Rear Lights

smye87

I know Lupo rear lights and Arosa Mk1 rear lights can both be fitted to an Arosa Mk2, the car I've got.

Question; will rewiring need to be done for any of these lights to be fitted onto the Mk2 or is it a straight swap?

Cheers guys!

Smye

Edited by smye87

Dunno which one of you texted me today but cheers!

Aye, seems like I'll have to wait till Monday before I can order them anyway, damn. Will only cost £30 for the pair which I think is a decent price - reckon the ones going on here (if there are any) will be a decent price? Bearing in mind they'd have to get posted to me.

Smye

Was me that text you mate.

Its me that is selling lights also but they are mk2 Arosa lights for sale as I have just fitted GTi rear lights to mine :)

Appreciated man. Will be on to it this week hopefully as they'll be coming down from Aberdeen. Smye

My Lupo lights are now fitted and looking sweet. There is a how-to guide on here with the wiring which I'd say is correct - BUT if you've got a 2005 Rozza, it is different to that guide by 1 wire which you'll figure out when doing it; the sidelight wire O/S is a different colour to that on the guide.

I would advise NOT taking the wires out of the plastic connector yourself; you may end up mangling a few as I did. I asked heaps of folk to help me and they struggled, even when using heaps of "appropriate" tools (cocktail sticks, thin nails, jewellers screwdrivers etc).

You really need to use a "pin out" tool and if you find a sound mechanic at a VW, Skoda or SEAT garage, they'll take 2 tics out of their day and remove the wires with this tool - you can buy one but I'm not sure where from.

The Lupo lights have the potential to operate both reverse lights and both rear fog lights, compared to Rozza Mk2 original 1 reverse N/S and 1 rear fog O/S. To operate both, you'll need to add an extra wire and carry it over from N/S to O/S (for reverse) and then O/S to N/S (for rear fog). If you choose to NOT do this, you'll have a gap on each connector (on O/S, I think you could just fill the gap with the spare earth if you don't fancy 2 reverse lights). This is how mines is wired and so is Emz.

So when you swap the lights as Emz and I have done, and I'm assuming others, you'll only get the 1 reverse and 1 rear fog. I was told it's not an MOT failure which is a bonus.

I hope that's shed some light on a very worthwhile modification, will definately tidy up the rear of the Rozza and make it look smoother IMO, the hardest bit is removing the wire from the connectors. If you know you can get that done in 10 minutes, then you'll have the whole job done within 30 minutes easy.

*Potential problems*

- when all wired up and you're sure it's all correct and some lights ain't working, check the bulbs ain't blown.

- check the fuse ain't blown (happened to me so I was confused)

- removing wires from the connectors

*Advice*

- write down which wires go where when removing them so you don't confuse yourself if you need the original lights back on.

- note which way round the connector is facing.

Good luck and go for it!

Smye

NB: As it looks now.

SmyesSeatArosaMk2.jpg

Edited by smye87

Sweet, nice one mate. Did you pay your local garage to do the light connector removal thing? Because i took mine down to the local Seat garage and they quoted me £65 to do it, although they do seem like a bunch of (gear)nobs down there!

Cheers dude. Didn't need to pay the garage anything, the car wasn't even booked in. When I went up by chance last Sunday, a mechanic for Skoda was there cleaning his car or something and just told me to come up during the week to see him so I did, decent guy like, totally sound, job done in 2 minutes!

You'd be better off going to your SEAT garage, asking how much for the pinout tools and if they're well priced, get them and do them yourself. Or see if a wee local garage can do it for even cheaper as they might have the tool.

This how the car was since I got it, for about 2 months beofre I done my jobs to it;

1.jpg

So I think it looks better now with the lights and the rest. I just can't see how, for my colour and spec Rozza, the original lights were good. Some black Rozza Sports look decent enough with factory lights IMO.

Have you done it to your car?

Smye

Edited by smye87

• 1 month later...

I did this a different way (need to get another lens tomorrow) and rewired the actual light unit so its a plug in, plug out job to go back to the standard lights :)

I'll put up a how to when there on and working :)

Hi bud. I've done the same with converting from mk2 lights to Lupo ones.

