Supercharging

VWR Lupo

I know there are many of you on here that have supercharged lupo's and we all know how it all works but what I'm intrested in is how much it has cost's from start to finish!

I'm wanting to do the rosa but I need to know what kind of budget I will be looking at to complete the job!

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Edited by VWR Lupo

I know there are many of you on here that have supercharged lupo's and we all know how it all works but what I'm intrested in is how much it has cost's from start to finish!

I'm wanting to do the rosa but I need to know what kind of budget I will be looking at to complete the job!

Thanks in advance.

Luke

4-5k

4-5k

depends,

a: are you mechanically minded?

b: are you doing the job lot? (forged internals, uprated cams etc etc)

c: do you know anyone in the trade who can get you some discounted parts?

etc etc

it all depends who you are & who you know

depends,

a: are you mechanically minded?

b: are you doing the job lot? (forged internals, uprated cams etc etc)

c: do you know anyone in the trade who can get you some discounted parts?

etc etc

it all depends who you are & who you know

Hay Kev!

Yea i will be doing all the work apart from the mapping! I think a Mini Cooper S supercharger will be what im looking for. Dont think I will be uprating the internals tho I will see what its all like when I fit the decompression plate!

I know many people so getting parts made wont be a problem!

Is 3k a realistic budget?

He worked for Volkswagen Racing for a few years... Then did a small Stint at Backdraft Motorsport!

you learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

my bad,

err 3k? hmm... without internals etc i'd realistically look between 3-4k since you will know what you are doing, if you know someone who can map it up for you (for a more reasonable mates rate :P ) after you've done your handy work though, that will save you some pennies ;) no matter what your budget is though, even if your the stingiest git in the world, be prepared to over-spend atleast a little

Theres not that many of us! 2 Gti's and 2 sports. With mabe another Gti in the pipeline, and 1 ongoing project.

Ive been asked this question a few times.

Personally id listen to the guys who have done it, because they know what real costs are involved. Others can only estimate.

Its all down to the parts and what you want to acheive in the end of the day.

you can get away with parts off other cars, or get custom bespoke parts that make it your own, its clearly down to what you personally want. If you went with parts off other cars and no internals or headwork, or a custom exhaust then i reckon it could be acheived with £3000, it would see you a good 170-180bhp from the 1.4 100bhp motor, as that what pauls is.

Just to let you know, mine will have cost me in the region of £6500 when its finished, internals do add alot to a project, oh and a good ecu.... those two parts alone alone worth close to £3600!

Luke, do you know adam who also had a stint at VWR, goes to brooklands college? I think your who adam was talking about a few weeks back!

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Theres not that many of us! 2 Gti's and 2 sports. With mabe another Gti in the pipeline, and 1 ongoing project.

One more sport here, though whenever the funds are right then i'll start putting bits together onto the car, so far it's cost me £500 but then, i am on a tight budget myself, that includes the charger, raceland manifold with heat wrapping, galaxy intercooler and decompression plate. Still plenty more bits to get though. I myself am hoping for the 170ish mark.

John is someone to listen to, i'd suggest looking through his thread, proper good read!

Andy's project is also a very good one too. As is Pauls, being the first on here to have the charger fitted to a lupo. So that ones been running for the better part of 2 years i think, possible more. i've slept lots since then..

Cheers.

Pauls, being the first on here to have the charger fitted to a lupo.

Hakeem (Lupocharged) was the First to have a charger on a lupo. He had a Silver 1.4S with a 1.6 GTi Engine plumbed upto a small Rotrex charger :)

Ah yeah, thanks for correcting me, i was still new to the lupo game then and i forgot that i'd seen that particular car at the clubgti megameet a few years back, '05 i think. Yep, i took photos of it, i've uploaded them for comparison to the other eaton charger setups.

PICT9624.jpg

PICT9626.jpg

Luke, do you know adam who also had a stint at VWR, goes to brooklands college? I think your who adam was talking about a few weeks back!

I do know Adam mate, did about a year with us! He has a Corrado!

Is he one of your mates?

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated!

If im looking at around 4k it may be cheaper to go 1.8T, really not sure on what I want to do! The car is fantastic and I just need to take it to another level!

I'd go 1.8T personally... :)

Rotrex chargers have the same issue as G-Laders - they run off an oil feed from the engine, the oil seals blow. Excellent but temperamental IMO.

Thats what I'm thinking, you can pick up a complete engine, loom, clocks and keys ect for around 1k and its easy to make fit and good power straight away!

Its also quite a quick fit as well!

I do know Adam mate, did about a year with us! He has a Corrado!

Is he one of your mates?

Yeah he is, im friends with one of his mates off the course hes doing atm. Were all involved in a track mi16 conversion in to a 205 at the moment. Help a mate out when needed.

I think that engine of hakeems had 210bhp didnt it? big old piping on that system!

John

Thats what I'm thinking, you can pick up a complete engine, loom, clocks and keys ect for around 1k and its easy to make fit and good power straight away!

Its also quite a quick fit as well!

Yeah, when you charge a 1.4 16v and you're pushing 190bhp on stock internals, you're stressing the engine - different story on forged bits but like John said... not cheap!

Whilst a 1.8T, 190bhp is nothing is it :)

but the weight?

handling? etc?

A supercharger, pipework, and intercooler is not light. Granted, probably not as much as a 1.8 engine, but you're still adding weight over the front of the car. If we get really geeky, you're also adding weight in front of the axle, and at a fair height. :rolleyes:

A supercharger, pipework, and intercooler is not light. Granted, probably not as much as a 1.8 engine, but you're still adding weight over the front of the car. If we get really geeky, you're also adding weight in front of the axle, and at a fair height. :rolleyes:

yer that is fair enough, but i dont see a 1.8t lump & a supercharged 1.4 lump being anywhere near the same league of weight? :huh: