Dash removal

Hi,

I had a rattle that I wanted to find and my vin badge had fallen off and out of sight so I decided to take the dash off.

I got it to a place where it was very loose so could get the vin badge back on (and I found the rattle). I think I'd got every screw out from all the stowage, centre console, centre air vents, dials, heaters, footwells etc (but didn't take the steering wheel off) but it still wouldn't move too far but it was all I needed. Anyway, putting it back on is turning out to be a right b*stard and could do with some advice. Problems I've got:

I cant get it to go far enough back towards the windscreen - I can nearly fit my fingers between the glass and the dash. Its worse on the passenger side.

The heater temperature control won't go to hot - the cable is too tight and it just spins back to warm-ish.

Anyone got any thoughts? How do you get the dash back on satisfactorily (bearing in mind its not moving far even with all the screws out so its difficult to mate up)? Is it particularly helpful to have two people (one to push whilst other screws?)?

Thanks

Jon

That was the guide I followed (I got it off that thread like a non noob searching wizard!) Just wondered if anyone has some real life advice from actually doing it?

Of note though (on page 5)

"• Remove hexagon nuts -arrows-.

Note:

• The two hexagon nuts are visible first after removing the combi instrument."

I couldn't find the hexagon nuts.

Really not looking forward to unscrewing it all again and trying to wrestle it further back because I'm sure its caught / stuck.

Jon

Hi,

I had a rattle that I wanted to find and my vin badge had fallen off and out of sight so I decided to take the dash off.

I got it to a place where it was very loose so could get the vin badge back on (and I found the rattle). I think I'd got every screw out from all the stowage, centre console, centre air vents, dials, heaters, footwells etc (but didn't take the steering wheel off) but it still wouldn't move too far but it was all I needed. Anyway, putting it back on is turning out to be a right b*stard and could do with some advice. Problems I've got:

I cant get it to go far enough back towards the windscreen - I can nearly fit my fingers between the glass and the dash. Its worse on the passenger side.

The heater temperature control won't go to hot - the cable is too tight and it just spins back to warm-ish.

Anyone got any thoughts? How do you get the dash back on satisfactorily (bearing in mind its not moving far even with all the screws out so its difficult to mate up)? Is it particularly helpful to have two people (one to push whilst other screws?)?

Thanks

Jon

did you remove the bolts that come through from the engine bay, inbetween the bulkhead and under windscreen? if not and you have pulled you may of bent the metal brackets and this is stopping it from going back

yeh, well it sounds like you've got problems from the heater arear then if they are done properly, the air bag is above the heater and is inside a metal basket/case maybe your fouling it.

• Like 1

Did you remove the radio and all the dash trim? As mitch said if you pulled it you might have bent the brackets behind, or maybe the heater ducting isnt lining up properly. Also if your heater controls arent working properly its obviously telling you that you must be pulling on the wire somewhere. My advice is to get it all off properly and start again, its a lot easier.

you have the ones that you access from the front outside the car, (scutter/wipers?)

and the two side bolts, there the main ones, unless the loom or something is pushing it away, if you push the dash will it go to where u want it?

i hated doing mine, i will never do it again

Cheers for all the help. Was stuck on two bolts behind the steering wheel. They were a mission to find! Dash is now off to all intents and purposes. I haven't taken the steering wheel off (or unclipped all the loom from the dash) but if I did I could take the dash out of the car.

But... heater wire is still not right and I can now see that its not being impeded by any dash parts. Its not snagged anywhere - I can see right through to the blue lever that it pulls on. If I move the controls closer to the direction of the wire it makes no difference so its not that its too tight. The sleeve on the wire is moving with the cable though which surely isn't right? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Jon

• 8 months later...

two small holes behind spokes inside the wheel is a large ring that is levered in over through these holes to remove airbag,do not pull as you will more than likely unravel the air bag ring,then centre nut.

I take this topic rather than create another one.

I wanted to know if it was possible to remove the upper of the centre dash, the part shaped like a T above the one with the radio unit.

I removed the radio one but after I can't do anything, it seems very well established/instaled (?). :(

yeah you have got to give it a lot of force! yeah will be replacable

I dont think its designed to be removed and replaced again tbh. I havnt managed to push mine back in all the way. I plan to do it when the whole dash is out cos its quite akward under the windscreen