Off on Safari

Putney

Just booked a month away in South Africa... not been for 7 years.. Really excited... Got direct flights really cheap through the BA sale. This will be the first time Im not in economy too.. I have booked all the flights as night flights to take advantage of the beds.... and to give me almost 2 extra days there.

Anyone here been?

I haven't been but I've heard lots of horror stories of robberies and assaults in South Africa from my friends who have been, tourists are a target.

Anyway, that's the bad crap out the way, I'm sure you'll have an amazing holiday, South Africa looks a beautiful place. Hope you and Mrs Putney enjoy it! :)

I haven't been but I've heard lots of horror stories of robberies and assaults in South Africa from my friends who have been, tourists are a target.

Anyway, that's the bad crap out the way, I'm sure you'll have an amazing holiday, South Africa looks a beautiful place. Hope you and Mrs Putney enjoy it! :)

did you friends get assaulted/ robbed? :(

One of them was robbed just outside the airport for his phone and mp3 player if i remember correctly.

Another had his wallet robbed. He's a big lad and another guy tried to steal it, as he floored the wannabe robber, some of his friends came round and kicked my mates head in and took everything he had (luckily just a wallet with nowt more than bank cards in).

To be honest this could happen anywhere, I think it's a little more prolific over there. Just have your wits about you and don't carry anything of value if you don't need to. I'm sure on safari you'll be fine!

One of them was robbed just outside the airport for his phone and mp3 player if i remember correctly.

Another had his wallet robbed. He's a big lad and another guy tried to steal it, as he floored the wannabe robber, some of his friends came round and kicked my mates head in and took everything he had (luckily just a wallet with nowt more than bank cards in).

To be honest this could happen anywhere, I think it's a little more prolific over there. Just have your wits about you and don't carry anything of value if you don't need to. I'm sure on safari you'll be fine!

that was most likely a case of wrong place wrong time...im sure that only happens to a minority of people and youll have a great holiday :)

youve got just as much chance of that happening over here too

just found this on lonely planet.... did he fly to joberg?

Travel Warning: Crime - Street Violence

Criminal gangs are known to operate at airports, bus stations and other transport hubs in South Africa, particularly at Johannesburg International Airport. Muggings and carjackings are regularly reported in Johannesburg's city centre.

In May, Johannesburg and Durban were been hit by a wave of xenophobic violence as mobs of locals roamed the city centre and surrounding townships in search of foreign refugees and migrants. Dozens of people were killed, and the government deployed the army to contain the disturbances. Travellers should steer well clear of any street clashes in these cities.

severity: Mid-level alert

ive been a few times, as my gf is from there.

Its a lovely place, i mean the country is amazing!

ive been on safari in Kruger national park and this was the most amazing time ever, Camping out with the monkeys! freaking awesome!

dont worry you will be ok just stay out of soweto! and joburg central and dont hire a nice car, make sure you get a little citi golf as this will keep you from being a target hehe

:D

Oh and its not Joburg international anymore its O R TAMBO. "officialy"

Edited by Gazza

Putney where abouts are you going in SA, as long as you don't advertise then you should be fine. My mate was convinced we were going to get into trouble when we were there

Like already said in the thread, once you're at your safari destination you'll be reet.

A guy from work is currently on his honeymoon there. Not had any word of trouble.

I am off to Joburg on the 10th November - I can't wait!!! I am going to visit my brother, his wife, and my nephew who I have never met. I was last there in 2001.

My brother has lived there since 2000 - went over on a 6 month holiday visa and never came home! He is now settled there for life with his wife and son and loves it. He has been mugged/robbed a couple of times, but does not live in fear of it. It is a large city like any other, and crime is rife. But as long as you have your wits about you, don't walk about alone at night, and only use recommended taxis (never just jump in a taxi sitting waiting as you may never be seen again!!! :o ) Byron has family in Cape Town and it is generally safer down there for walking about, but there are still a lot of house break ins etc - hence why most people have dogs/guns/tazers etc.

Where about are you going? I take it you won't be in Joburg much if you are going on safari?

We are flying into Cape town... I am flying with BA direct which was only £550 all in each... THat seems quite good to me..... How much you paying Linz?

We will do a Safari from Joberg and stay with some of the wifes friends whilst we are there.

Safari trips seem to be very expensive... anyone been on one which was good and kind on the wallet?

We are flying into Cape town... I am flying with BA direct which was only £550 all in each... THat seems quite good to me..... How much you paying Linz?

I am flying Edinburgh -> Schipol -> Joburg. The flights are £420 with KLM. My dad booked his the week before and paid £560. So I was pretty lucky and got a deal/sale price when I booked. I am annoyed I missed out on getting my rand when it was up at over 15/£. But it is climbing again and is up about 14.4/£.

we are flying direct to cape town... so its 12 hours i think...

£420 is very good...

We can't get direct flights from up here - have to go to either A'dam, Paris, Dubai, or Heathrow (depending om airline). I was over the moon when I went on and got the flights at that price, as I had gone on the week before to book and they were over £100 more. Its the same as I paid 7 years ago when I went before. When are you off?

Leave the 24th November... It's there summer time....

I have done pretty well this year... I have had 3 months after this holiday.... All on full pay! :)

when you off?