body shops - midlands :(

Jen

hey :) well on christmas eve Sam managed to shear his steering rack, so whilst i was parked up (on a straight piece of road!!) helping the RAC to load his car, a focus went to turn left, decided to change his mind and go right and lost it and hit flo :( not a huge amount of damage surprisingly (from what i can see on the surface not been able to check suspension and stuff yet) and she still drives straight but still totally taken out my wing and part of the bumper. he's missed my door and xenon which was lucky for him otherwise that'd be nice and pricey!!

the guy wants me to get some cash quotes but i have no idea where to go? of course my first instinct was southam bodies...but i don't think he'll pay for that!! so any recommendations? i'm based in Lichfield but want a decent job doing :D

cheers for any help

Jen xx

All i can say is go to SOUTHAM BODIES Gregg and Ian are great blokes and no their stuff if you explain your situation and are paying cash i'm sure he will sort it. They are the only people i would let do body work on my car :).

Edited by sheps

yea i think i'll see if i can get a quote then, only thing is if its well expensive im thinking the guy might say f that and go through his insurance then who knows what sh*tty bodyshop she'll end up at :( stress :(

thanks James any idea there name? i'll get a quote from there too xx

Edited by Jen

cheers mate :D you got yours sorted now?

i wasn't sure if you could, i thought insurance companies had dedicated/sponsored bodyshops, because i had no choice when someone went into the back of my 1 litre loop :(

cheers mate :D you got yours sorted now?

i wasn't sure if you could, i thought insurance companies had dedicated/sponsored bodyshops, because i had no choice when someone went into the back of my 1 litre loop :(

it depends if his insurance company have a dedicated body shop to do there repairs as mine is goin to vw to be sorted as the insurance company dont have a dedicated body shop so i got to choose

Jen, Get a cash quote from where you want it repaired. If he then wants to go through insutracne i wouldnt even use your insurance company, I would use a third party company as emz has done recently, send her a PM and ask about it. My dad recently did this when he got rear ended in his merc.

How they work is you get to choose where you have it repaired. You get a quote from them and they provide you with a courtosey car, Then they claim straight to the other partys insurance and get the money for the courtosey car and repair from them. Legally they have to pay up if the other party has admitted liability, or it is settled in court.

Much better than doing a cheap cash job, Its a Gti, youve be hit, so you shoudl get it repaired how you want it. Not how he wants it.

If he goes to his insurance, when they contact you, you tell them your going to to through a third party as its your legal obligation to be able to. You pass the details of the other party on to the third party and they take if from there.

Jobs a gooden, Like a said speak to emz, i believe she has a firned whos involved in one of these third party companys.

John

As for insurance claims,

You as the customer are allowed to use any bodyshop you wish, the insurance company are not allowed to deny you of the right!!

Insurance companies tend to have designated repairers such as evans halshaw and nationwide accident repair. This is because these companies give such cheap deals to the insurance companies to keep their trade.

The insurance company will probably tell you that they wont warrant the repairs from a repairer of your choice, the shop however will give you a warranty on the repairs.

We repair a lot of from companies such as direct accident but dont tend to get other insurance work as the customers of the insurance companies don't know their rights.

Hope this helps!

I live in Burton on Trent and theres a really good bodyshop called Willington Coachworks here (its by the clay mills pumping station). The guy there does an ace job. He restored my fellas Mini van and did an amazing job, also just had some work done on my Mums sportKA and he also fixed my fellas dads VRS. His work is spot on and he alway does everything properly. I'll be taking my Lupo there for a bit of work, but hes defo worth a look into :)

Info..

Hope you get her sorted nice and quickly :)

Edited by Sazal

Just ofr info: My ex hit an Audi back in about '90. Front wing damage. driver claimed off my insurance to have the work done at an Audi dealer.

My insurer paid out the £300+ for a new wing and paint and fiting. 2 Months later I saw the same car with the damage, so I contacted my insurer to advise. Thewy checked it, but apparently even though you get 3 quotes and choose which one to go to you still don't have to get the work done.

Maybe changed since then, but I was pretty pissed as I lost some of my NCB just to put cash in his pocket.

Yeah Silver...

Thats what the bloke who hit me thought i was gonna do, we didnt go through insurance but he asked for me to have the work done and show him a receipt before he paid up...i guess he had a point but at the same time he could've been a bit of a tit about it all and not paid at the end, meaning we'd have a bill and no way of proving any accident happened.

I would always go through insurance for one particular reason:

you have to ask yourself why this particular person doesn't want to go through their insurance. my attitude is touch tits if you hit me i go through the insurance end of, at least you are covered!

I ran into the back of a lady when i first started driving, i did some serious damage to her car and when she got out she was like oh dont worry about it!! I was pretty sure she wasn't insured or licensed.

I would always avoid going through insurance where possible, as it's a pain in the arse. If I had a little bump into somebody and it was my fault, I'd try and settle it outside of insurance as it would put my insurance up a lot anyway, so I'd be better off paying out of my own pocket. And I'd think it was fair enough if somebody hit me to give them the chance to do the same.

Sorry to hear about the car Jen. :( Hope it gets sorted without any problems. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys thanks for all the advice. well went to southam, about a 1000pounds worth of damage *sigh* rang the bloke and he wants to go through insurance obviously, so where the hell do i go from here i am proper stressing never had to do anything like this before i have no idea what to do :(

any help greatly appreciated thanks :(

Em i'll try and phone you tomorrow if thats ok but i'm on an 8-8 so not sure when i'll be free :( xxxx