap) and makes the yellow oil/water mess. If it gets no worse then dont worry, my car like I say has done 48,000 miles all by me and never used a drop of oil or water.

Okay all: it did use abit of oil when the oil seals in the head went but that was a separate problem

QUOTE(LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI)
Hope this stops you worrying too much.

Ive had my car from new and done 48,000 miles in it. Nearly every journey is about 20 miles+ of open roads so no real town driving.

My oil cap has done that since new but only during really cold days in winter and its never been a problem.

Think its to do with the common VW problem of condensation in the engine forming (saw a link to this somewhere on net but cant find it again). The condensation in formed on the highest point in the sytem (the filler cap) and makes the yellow oil/water mess. If it gets no worse then dont worry, my car like I say has done 48,000 miles all by me and never used a drop of oil or water.

Okay all: it did use abit of oil when the oil seals in the head went but that was a separate problem

YEP! totally the same as me. 64000 miles and mine has done it since I have had it (33000) so dont do anything. VW also backed up darrens theory. Mine has never used any oil at all.

Excellent, you guys have really put my mind at rest and there was me thinking head gasket problems!

At this point i'd like to put the beer emoticon up and say cheers but it isnt there, so you'll have to make do with :wink:

You'll also find it in Mini's...

Tis a very common thing to have... is caused by the oil being contaminated with moisture, as long as the cylinder head looks OK (ie, normal oily look, rather than completely gunked up) and the oil on your dipstick is "oily" looking rather than a dark creamy coffee then you shouldn't have anything to worry about... and yes you do tend to have more of it on shorter runs...

Excessive white smoke from your exhaust would indicate a blown head gasket (it's the water from your cooling system evapourating...) and you'll also find a vast reduction in power performance (try putting your foot down hard... if you get no power then that's a sign!)

(BTW, I've had roughly 10 blown head gaskets in my time, so am quite used to the syptoms... and the repair job afterwards. :oops: )

Hope this helps,

FD