Strut Brace Clearance/Brake reservoir issue. Advice Required

sgtazza

Hi all,

After a trip to Players meet at North Weild yesterday, I went home full of enthusiasm to get my finger out and finally fit my OMP Strut Brace.

I have managed to sort out the passenger side brace mount... HOWEVER... I have a wee tiny issue mounting the brace mount on the drivers side on account of the Brake Resovoir beeing in the way.

The reservoir look fairly firmly bolted into place and im not too keen on mucking about with brake systems.

The issue is the tank/bottle sits too high up and it fouls the strut brace mount.

So.. does any one have a solution? My only thought is seeking a lower profile reservoir tank/bottle? if so does anyone know of one that fits the loop?

(Its a 1.4 Sport)

Thanks

Azza

Drilling a couple of new holes in the bulk head and lower the Resovoir would be the easiest option wouldn't it?

I hear what your saying Tigz, but the tank is mounted directly on top of the master cylinder. So am not sure what can of worms I could open trying to relocate the whole shabang.

This can be relocated but its a serious pain in the back side..

Iv done it on mine and certainly wouldnt want to do it again...

Hey Icegeezer,

I do get that impression. Im going to have a look at milling a cut out section into the brace to clear the brake flud bottle.

I'll repost if im sucessful! (or if im not!! ;) )

Would it not maybe be easier to buy a strut brace that goes round or over it?

You would have thought that if it was sold as a Lupo strut brace it would fit a Lupo?! Its not a generic strut brace, surely?

Edited by northwick

This. On something like a Lupo the benefits of better turn-in are outweighed by the increase in understeer

er.....................wtf?

since when does a lupo not turn in well???? if you want better turn in and a loss of grip mid corner (why-ever that makes any sense i dont know) you increase the cars toe out and vice versa for more mid corner response. A strut brace really is a waste of time on a fairly ordinary lupo!!!!

This. On something like a Lupo the benefits of better turn-in are outweighed by the increase in understeer

:cheers:

since when does a lupo not turn in well???? if you want better turn in and a loss of grip mid corner (why-ever that makes any sense i dont know) you increase the cars toe out and vice versa for more mid corner response. A strut brace really is a waste of time on a fairly ordinary lupo!!!!

A fast road set does make a world of difference, shame the lupo chassis isn't particularly adjustable.

Maybe my post wasnt particularly well worded. Front arb will give better turn in, however it will also make the already understeery car understeer more, and as such is not a worthwhile addition IMO.

I never said it didnt have good initial turn-in

Im confued! LoL do you guys drink neat alcohol because almost none of that post made sense! made me chuckle though! :D

Only joking!

The reason for the brace anyway is my want to track day the car, I do it on the various bikes i've owned so why not the car! and the stiffer the better especially as the car is made from German Jelly

It is an OMP, fixed width strut, supposedly for the Loop 1.4 Sport and Polo 6N (actually says it on the product lable) I do agree that it SHOULD fit but evidently OMP must have used an R&D car without brakes!

The struts mounts have the correct shape cut outs etc to fit the suspension turrets, just that the drivers side mount is at too shallow an angle (see crude attached drawing)

post-6192-1253630250.jpg

The only solution I can fore see it to modify the mount to fit. (or give up and sell it to some poor soul on eBay! :D )

It is an OMP, fixed width strut, supposedly for the Loop 1.4 Sport and Polo 6N (actually says it on the product lable) I do agree that it SHOULD fit but evidently OMP must have used an R&D car without brakes!
OMP only make a Strut brace for Left hand drive Lupos. Hense why it fouls your brake fluid reservoir.

If you had bothered to listen to the voice of experience, You'd have figured out that OMP (Italy) did their R&D on a Left hand drive Lupo (i.e. Italian Spec) where the brake fluid reservoir is on the opposite side of the car (allong with the pedals funnily enough). That's why It's not a 100% spot on fit for a Right hand drive Lupo...

Edited by nfbr

If you had bothered to listen to the voice of experience, You'd have figured out that OMP (Italy) did their R&D on a Left hand drive Lupo (i.e. Italian Spec) where the brake fluid reservoir is on the opposite side of the car (allong with the pedals funnily enough). That's why It's not a 100% spot on fit for a Right hand drive Lupo...

It wouldnt make any odds anyway, the pot would be in the same place, just on the other side and the mounts are also identical angles so same problem.

It wouldnt make any odds anyway, the pot would be in the same place, just on the other side and the mounts are also identical angles so same problem.

I've got an idea... How's about you buy a Left hand drive lupo and fit it on...

If it fits perfectly, You have to pay for the lupo

If it chafes the Brake fluid reservoir, I'll pay for the LHD lupo and you can keep it...

:rolleyes:

It does make a difference as the LHD brake fluid res is situated lower down.

The amount of difference between a lhd and rhd car is absolutely un-real.

It's not like they put them in the photocopier back to front and everything comes out perfect :lol:

IceGeezer - No chance I want the glory on this one! mwoh ha ha

nfbr - umm... ok. bit extreme. but do-able! :lol::lol:

wonder if i could get a LHD fluid pot... hmmm...

nfbr - umm... ok. bit extreme. but do-able! :lol::lol:

wonder if i could get a LHD fluid pot... hmmm...

It's nothing to do with the fluid pot. It's where its mounted.

If you're that eager to get it on, Go find a car which has a brake fluid cap without a sensor in it and By-pass the sensor, that'll knock a good half inch off the height of the thing.

nfbr - even the neck of the bottle without the lid fouls the mount.

I think the solution here is to mill out a hole in the mount to clear the bottle. If that dont work then strut braces just arent meant to be.

:D