17"s on a GTI ? Why does nobody do it ?

S3BOW

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People aren't very imaginative is all. They will fit easily with the right tyres.

The only tyres you can get that are the same size or smaller are the 185/35/17 and 165/35/17 Nankangs aren't they? And they're a bit silly...

Most people on here prefer the look of smaller wheels.

I have 16's on mine at the minute with tiny 165/40 tyres and they look big, in my opinion.

The only tyres you can get that are the same size or smaller are the 185/35/17 and 165/35/17 Nankangs aren't they? And they're a bit silly...

Most people on here prefer the look of smaller wheels.

I have 16's on mine at the minute with tiny 165/40 tyres and they look big, in my opinion.

Yours are quite a big expanse of alloy though aren't they so will this not give the illusion of being bigger ? I was thinking of 17" BBS RX with say a 195 50 17 or 45 17 . The RX has that lip around the edge meaning that the spokes don't travel to the outer edge making them look smaller than they really are . What do you think ?

195/50/17 are enormous! Your speedo would be miles out. And there are plenty of people who've had problems with scrubbing running 195/50/15's on standard suspension, can't imagine you'd be able to get very low without scrubbing on 195/50/17's.

Mark Ikeda had 17's on his with 185/35/17's. I'll see if I can find some pictures...

the nissan grey GTI with 17" VS-WORKS split rims is probably my most favourite lupo I've seen to be honest.

Would the gearing be altered by alot with 17s tho?? wouldn't want to lose acceleration just for the sake of running big wheels if it was me.

Depends on tyre size. Google "tyre size calculator" and go to the miata website, it has a good tool for showing the differences.

Bigger wheels will slow you down anyway, even if the overall rolling radius is the same, due to unsprung weight; it will take more effort to turn the wheels. Whether it's enough to be noticeable or not I don't know.

the nissan grey GTI with 17" VS-WORKS split rims is probably my most favourite lupo I've seen to be honest.

Would the gearing be altered by alot with 17s tho?? wouldn't want to lose acceleration just for the sake of running big wheels if it was me.

thought about this and I think that it would be no bad thing as I think the 6-speed box is very close anyway. You all know how easy it is to skip gears on day to day driving . Jesus, I sound like a right old geezer !

I found this a while back which will show you the difference to rolling circ. etc.

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_we...0calculator.htm

I would like to draw your attention to the photo above of the GTI on 17's with Lexus lights. :P

And do you not think it looked better when he put the Modernlines on?

Im glad you did, the 17s looks much better than the old fashioned 'Modern'lines yes.

If I can find a photo of the car on the 17s without the clear lights you will see what I mean :)

Darren008copy.jpg

185/35s aren't THAT tiny:

onfront.jpg

but if 205/40s fit, then I'd go for them. I think a good set of 17s fill the GTi arches well, as the pics in the thread above show :)

I'm not against small wide wheels. but it's nice to see something different occasionally