How does one change the sidelight

Tallika_Fan

I'm stuck, i can't contort my hand round enough to change the bulb on the n/s, is there a special technique?

Would it be easier to remove the headlight and get at it that way?

Is it easier to release the battery from the tray and push it back slightly?

Cheers peoples.

Pete

I'm stuck, i can't contort my hand round enough to change the bulb on the n/s, is there a special technique?

Would it be easier to remove the headlight and get at it that way?

Is it easier to release the battery from the tray and push it back slightly?

Cheers peoples.

Pete

I remember a topic on this before. I would say just release the battery from the tray and push it back slightly

is you best option as that takes hardly any time.

i always found for me and my big hands that i was quicker removing the front bumper and taking out the headlamp and rebuilding the front end that faffing about with it still in the car :lol: that way i could also make sure that the back pannel went on correctly :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers Mike, i was thinking i'd seen something like this before and you've confirmed that it was your thread. Thanks kindly.

I'll get some ordered. Might as well upgrade the headlight bulbs too methinks.

Cheers.

if your changing more than one bulb, save your self the stress, hastle, cut knuckles and wanting to kick the car and take the bumper off and take the headlights out :lol:

Well cheers for the tips people.

In the end i tried it both ways, undoing the battery didn't give me enough clearance . So ended up taking the bumper off, pretty straight forward task, except for the n/s headlight connector, this didn't want to come off. so made it a little more difficult as the headlight only came out a small distance.

o/s one was much easier, then came the task of fitting it all back together. All went to plan except for the polystyrene between the crash bar and bumper, this moved out of alignment and caused me some issues with the screws not lining up, though eventually i saw the problem and sorted it.

All in all only two schoolboy errors, one being i stabbed myself in the thumb with the screwdriver whilst trying to separate the headlight connector, still sore now as i took a chunk of skin out. second one was the little flappy bit which connects the inner arch with the bottom of the bumper, on the nearside i didn't connect the teeth back in, drove about 15miles and hit some standing water, thought nothing of it, just thought that due to no mud flaps on this car the water hitting the sills was a tad noisey. anyway a little further and the noise was everytime the car traveled up and down considerably on the suspension.

Turned out to be the flappy thing pointing straight down and grinding itself against the road. Never mind. Was comical when i saw it, shall post a piccy to show it off.

Cheers

Yeah defo, the only things that are a pain really are the clip things for the bottom of the bumper to the bit next to the windage tray.

The remind me of the grille clips for the mk1 golf, except you'd easily lose the center bit into the middle of the bumper on the golf! at least these ones are connected. Still a pain though.

Yeah defo, the only things that are a pain really are the clip things for the bottom of the bumper to the bit next to the windage tray.

The remind me of the grille clips for the mk1 golf, except you'd easily lose the center bit into the middle of the bumper on the golf! at least these ones are connected. Still a pain though.

Im beginning to think this MK1 is a mythical creature. Are you sure it exists being as you havent brought it out in a while lol