Engine swap

carnut787

I do love my arosa, the way it looks, the interior, fairly newness etc.... but it's not exactly fast ;)

I was just wondering what my options might be if i wanted to do an engine swap maybe some time next year. Anyone got anything for me? One of my mates said he'd seen a G40 engine fit a lupo i think it was? :huh:

Edited by carnut787

I do love my arosa, the way it looks, the interior, fairly newness etc.... but it's not exactly fast ;)

I was just wondering what my options might be if i wanted to do an engine swap maybe some time next year. Anyone got anything for me? One of my mates said he'd seen a G40 engine fit a lupo i think it was? :huh:

Sell it and buy a faster Arosa, a sport maybe?

That is possible yes lol, they seem pretty expensive tho, i thought an engine swap might work out cheaper if it didn't involve too much custom building/butchering. I may be wrong though, have no idea really :) that's what i'm here for haha

I think in the end it may cost more as you may have to change parts such as your gearbox etc and then it comes to the insurance, a transplanted car will always cost more than the equivalent model would. I wouldn't bother with putting a G40 in either, they are getting very old and tired now and aren't the most reliable engine out of the VAG range, would be cool though and they sound the tits!

My opinion would be for you to go for an Arosa Sport if you like the shape and style of the 'Rosa's.

I wouldn't bother with putting a G40 in either, they are getting very old and tired now and aren't the most reliable engine out of the VAG range, would be cool though and they sound the tits!

Very sound advice. :lol:

They go well in a small Polo, and sound awesome at full chat, but they're only 115bhp standard.

If you want a supercharger, I would charge a 1.6 16v engine from a GTi like John on here has.

Very sound advice. :lol:

They go well in a small Polo, and sound awesome at full chat, but they're only 115bhp standard.

If you want a supercharger, I would charge a 1.6 16v engine from a GTi like John on here has.

130bhp after taking out the restrictor.

Sounds good about the 1.6, any idea what kinda price id be looking at for this approx? Just getting some ideas thats all. :)

I think in the end it may cost more as you may have to change parts such as your gearbox etc and then it comes to the insurance, a transplanted car will always cost more than the equivalent model would. I wouldn't bother with putting a G40 in either, they are getting very old and tired now and aren't the most reliable engine out of the VAG range, would be cool though and they sound the tits!

My opinion would be for you to go for an Arosa Sport if you like the shape and style of the 'Rosa's.

What are you on about?

My mates G40 hit 160,000 on the clock and was running 160bhp and it was fine. He only had the engine rebuilt for peace of mind.

Those old SOHC engines are a goldmine, the only running issues you get with a G40 is 99% of the time charger related.

These 1.4 DOHC engines in the Lupo are just plain ****e. I've heard nothing but pistons failing at 80k.

In fact I haven't heard of a G40 not making easily past the 120,000 mile mark.

If you want a GTI engine it will have to be a Polo GTI engine and not a Lupo GTI engine...this is because the Polo GTI has a cable clutch and so would be less work to wire up.

Edited by Niche

What are you on about?

My mates G40 hit 160,000 on the clock and was running 160bhp and it was fine. He only had the engine rebuilt for peace of mind.

Those old SOHC engines are a goldmine, the only running issues you get with a G40 is 99% of the time charger related.

These 1.4 DOHC engines in the Lupo are just plain ****e. I've heard nothing but pistons failing at 80k.

In fact I haven't heard of a G40 not making easily past the 120,000 mile mark.

If you want a GTI engine it will have to be a Polo GTI engine and not a Lupo GTI engine...this is because the Polo GTI has a cable clutch and so would be less work to wire up.

lol remove off topic and attitude moves elsewhere, haha. no need , no need.

what do you mean wire up a cable clutch?

to run a polo gti motor in a lupo you need to do more wiring work than an old g40 motor would need, and i'd not bother personaly as these are getting on , if you do want to upgrade i suggest a polo 1600 8v motor from a mk4 polo 100bhp one has been done cant remeber user name but the engine block etc is basically same as 1.0 externally.