I connected up the redundant reverse and fog light too.

Here is my rundown of the connections:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57984&view=findpost&p=710721.

Yeah man, I checked your thread (haven't read it all yet!) and noticed you hooked up both reverse and both rear fogs, looks niiiiiice. There's a Mk1 Rozzer at my local scrappies and I'm wanting to take the wiring loom our of that, snip it, then branch over to get these lights working. Wouldn't that make a series connection? Which means if one reverse/fog light blows, the opposite one won't come?

Cheers.

Smye

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some 17 amp 4m wire from Halfrauds today. I 'leccy taped a wire to the N/S reverse, and bought it across to the empty space, No6, on O/S and the it didn't work. Any advice? I'm now thinking of tryin BigFoot's idea of just soldering over the wire channels in the lights themselves!

Smye

I did this a different way (need to get another lens tomorrow) and rewired the actual light unit so its a plug in, plug out job to go back to the standard lights :)

I'll put up a how to when there on and working :)

You able to chuck up pictures and MS Paint all the wires so I'd know what to do? I'm thinking of doing it your way, so I can get both reverse lights and both rear fog lights working. I see your car at college sometimes, not bad not bad, quite nice. Managed to sell it?

Smye

I bought some 17 amp 4m wire from Halfrauds today. I 'leccy taped a wire to the N/S reverse, and bought it across to the empty space, No6, on O/S and the it didn't work. Any advice? I'm now thinking of tryin BigFoot's idea of just soldering over the wire channels in the lights themselves!

Smye

That's pretty much what i did, just ran to wires across behind the boot protector and connected them into the correct locations in the block. I did use a multimeter to see when there was currrent going through though.

The other option is BigFoots one, mine was just a quick fix though, plus my soldering skills aren't the best. So either or really.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

my soldering skills aint the best either tbh lol, but good enough to get the lights working.

To bridge the reverse and fog lights i drilled a hole next to the socketed part of the light board and ran the wires out of the unit so they could be connected up quickly with bullet connecters, and removed just as fast if you wanted to go back to standard. I will get a 'how to' up on this at some point this weekend, i just need to fins the time / motivation to do it lol.

*Please note wiring diagram will be Microsoft Paint Special*

LOL

Ok so I got bored at work...

Convert Lupo Light Board To Work on Mk2 Arosa.

Easier light read out:-

Lupo setup.

These numbers given are from top to bottom as the light boards would be fitted on the car.

Left & Right Hand Side.

1) Brake Light

2) Side light

3) Indicator

4) Earth

5) Fog Light

6) Reverse Light

Mk2 Arosa setup.

LHS RHS

1) Brake Light 1) Brake Light

2) Side Light 2) Side Light

3) Earth 3) Earth

4) Earth 4) Earth

5) Indicator 5) Indicator

6) Reverse Light 6) Fog Light

Modified Lupo Lights.

LHS

1) No Change.

2) No Change.

3) Cut Board. Bulb end (B end) to be connected to No.5 Car end (C end).

4) No Change.

5) Cut Board. Car end (C end) to be connected to No.3 Bulb end (B end). Bulb end (B end) to be bridged from RHS No.6 Car end (C end)

6) No Change. Bridge wire to RHS No.6 Bulb end (B end).

RHS

1) No Change.

2) No Change.

3) Cut Off. Bulb end (B end) to be connected to No.5 Car end (C end).

4) No Change.

5) Cut Off. Car end (C end) to be connected to No.3 Bulb end (B end). Bulb end (B end) to be connected to No.6 Car end (C end).

6) Cut Off. Car end (C end) to be connected to No.5 Bulb end (B end) and also to be bridged out to LHS No.6 Bulb end (B end). Bulb end (B end) to be connected to bridged LHS No.6.

Also when your soldering, make sure to clean up the points of contact on the board with some sandpaper. Also coating these points with solder will make a good connection very easy. Also coat the wire ends with solder before trying to make a connections, doing all of this will make the job piss easy.

Microsoft Paint diagram to follow lol