4 point harnesses

Hi

Im in the process of putting a new engine into my lupo sdi body, the car will then be used for track use and road use.

Ive put sparco fixed bucket seats in and now need some good harnesses, im going to stick with 4 point for the time being, ive been looking at the quick release twist mechanisms.

Does anyone know if the twist release are road legal? ive searched google but only managed to find info on an evo forum which wasnt much help.

also, the harnesses are bolt in, would i need to drill new holes to fit the harnesses?

Cheers

Dan

I was told that the only ones legal for road use are the ones that use a clip like a normal seat belt.

As for bolting them in, I have mine bolted to the original seat belt mounts at the front, and then they go back to the original mounts for the rear seat belt clips in the back (they are only 3 point though) - I worked on the principle of if the original belts are mounted there, it'll be strong enough for the harnesses :)

Yeah - loads of people have suffered from the cigarette lighter socket randomly not working. I've checked fuses, wiring...nowt!

If you had a 4 point harness you might need to drill holes, as there is only one hole per belt clip on each side. It also pulls the belt slightly to the side, which is fine for day to day, but you might want them pulling straight back for track use.

I think the seat belt clip type is due to that style being EU approved...

track car = should have roll cage

roll cage = somewhere to put the rear part of the belts

p.s if you are going to be using it hard on the track i'd seriously look at 5 or 6 point harnesses saves you submarine-ing in the seat when you really slam on the brakes!!

the cage is half way in at the moment but id rather have the harnesses bolted down so theres minimal slack and slide on them.

this cars still going to be used as a daily and i can tfind and 5 or 6 point harnesses with the aircraft style buckle as theyre all multipoint plug in to a twist release mechanism.

thanks for the diagram bossjohnc that will come in really useful :cheers: