Lupo's and the motorway

GTi Si

I am considering buying a Lupo 1.4 sport (or an S).

What are they like down the motorways?

I will be doing quite a lot of motorway driving at around `2-3hrs` stints each time.

Are they OK or are the engines slow to accelerate and the ride is poor?

Let me know!

Thanks

S

yeah i only have the 1litre but it drinks the fuel at over 70mph , the only thing that i have heard others say as well bout the motorway is that the car gets battered about summit senseless , just cause of steep sides and light weight

Depends, if you just want a motorway cruiser that's cheap and economical, something like a Golf TDI 130bhp will be comfortable and refined on the motorway.

The Lupo has a lot more character, but generally when people buy a motorway cruiser, they don't want character.

I do motorways everyday, not a lot but dual cw's all the way and I find my TDi absolutely perfect for it (used to have Audi A3 doing the same routes). It uses half the A3s amount of fuel (A3 was 1.6 petrol) and has much better acceleration! I drive at around speed LIMIT at all times ( wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )

QUOTE(TDi Si)
I hate F*rd's smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

S

Vectra laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I have drive Fiesta's, a Micra and a Coura down motorways and they were OK. Not fussed at the speed as long as acceleration is reasonable.

I want the TDi, but cannot find any for good money. £8,000 was the cheapest! And a Revo'adjustment' would have to be done biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Have seen a 1.4 16v though at £5,500 and £5,000

S

There's a bunch on Autotrader for less than that (good range from £6000-£7000), but non particularly close. Depends if you're prepared to travel I guess.

Revo would be the first thing I'd do if I had the TDI Lupo. twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

I don't think you'll find acceleration a problem if you chip the TDI!!

Even without remap TDi cannot be snorted at smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It really delivers the goods, but as snoop said, if you really want a piece of bad a$$ motro under you get it revo'ed asap! BTW, I found a local REVO reseller and I am going to have a 5hr test drive hopefully this weekend!!!

Stay indoors, those of you living in Herts tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> :8

I had the Sport and it is a nippy little thing right up until past 60 and then, of course, it starts to slow down. The torque isn't too impressive, nothing a gear `change-down` wouldn't solve but you have to think about petrol.

The TDI has more torque and without looking at figures I'd imagine it's a lot more economical also. However, I'd say get the Sport for the sheer fun factor, as someone said, for the bends and that centre exhaust.

You can do whatever you fance provided funds and time smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

TDis are best without anything, just a striaght large bore ss pipe from turbo to the back of the car.

Since they are low revving babies noise levels are acceptable:)

I also read that getting rid of diesel catalyst will only gain around 1bhp... not worht it but I guess it's like with everything, you have to take into consideration the whole picture. Ditching cat only and not doing anything else isn't prolly the best `bang-for`-buck solution. If you `re-map` your ECU, get better air delivery system, additional charge cooling and bigger injectors then I'd risk saying that getting rid of the catalyst would pay off handsomly....

QUOTE(Dave_M)
I had the Sport and it is a nippy little thing right up until past 60 and then, of course, it starts to slow down.  The torque isn't too impressive, nothing a gear `change-down` wouldn't solve but you have to think about petrol.

The TDI has more torque and without looking at figures I'd imagine it's a lot more economical also.  However, I'd say get the Sport for the sheer fun factor, as someone said, for the bends and that centre exhaust.

It is lots more economical! I do 350miles from 30 litres of diesel and I do not drive like my granny, trust me! 8). TDi is one massive fun box disguised within a small frame. I was coming back late from work t'nitte and gave her some diesel into her injectors. 100mph sweeping bends and she felt confident, hammered the pedal while exiting one monsta roundabout and she was pulling like mad in a very tight bend with all tyres screeeeeeaming like mad! The suspension travel (LARGE) makes it feel uncertain at the beinning and lots of body roll doubts her ability to demolish corners fast but if you trust her.... you'll get rewarded smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That's all stock with nothing done to it, when I slam ARBs in and some shine struts brace.... gunna need bigger rubber to hold her on the ground smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Diesel rulez!