Custom Boot Install

Hey all, i was thinking of getting a custom build for 2 subs and an amp in my Loop Sport a few months back, but was put of at the space in the boot and was told that there would be problems gettin it all in the boot.

Recently a mate (who owns a 6N polo) and i were chatting about boot installs, and i came up with the idea of taking out the carpet that covers the Spare wheel, templating it, and making a new1 out of MDF or what ever, and mounting a sub in the MDF so it would fit where the spare wheel goes.

I would place down Matting on the bass of the Area as you would when putting speakers in the door panels and such, and carpet the MDF, then place the sub sumwhere!

Would this be ok? and has any1 done this yet, if so, what were the results?

Thanks

James

come the better weather il be makin a fiberglass boot install for mine it's not entirely difficult to do if ur fairly handy, I've built some door speaker pods before and it was fairly straight forward

any pics of the door builds?

depends, if your wanting looks or good sound, its not simply building a box that fits in somewhere snug theres alot of factors to consider, for example if ported size of port tunning, and if enclosed how big the box is and how close the sub is to the back of the box, im sick of pimp my ****ing ride who m ake a frame fibre glasss it wack decent Loads JL subs in . 1 JL sub in a tunned box would sound better than all of them .. really grinds my gears :P

but anyway, check the ice section out and my opinion, get someone who knows how to build a box built for the sub and tune it properly, basic getting the most oiut of the audio :)

depends, if your wanting looks or good sound, its not simply building a box that fits in somewhere snug theres alot of factors to consider, for example if ported size of port tunning, and if enclosed how big the box is and how close the sub is to the back of the box, im sick of pimp my ****ing ride who m ake a frame fibre glasss it wack decent Loads JL subs in . 1 JL sub in a tunned box would sound better than all of them .. really grinds my gears :P

but anyway, check the ice section out and my opinion, get someone who knows how to build a box built for the sub and tune it properly, basic getting the most oiut of the audio :)

or u can build the correct size box for the sub and build around then fiberglass it..then u dont have to worry about if ur fiberglass acoustics is correct

anyhoo heres a pic of my door pods for the guy who asked. was before i trimmed them in alcantra type material to match my old seats

nothing spectacular but the principlesare the same

pic0023ww0.jpg

pic in car

s40100688mq.jpg

I wasnt going to put it in a box, it would just rest against the MDF flooring that id cut out, And a small port either side of it, soming like a moon shape that follows the curves of the sub?

Able to do, and worth it??

James

You can have it sounding good and built into the spare wheel compartment. You'll need to cover the the boot floor in sound damping sheet before laying acoustic carpet. If you lay the same sutff over the new MDF floor there's no reason why it'd sound ****? You've just created a sub box..

I'm doing it to my loop in january.. Well i'm paying someone to do it!

Larry

You can have it sounding good and built into the spare wheel compartment. You'll need to cover the the boot floor in sound damping sheet before laying acoustic carpet. If you lay the same sutff over the new MDF floor there's no reason why it'd sound ****? You've just created a sub box..

I'm doing it to my loop in january.. Well i'm paying someone to do it!

Larry

you havent created a box becuae it isnt sealed, if u want to do it this way you would need to make a moulded sub box of fiberglass that fits into ur spare wheel well and deal it up the the mdf floor so that iot air tight and structurally sound

SC02 FFF Posted Nov 28 2008, 08:42 PM

great job jamie, where did you get your fibre glass stuff from need to get some! any tips

i just got a pack of stuff from halfords its ok for doing small jobs but its fairly expensive for all that you get,

all i done was

mask up my door and layed some fiberglass on the masking tape once i had my door mould u cut my mdf ring hot glued it the mould in the right position then strecthed some cotton round the whole thing to get the shape

i then soaked it in resin then layered up sum fiberglass mat fairly easy really, just takes a little time

there plenty of info on the net about how to do it i cant remember the site i had it had some videos and stuff showing what to do

Hey, iv got a company that are going to create the box in the spair-wheels area, £150 parts and labour, and they tune it to be pritty much perfect!

Does any1 know if the Alpine Type R sub would fit, either 10" or 12", or should i play it safe and get the shallow sub?

Was also thinking of the Vibe Space 2 sub????

Any thorts?

James

Hey, iv got a company that are going to create the box in the spair-wheels area, £150 parts and labour, and they tune it to be pritty much perfect!

Does any1 know if the Alpine Type R sub would fit, either 10" or 12", or should i play it safe and get the shallow sub?

Was also thinking of the Vibe Space 2 sub????

Any thorts?

James

if ur getting sum one to make the box then ask them what sub would be best to put in it im assuming theyll prob do youa deal with one since ur throwin 150 quid at them

if ur getting sum one to make the box then ask them what sub would be best to put in it im assuming theyll prob do youa deal with one since ur throwin 150 quid at them

They saked what sub it was, so i said to them, either the 10" or 12" type R from Alpine, and she said ok we can do that, we exchanged small talk bout sizes and fittings, and she said that if they arent ok, then the shallow sub is an option, but said its up to me as it was just an option, not a proffered recomendation!

All she said was to measure they whole where the spair goes, if any1 knows the measurements??

James

• 2 weeks later...