Fitting 280mm brakes to a Sport

truCido

Has anyone ever fitted the 280mm brakes from a G60 / Ibiza / MK3 Golf to a Sport before? If so did you need to do anything special. I've got a set of calipers and carriers on the way (hopefully) and was hoping they'd fit straight on!

They will fit, been done a few times, think Kam (heartagram) has them on his Sport.

But if you are lightening the car out the way you are, I'm not sure your going to need them? They are already 256mm.

You will need both the caliper and carrier from the 280mm set-up, discs, pads and 15" wheels.

Edited for correction!!

Edited by 99hjhm

They will fit, been done a few times, think Kam (heartagram) has them on his Sport.

But if you are lightening the car out the way you are, I'm not sure your going to need them? They are already 256mm.

You will need both the caliper and carrier from the 280mm set-up, discs, pads and 15" wheels.

I did have a good look around but couldn't find anything. I'll have a look for Kams posts cheers.

The more braking power the better, nearly every competitive car I'm racing with has 4 / 6 pots with huge stopping power and they'll easily out brake me. So this is a relatively cheap way of upgrading my braking without going overboard!

Thanks for the help!

On the GTI you use the standard caliper, is it not the same for the Sports?

I just needed caliper carriers and 280mm discs. I changed the pads to G60 ones too, but not sure it's needed.

Are the GTI discs wider than Sport ones?

Yes i believe the gti discs are slightly wider than the sport discs.

I cant see that making it a problem though, although i think the pads on the G60 compared to the GTi have different thickness, The caliper is the same, its just that a different pad/disc/carrier combination was used.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Would a more efficient setup the same size as your current one be better? I think kam racing has some decent gear. aves you the weight of the bigger disk then

I was going down this route as I've been speaking to Kam Racing quite a bit...however I don't think the stopping power of the 256's will be enough. I'll still be buying my discs and pads from kam

Lupo GTI discs are 25mm thick, Sports are 20mm.

heartagram I think got caught out and needed the Lupo GTI/Golf G60 etc caliper. Ignore this!

I need to look into the pad thicknesses for mine.

Edited for correction, seems a thread I was reading was totally incorrect.

Edited by 99hjhm

On the sport you will not need the calipers! If your own calipers are working fine keep them!

Just use the Corrado/Golf G60 Carriers, 280mm Discs and a new set of Standard (or uprated) pads to suit your car.

Some 14" Wheels will fit over the 280mm discs with a little work on the caliper, but chances are you will need 15" Wheels if you don't want to grind bits of caliper off. It's certainly something I wouldn't recommend anyway.

Edited by nfbr

Ah ok cool thanks. I've managed to get a set of calipers and carriers from an Ibiza Cupra for £50 so I'll take both anyway, suppose I'll have a spare set :)

I've been planning on a set of 15" Pro Race 1.2 alloys so should be fine for clearance

Thanks for everyones help!