Polo Glovebox in a Lupo...Agian!

A few questions for anybody who has done it or looked at doing it...

1. Did they make a Polo with trim the same colour as the Lupo GTI??

2. What parts do i need?? Both sides of the under dash and the center console??

i would imagine you would need the whole lower areas of the dash and centre console

i think heartagram has tried this before i don thtink anyone has made theirs fit properly i cant remmeber who has done it but it was a tad bodged if i remember right

I got about 75% of the way through doing mine but I never actually got around to finishing it. You need to use the Polo passengers side and the Lupo drivers side. The 6N2 dash is different on the drivers side cause I wanted to use it but couldn't. I just used a Lupo centre console to. Its a bit tricky to get right, I should really arse myself to do mine tbh. Specially since the car is in pieces anyway :lol:

That is not the full thing that was when i only had the glove box in and not the drivers side. I think i said in my PM that i thought the polo top dash may be wider i meant narrower. On the polo you have the door cards that come in to the cabin but you don't on the lupo. I think the top half of the polo 6n2 is more square anyway and as a result its not as wide. The polo dash also lacks the tweeters so that indicated they obviously had a reason to move those as well. That could just be because the lupo dash is deeper, who knows.

You cannot get the glovebox or the drivers side to be flush with the end of the dash but you certainly can get them to fit as i have done it. To be honest if i got another Lupo it would be the first thing i would do to it.

You can see the how it has to sit on the lupo compared to the polo

P1010049.jpg

This is the only picture i have of it in and that was held in place with one screw there

2e9b39fee532171a.jpg

You can see how the door card comes into meet the dash so unlike the lupo the dash does not have to stick out in the same way to meet the door.

30874690009_large.jpg

If your anally retentive about it looking 100% OEM then don't do it as it was not designed that way. The way i see it nor was fitting bucket seats or an after market headunit but i personally still like the look of those. As i said its pointless trying to get it mm perfect as nothing on the car is. It is better to do it with the intention in flocking, covering or painting the dash as that will look much more impressive and you can then do more to modify the parts without the worry of damaging the look of the plastic. If you try to fit it thinking that the polo looks just the same so i can fit it in the same way then you will fail it is quite confusing as at first i was trying to line the end of the dash with the end of the lower section of the drivers side and it just would not work. The light switch was an issue as the V section does not 100% line up but its slightly offset. you have to take your que form the centre console and not try to work it out from things like the light switch.

The one area i am still not happy about is the infill between the centre console and the coin tray. It sits fine everywhere apart from where it meets the glovebox and then the line does not run exactly parallel to the door of the box. There are two solutions i can think of and i know at least one will work I am just not going to bother until i am ready to paint it.

The car feels more complete with the glovebox. Without it i certainly would be wanting another car by now. I

could not stand the tray the amount of time i put something on it and it was gone as soon as i went round a bend. I remember putting a pen on my side going round a corner it slid across the other side hit a CD and went straight out the window. At the time it was quite amusing but the novelty went quite fast. Now i want to be able to put a nut, bolt, pen, hard drive, DVI connector, keys, phone, deodorant, batteries, tape, memory cards, lens or one of the other many many things i happen to have in one place and know that when i get to where i was going its still there. I also got fed up of sticking stuff under the seat to hide them from view.

The lack of a glove box and such a small boot were not an issue when i got the car. All i really needed to move was my laptop. It fit in the boot plus sub and amp. I suddenly wanted to use the car for more diverse stuff so it became a big issue

I didn't want to get rid of the car so i found a way to solve both problems and now i'm as happy as a pig in s**t with van lupin

Sheesh, I paid a tenner for the lot.

Some people on eBay want £60 posted for the glovebox!!

Im getting complete center console, glovebox and panel, drivers side panel, coin tray, ash tray and all the fixings... Including posting. (Edit: ..and steering column cowl)

I agree its expensive though for a load on second hand parts, but i dont have all day to go round scrappys.

At least it makes me more determined to make it fit :lol:

Edited by 99hjhm