CRANKCASE OIL BREATHER

MARKY46

Hi folks

How exactly does the oil breather pipe remove from the crankcase?? Busy doing the timing belt and water pump and noticed the familiar gunk in the hose when I removed it form the air filter housing. Also noticed that the pipe seems to have sucked in on itself so I'm going to replace it. Didn't get good chance to have a look at how it connects to the crank case but I couldn't see any noticable clamps or clips holding it on. Does it just push on or is it held in some other way??

Thanks in advance for your help folks...

the above is for the pipe only, the box is held on by 3 allen bolts best done from underneath looking upover.

hey mate

the only thing the breather pipe is attacthed to is the air filter housing which is on the top of the engine and the one way vavle which is at the bottom of the engine.

but if your going to do it properly i would take off the one way valve off also and give it a real good clean n its only 3 bolts to take it off

oh and change the breather pipe i wouldnt recomend resusing the pipe as it has changed shape because it will breath aswell

after that you throttle response should be alot better

Edited by THE GREEN MACHINE

• 3 months later...
hey mate

the only thing the breather pipe is attacthed to is the air filter housing which is on the top of the engine and the one way vavle which is at the bottom of the engine.

but if your going to do it properly i would take off the one way valve off also and give it a real good clean n its only 3 bolts to take it off

oh and change the breather pipe i wouldnt recomend resusing the pipe as it has changed shape because it will breath aswell

after that you throttle response should be alot better

if i use an oil flush will this clean the one way valve or do i have to remove it to clean it.

To relieve any pressure build up in the bottom end. Its a cheap and nasty hack by manufacturers to plumb the bottom end into the intake ducting, so the vaccum of the engine itself (via the inlet manifold) sucks any pressure out of the bottom end. This inevitably means the pipe and intake track gets caked in oil as the oil and residue gets pulled into the pipe and intake. This is why some remove the plumbing into the intake track and use a custom catch can of some kind.

Edited by Kavedog

VW's pre 2000-2005 had them.

On the newer VW's after 2000-2005 they are directly routed into the inlet manifold so oil doesn't clog up the airbox, air filter and throttle body.

The system itself has been revised because I've noticed that clear water seems to treacle out the exhaust where as the older VW's just chuck out dirty oil.

Edited by Niche

• 1 month later...
one way valve

is this the box the breather pipe connects too with the allen key bits?? if so, if this is clogged could it be causeing my :

Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air Bank 1: Range 1: System

too lean

main Cat effiency bank 1 below threshold

Edited by SC02 FFF