Removing the dashboard

mcmillanuk

Hi there,

Just wondering if there's a how to on how to remove the dashboard? I've done a search and can't find what I'm looking for (apologies if there is one).

Basically I've got a leak coming onto the (left foot) rest in the drivers footwell - I thought it might be the clutch cable gromit, but it appears to be fine. Most garages aren't going to touch it, so I'm reluctantly going to take it apart and see if any obvious issues spring up. Also had the drains checked, but I can't see any obvious blockages.

If anyone does have a link to removing the dash, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

Is the scuttle panel clean of any debris eg leaves etc, or has your rear windscreen tube come off. Thats sometimes a cause.

No debris that I can see mate, I'll have a look for the tube and check, though it's leaking when it's raining and when it's not, the windows are white.

Just an absolute pain :(

only other thing to do is to get someone to sit in car whilst you pour water on it... it does sound like somethings blocked the drain holes though.. hopefully it will be an easy fix

Thanks for that Andy, it's getting the kettle treatment at the moment - funnily enough, it doesn't seem to be coming in from the area below the wipers as I'd initially thought...the plot thickens!

I'll bet the water is coming in via the filter and ventilation fan. There are drain holes nearby which get blocked with leaves etc. When it rains hard, the drain hole(s) cannot cope and the water overflows into the footwell. In light rain the drain holes cope and there is no flooding.

RAB

I'll bet the water is coming in via the filter and ventilation fan. There are drain holes nearby which get blocked with leaves etc. When it rains hard, the drain hole(s) cannot cope and the water overflows into the footwell. In light rain the drain holes cope and there is no flooding.

RAB

Rab - is there any chance you could point these out on a picture?? Is it the part behind the plastic panel? If you could point it out, I'd really appreciate it.

Out of interest, how do I become a full member - the help I've received is worth it alone!

undo the screws on the plastic cover where your scuttle panel is, this should enable you to look behind and see if it is blocked. This is where i meant beforehand to check.. :doh:

Doh indeed :D

I did check there but didn't see anything but I'll have another look tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help

Quick update, removed the scuttle pan and the ventilation fan before I left work this evening and behind was a big pile up of leaves and general rubbish - I couldn't see any drainage holes (but there's every chance I'm just not looking in the right palce), so I'm not sure if they were in the way of anything. Hope it rains tomorrow so I can find out, though in my gut I'm not too sure :)

Rab - is there any chance you could point these out on a picture?? Is it the part behind the plastic panel? If you could point it out, I'd really appreciate it.

Immediately under the windscreen, on the driver's side, and behind the fire wall (bulkhead) - at least mine is except it is not on the driver's side as it a 3L! It's where the pollen filter is if you have one. Remove the plastic cover below the windscreen and there it is. The drainholes connect to the wheelarch. The drainholes are not obvious especially as the compartment will be full of leaves etc. I'll post a picture in the next few days if necessary.

RAB

Immediately under the windscreen, on the driver's side, and behind the fire wall (bulkhead) - at least mine is except it is not on the driver's side as it a 3L! It's where the pollen filter is if you have one. Remove the plastic cover below the windscreen and there it is. The drainholes connect to the wheelarch. The drainholes are not obvious especially as the compartment will be full of leaves etc. I'll post a picture in the next few days if necessary.

RAB

Hmm, I only noticed the filter on the passenger side - I'll have a look tomorrow. Wish it was outside my house at the moment so I could check

Well hopefully thats whats been causing your wet floor..

..hopefully Andy! And to think I sold an mr2 as it wouldn't stop leaking for a more refined watertight car! :D

:lol: im sure that now you have cleaned it all out then wont have no more problems, its common mate as my old mans fabia was doing the same..water pouring in if it raining.. 2nd time of asking the garage to check it they finally cleaned it out.

:lol: im sure that now you have cleaned it all out then wont have no more problems, its common mate as my old mans fabia was doing the same..water pouring in if it raining.. 2nd time of asking the garage to check it they finally cleaned it out.

I hope so, or if off back to the mr2 :D

I got it in April so I'm hoping it's probably just been highlighted over the wet winter...touch wood!

just drill a hole in the footwell let the water run out, vaseline the hole and see if you get more water.... or (for the more sensible) let it dry normally (if it stays wet too long it'll stink), if it gets wet again then start pulling bits off. i've seen a footwell literally sopping with water, turned out it was a freak accident involving someone spilling a bottle of water without the driver noticing.

id say wait, if it happens again start investigating