Disk brakes

Dead easy!

Jack it up

Take the wheel off

Undo the two bolts holding the carriers and calipers on

Undo the little screw holding the disc in place (this can be tricky if it's seized, make sure you put some copper grease on when refitting)

Remove old disc.

Refitting is a reversal of removal. ;)

:)

But remember... Brakes are brakes, don't do it wrong,

If you get changing a light bult wrong, it wont work.... If you get changing the brakes wrong, you are in the cart! If you are unsure, take it to somebody who knows.

Whats the story of a ABT Lupo anyway?

But remember... Brakes are brakes, don't do it wrong,

If you get changing a light bult wrong, it wont work.... If you get changing the brakes wrong, you are in the cart! If you are unsure, take it to somebody who knows.

Whats the story of a ABT Lupo anyway?

Well, I got this LUPO on Saturday and it is a first car.

Black with Alloys and an ABT body kit. It has twin rear exhaust pipes. This was supplied by the dealer, not sur if it was fitted by the dealer or the factory ??

Rear discs are a little trickier, is it front or back you are changing?

Front and it sounds simples, thanks

Dead easy!

Jack it up

Take the wheel off

Undo the two bolts holding the carriers and calipers on

Undo the little screw holding the disc in place (this can be tricky if it's seized, make sure you put some copper grease on when refitting)

Remove old disc.

Refitting is a reversal of removal. ;)

:)

Sounds simples, cheers man

And try not to round off the grub screw when you take it off.

I would always replace the grub screw each time I changed the disc.

They are not expensive, and saves lots of swearing after a couple of uses lol

Mating no chance, she is grubby and needs a scrub.

What grub screw ?? no body said anything about that.

I will get some advice on getting the wheel off too in case the car falls over.

There is a grub screw that holds the disc while you take your wheel off.

It doesnt need to be in.

My previous Polo, my Lupos and my Polo all have had a least one sheared grub screw at one time or the other :lol:

Use a good large pozi screw driver and they are fine.

Oh, and press forward firmly, don't be a girl about it.

Yeah, they can be a bitch. I rounded both of mine off the other day. :doh: One came out with an impact driver and I had to drill the other out.

New ones were 20p from my local motorfactors.

Yeah, they can be a bitch. I rounded both of mine off the other day. :doh: One came out with an impact driver and I had to drill the other out.

New ones were 20p from my local motorfactors.

Well, perhaps this job is not quite that simple for a girl. I will get some male help with the drilling bit.

Thanks for all your advice, I am going to give it a go tonight.

its pretty simple the most difficult part is getting the wee grub screw out...impact screwdriver couple whacks and jobs a goodun, i realised that after spending ages rounding and trying to get it out with a normal screwdriver..doh

im going to fir my rear discs today only thing different that i can see is that the rear pistons need ot be woun dback rather than pushed

Yeah if that screw is a pain you need an impact driver. Often new discs come with a new screw.

Well changing the disks was no problem until..................................... the jack failed........ the car dropped to the floor and put a nice scar on the Black ABT. £150 to fix the paint now Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Well changing the disks was no problem until..................................... the jack failed........ the car dropped to the floor and put a nice scar on the Black ABT. £150 to fix the paint now Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

:o oh shizzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what type of jack was it?!? Gutted for ya matie.

Bad news, but trolley jack and axle stands is the only way. I assume you were using the emergency roadside jack?

£29 @ Argos...

101-7403590MMA72UC593554M.jpg

Yep the silly standard jack is for roadside emergency wheel changes only, they can be seriously dangerous as shown here

Yep the silly standard jack is for roadside emergency wheel changes only, they can be seriously dangerous as shown here

It would be a bloody emergancy if the jack failed and your head was under it, I had just taken it off the Axel stand and was about to put the wheel on, then Crack went the white nylon bit on the jack !!

If it was a new car, VW would be paying for it.

Leson leant the hard way.

doorhole.jpg

The VW jack did this to me! Now I only use it to jack the car up the first 2 inches, until I can get my trolley jack under, Which is from the Argos kit linked earlier in the thread. It's lasted me 7 years, 2 dozen cars, half a dozen engine changes and more sets of wheels than I can imagine!