High Level Brake Light Probs... Is it covered?

Nicki

Hello Laydeez & Gents...

The high level brake light on my GTI is very dim (no jokes please!) & I've booked her into VW for a couple of other warranty bits next week.

I've got all component cover through my second hand warranty until next Jan but want to make sure its covered before I add it to the list of things to do as I don't want to fork out the £70 diagnostic fee if its not covered & to expensive to sort.

I know bulbs aren't covered, but the brake light is LED's & its all of them that are dim which seems to indicate a resistor problem...

Any ideas if it'd be covered chaps & chapesses?

Ta muchly,

N xx

I would push for warrenty mate, if it was bulbs it'd be either working or not, not just dim.

Id try everything through warrenty, if they try charging you diogrossists when its alread in the workshop they'd desirve a slap.

If it turns out to be bulbs. you should only pay for the bulbs..

my high level wasnt working a few month ago, so i booked it in. it was probably only a bulb but they didnt have a clue what they were doing first time round and broke it (not knowing that the spoiler has to come off to get into the light unit). it had to go back in for a whole day to replace the light unit. so be prepared to loose your car for the day mate :cry:

if i remember rightly, blackrat had the same problem as you at the time when mine was nakd, dunno if he had it fixed though :wink:

andrew

Is it actually possible to get to the light without having to take off the spoiler (which is glued on)?

I thought not, as I'm sure we've covered this when discussing condensation in the light.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though. What does it show on your CD Snoop?

nope still not fixed , its still dim as as ..... erm smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

not really prepared to pay whatever stupid amount they want to fix it

if you find out why its doing it lets us know please Nicki

VW claim it's supposed to be held on by two screws, accessible if you remove the rubber bellows from the top edge of the tailgate...

spoiler.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Not going to try it just to find out though wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

My 3rd brakelight was renewed under warranty when it got water in it and went dim.

Spoiler is bolted on but should also be sealed to the boot and here is why.

When the boot is wet and you open it, all the water runs up the glass and under the spoiler. This then gets into the brakelight and causes both wetness (condensation) and either dimming or total failure. By bonding the spoiler on this problem is prevented.

*edit* oh and you have to remove the spoiler from the bootlid to get the brakelight out...bummer isnt it!

yeah its glued on for deffo, otherwise they could have got it off the first time i took it down to them. mine has got a bit condensation in now like, so it will probably ****** up again no doubt! :cry:

Didn't someone on here have a wobbly/loose spoiler? That would suggest that the sealing process isn't always done...

Anyway, one of the times my spoiler was resprayed it came back with a very dim brakelight - I took it back and they replaced the lot. (FOC of course - don't you love warranties)

No news yet, but its going in on Weds so I'll keep you all posted!

I'm also getting them to sort out my passenger side window (which currently won't open at all) & to sort out the suspension top mounts which are making an "interesting" noise when I go round corners, over bumps, carry passengers etc etc...