aftermarket ecu's

stevie_wonder

ok im after an aftermarket reprogrammable ecu and was wonderring which is best just now i only have a 1.6 gti fitted with manifold sports cat cat back and a bmc cda but looking to supercharge it down the line which ones can offer me the tuneability and how much am i looking at supplied and fitted? been looking at a dastek unichip but not sure if their any good been told a few dodgy stories about them any info would be helpful on any ecu

Which is best depends on whos going to map it.

They all do the same job, Motec will be some peoples favourate, where as some will prefer to map Emerald.

It'd be the last thing you should buy really Steve, get it once you know who is mapping the car.

They are talking out their own botty holes!

A member off here believed what they told them and tried it.

Put it on the rollers, and the ECU was shutting everything down on full boost as the VW ECU didn't like it.

Fully stand alone Im afraid.

Mate, Im still undescided myself.

But.

If I was to Supercharge a GTI I would buy Emerald, put the car on a trailer and take it down to Storm (I think, the company who did Pauls) as they already have a base map, so it would only require fine tuning.

great advice there so were would be best to buy an emerald from?

were is storm located? i pm'd paul the other day on regards to which belts to use etc but havent heard back from him yet trying to get most if not every angle covered so i dont run over budget or run into any trouble as i want it off the road for as little as possible

300bhp.

You'll never get 300bhp from an Eaton charger.

200bhp is going to be your limit, I'd be supprised if you got anything more.

Why do you think there are so many Eatons on ebay?

Because they have to replace when anyone orders a works Cooper to allow the 210bhp it offers.

theoretically you could buy the biggest supercharger available for sale on the planet and fit it to the gti, i was thinking that could generate 300bhp.

but i was thinking of those older mini cooper s works engines there could some 300bhp versions of those somewhere perhaps.

i didnt know stevie has an eaton?

what would be the process of superchargering in like a shoping list order? like this?

superchager unit

mounting brackets

pulleys and belts (what 1's)

pipes

decomp plate

head gasket (2?)

bigger injectors (but what would you use?)

ecu + mapping and wiring

anything i have missed and just done that as i dont know alot about superchargers but kno a fair bit about turbos

Regarding the ECU I would say Motec everytime. It is not the cheapest but it does exactly as it claims it will! The extra you pay for the product is offset by what you save when having it mapped. The quality is excellent too.

Emerald or motec for me, More emerald than motec as emerald is cheaper and has been proven to work with good results, even though mapping is more expensive.

Its not just a case of putting the charger on and mapping it though, As yours is a GTi space is some what limited, and its drive by wire which i think needs to be converted (havent asked at emerald myself yet) so you need to find a cable throttle that fits.

Ive stick a load of stuff down in another superchargin thread and i cany be arsed to put it down here, so go and have a look.