why going too low makes handling worse..

darwin

on slammed cars using macpherson struts, the angle between strut axis and control arm maybe 90 degrees or over. if this is the case under cornering instead of gaining negative camber the wheel will gain positive camber which will give progressively less grip on the corner. which is bad..

would be intersted to get some results of angle measurements on peoples lowered cars. i will try and get mine from my -30mm drop gti. i guess i will need to get a protractor which i havent had since school.

there are ways you can correct this angle by adjusting the control arm with modified parts, should anyone wish to improve things.

on slammed cars using macpherson struts, the angle between strut axis and control arm maybe 90 degrees or over. if this is the case under cornering instead of gaining negative camber the wheel will gain positive camber which will give progressively less grip on the corner. which is bad..

would be intersted to get some results of angle measurements on peoples lowered cars. i will try and get mine from my -30mm drop gti. i guess i will need to get a protractor which i havent had since school.

there are ways you can correct this angle by adjusting the control arm with modified parts, should anyone wish to improve things.

most who are really low dont care as it looks cool as funk .

i know what your saying tho

Need roll centre adjusters to sort the wishbones out, not sure if they make them for lupo's though and if they do they are going to be pricey. They are £250 for my civic. :(

I have decided they aren't worth it, but im not that low.

it maybe possible to use universal shims/spacers. but i think to know at what point the 90 degrees is achieved could be useful, i expect that normal suspension lowering kits -30 to -45mm will be ok, maybe even -60mm. anything more on coil over kits could be reaching the "too low" point for camber progression.

i need to disconnect my bags!!!!

:huh: mine was about as low as yours wasnt it ? i hit a dear at 60mph , never set the airbags off , i hit a breaze block brick at 45ish mph and never set them off ?

erm not sure on this, i'm entirely geussing but i wander if after market suspension manufacturers move the hub carrier bolt centers further inboard to counteract this.... hmmm i'll be measuring mine this weekend then!!!!

thinking further about it though i cant imagine that would be doing the driveshaft any good though

just so long as you dont go beyond a 40mm drop or so you should still be within vw's suspension travel tolerances with shortened dampers.

Edited by Toi gulp