Can a lupo be bored out to a 1.8?

SJH92

Boring it would make the piston to piston wall too thin to then go and turbo it.

The 1.8t bore size is 81mm with an 86.4 stroke and a 9.5:1 compressio ratio and a 19mm piston pin i think.

The lupo GTi engine for example is a 76.5mm bore with an 86.9 stroke and an 11.5:1 compressio ratio and a 17mm piston pin.

The GTi engine has piston guided rods, im not sure if the 1.8t has them.

Not sure if the 1.8t con rod journals are the same width as the gti crank anyway.

The work you are talking about to bore out the engine, would take as much if not more effort than doing a 1.8t conversion. Plus it would be no way stronger. So basically its a no.

You could look at the 1.4tsi engine, see what that has to offer, but if you dont know too much about engines, this is a bit of a big project to take on as your first!

John

131kg iirc when I started researching.

The trouble is finding a nicely bumped golf gt sport (the 170ps version) to buy and use for a donor!

the 1.4 twin charge and turbo charge are being introduced to more models across the VAG range so more options will be available in the future for salvage.

as for the 1.8 boring of the 1.6 would it really be more expensive than getting another engine and paying for the conversion to done? i mean to keep it as a bored to 1.8 normally aspirated. i guess its a lot of work for not too much gain, still it would be different/interesting.

i think the k series of engines 1.4 1.6 and 1.8 are all the same basic block.

and we know from wild cammed 1.8 engines from honda and toyota 190bhp NA is a reasonable power goal, or with the k series engines 160bhp is what they were running i think in the mgf and some elise.

Edited by darwin

as for the 1.8 boring of the 1.6 would it really be more expensive than getting another engine and paying for the conversion to done? i mean to keep it as a bored to 1.8 normally aspirated.

Think about it, You need a donor engine to start with! or a set of rods/pistons from a 1.8, and there rather expensive from the stealers! then you need to do the work to the gti engine!

Then you need to remove the engine and have the block rebored, Think of the labour involved in that, Ive just rebuilt my engine remember. Theres alot involved, then a full rebuild kit for the engine (BTW bottom end shells for the GTi engine are £21 a pair and you need 5 pairs) ..... i bet you could get hold of a whole engine to do a conversion for the price involvced in all that work easily.

John

Think about it, You need a donor engine to start with! or a set of rods/pistons from a 1.8, and there rather expensive from the stealers! then you need to do the work to the gti engine!

Then you need to remove the engine and have the block rebored, Think of the labour involved in that, Ive just rebuilt my engine remember. Theres alot involved, then a full rebuild kit for the engine (BTW bottom end shells for the GTi engine are £21 a pair and you need 5 pairs) ..... i bet you could get hold of a whole engine to do a conversion for the price involvced in all that work easily.

John

thats that answered then.

having said that it may still appeal to someone who has a salvage 1.8 engine, can do the work themselves and fancies an NA engine while keeping the 1.6 block. is there any flexibility in the stroke length to get extra capacity out fo the 1.6 block?

It wouldnt work to start off with.

The GTi is a 76.5mm bore, the 1.8 is an 81mm bore, meaning a 4.5mm diameter increase on each piston bore. The piston wall between the cylinders on the gti are only about 5mm to start, so there would be no wall clearance left after youd finished, end of.

John

thanks for the info guys i am totally confused with engines dunno what is what lol

when i get my car i want to convert it but propper OEM yano i'd like power with out that much work plus its only a lupo so they should move shouldnt they,

i was thinking a 1.6 out of an A2 or some thing or even a gti but that would need tuning,

Also how far can you take the 1.7 sdi loop, like can it be turbo'd or anything like that, do they have good power as standard aswell.

+ with more power could it cope with 6j wheels ? feelin tangis or starlite alloys :) after some g60's

Edited by SJH92