Paintwork

NickSL

Well after picking up my Lupo a few weeks ago, the first thing I did was give it a well needed clean. Unfortunately, this uncovered a rather major looking issue with the paintwork.

The bonnet, doors, front panels, bumpers, boot and roof all seem perfectly normal with the gloss black. However, the rear side panels (the ones which the rear windows are located) seem to have been sprayed or have gone funny. Instead of being the gloss black they are a matte black. There is no definitive line between where it goes matte to gloss on the top of the car. Im not sure whether this is the paint going funny or a respray. I don't think it has been accident damage as only the two side panels are like this, not the boot or anything. Also, the paint around the fuel lid is split/scratched. I have added a few pictures to the bottom, I will try and get a few more tomorrow.

Does anyone have an Idea as to what this may be? And also, is there anything I would be able to do to minimise the effect of it or remove it without spending loads of cash on a respray or anything?

Thanks.

Pic of the side panel matte against the gloss of the drivers door.

DSCF3397.jpg

Pic of the fuel lid with split/scratched paint.

DSCF3398.jpg

Small dent, looks more serious in the picture then it is. The car has got a fair few scratches on it for a 1999 but the inside is pretty much spotless. I haven't got anything of proof that says It hasn't been in an accident, only the fact that is the two back side panels which are matte and I cant think of any accident scenarios where just the back two side panels would be damaged... I would get an HPI check but being 17 Im completely limited on funds.

No point in doing an HPI, it wont change anything!

You could sort that yourself I reckon, I would certainly have a go. Some wet and dry, and either a rotaty polisher or a lot of elbow grease!

No point in doing an HPI, it wont change anything!

You could sort that yourself I reckon, I would certainly have a go. Some wet and dry, and either a rotaty polisher or a lot of elbow grease!

2nd that,

be careful on the edges tho both with the wet n dry an the polisher as to not take it to bear metal,

you could get it flat shiney this way, unless the person that spayed it didnt sand it down properly an then it will just peel off an not feather in at all.

I'd say perfect excuse to have a go yourself. After all you can't exactly make it worst!

That's what I thought. I needed a reason to get a rotary polisher!

Thanks guys for all the advice/help. I'll give it a go next weekend and post up some pics when Iv'e finished (hopefully with a notable difference). Thanks again.

That's been rattlecanned.

get a quote or 2 to paint the rear 1/4... NOT at VW though!!

Have ago yourself.... Black VW paint for halfords, tin of clearcote, Cost you £30 max to have ago. I'm doing my GTI rear spoiler at the moment, luckily I have a professional painter to spray it, rattle can base coat and 2K lacquer.

You might have a problem of what even you put on might react.... deffo on the fuel filler, that need's total strippage.

You could try a decent car valeter, the one near here has that G3 compound stuff and an orbital sander or whatever it is, a few mates had cars done and its **** hot from what ive seen takes out reasonably deep scratches.

Deek

Well after picking up my Lupo a few weeks ago, the first thing I did was give it a well needed clean. Unfortunately, this uncovered a rather major looking issue with the paintwork.

The bonnet, doors, front panels, bumpers, boot and roof all seem perfectly normal with the gloss black. However, the rear side panels (the ones which the rear windows are located) seem to have been sprayed or have gone funny. Instead of being the gloss black they are a matte black. There is no definitive line between where it goes matte to gloss on the top of the car. Im not sure whether this is the paint going funny or a respray. I don't think it has been accident damage as only the two side panels are like this, not the boot or anything. Also, the paint around the fuel lid is split/scratched. I have added a few pictures to the bottom, I will try and get a few more tomorrow.

Does anyone have an Idea as to what this may be? And also, is there anything I would be able to do to minimise the effect of it or remove it without spending loads of cash on a respray or anything?

Thanks.

Pic of the side panel matte against the gloss of the drivers door.

DSCF3397.jpg

Pic of the fuel lid with split/scratched paint.

DSCF3398.jpg

I think im going to have to live with it, atleast for a while :P.

I bought a rotary polisher today and went at it like a madman for a few hours, definatley looks a fair bit shinier and clearer. Thanks again for all your help guys.