Renault Megane R26.R

Adam

French cars are getting better and better in quality, yet they are still stereotyped with this poor build quality image. Which in my eyes is completely false, the new Clio and especially the 197 looks and feels really nice inside, they also know how to build a chassis.

Vauxhall are instead concentrating on making the Corsa VXR 888 which will have 280bhp. How this will put the power down god knows!!

I didn't think 888 was Vauxhall's badge to do what they wanted with. It belongs to Thurlby doesn't it, so chances are it'll stay on limited editions, and stay on diesels.

The stereotype of most French cars, from my experience Renaults is complete nonsense.

I've owned four Clios, two MKIs, one MKII 1.2 and a MKII Clio 172. The 172 was very very impressive. Superb to drive and fully loaded with features as standard all for not too much cash. Seriously underrated until the 182 came out and the RS Clios became a lot more noticed.

As for the Megane 225, much more solid than the Clio, similar features but a very different kind of performance. Effortless torque and tonnes of grip but perhaps (obviously) not as chuckable as the Clios.

I advise anyone who ever has an opportunity to drive any of the RenaultSport cars, do so as they'll put as very big smile on your face.

As for the R26.R, overall I like it and I admire Renault for doing this kind of car. I like the fact that they put their neck out to make cars that are that little bit far out. Look at the Clio Williams and Clio 172, two cars that in my opinion were well ahead of their time and the MKI 172 very underrated. Also the Clio V6 was a mental car and I think the R26.R will follow suit.

The only thing that I don't get is the actual logic of owning one. If its your proper track only toy then I'd imagine it'd be great but there are a lot of cars I'd think are as good or maybe better for track only use, Elise? Catherham? VX220? The whole appeal to me of my 225 was the full on luxury combined with the performance. A nice mix of driving luxuries as well as pin you in your seat power, the luxuries have gradually been phased out to make way (and less cost) for more performance touches. I personally just like the balance of both.

I like the R26.R overall but not quite sure I see the point? If that makes any sense.

Sorry about the long post.

If its your proper track only toy then I'd imagine it'd be great but there are a lot of cars I'd think are as good or maybe better for track only use, Elise? Catherham? VX220?

Have you tried to get insurance on any of them cars?

Thats why I like the idea of this R26.R, cheap repair costs when things go wrong so reasnable insurance costs and TBH how many of us could get round a track quickly in a light RWD track car?

Id put money on getting round Cadwell quicker in the R26.R than I would in a VX220.

I personally wouldn't have that much of an issue getting insurance on any of them! lol My Megane is group 17 and isn't that bad to insure, I'm guessing the R26.R would be higher.

That was only a suggestion of mine that perhaps there are more focused track cars, isn't the whole point of track driving to learn the limits of your driving and car? Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the R26R but I think if I was buying a track only car it wouldn't be my choice and on the road I'd have a 'full fat' Megane 225.

Most companys will not insure an Elise, and very few insure a VX220.

Insuring a Catherham is not exacting easy as soon as you mention track use.

Although the R26.R is track focused, any replament parts are avalable off the shelf.

Smash a front wing on you Renault, you remove a few bolts and swap it.

You do the same damage on your VX220 and your (insurance company) talking silly money.

Just to put it into prespective, the glue you need for bonding the sills. £70 per tube. It takes a tube per sill!

Mate I don't doubt the extra costs. The Meganes are a 'normal' car and the RenaultSport models are modified versions of that so won't be quite as pricey.

Having said that running a car like a Megane 225 daily isn't cheap anyway, why do you think I bought a Lupo to drive round every day? lol Don't fancy 23mpg all the time haha.

Interesting that, considering that my Megane is group 17 as are any of the Clio Cup models, yet a Clio 172/182 full fat is a 16.

I'm guessing they put these high because they assume younger people will drive them, where as a VX220 is high because of what it is but they assume that older, 'more mature' people may buy them???

vx220 is only group 16, easy to insure, lotus is a bit more but still not silly money.

It may be only 16, but you find how many companies are willing to insure that car.

Theres not many now a days.

With 9 points and a previous ban, Im unable to find anyone who is willing to insure me, yet there are countless companies offering me a (high) price for the R26.

Reading earlier comments looks like a few people have missed the whole point of the thread. Adam posted it, as he was impressed that Renualt had put some effort into making a track/road car (I can't think of any others that have gone to the same effort), it wasn't "Which is the best track/road car"

Matt; You have well and truly hit the nail on the head ;)

As i said earlier, loads of cars could be quick round a track if you stripped them, but Renault have done it to this car from the factory. Its quicker than a lot of cars round the 'Ring , such as an Exige, which is pretty good going considering how good those little machines are.

Edited by Adam

interestingly the cage is an option though the seats are removed as standard, same as the track based tyres which are an option too. Tell your insurer you ticked the cage option and see how much they add to the premium - you are saying i might crash so i've added roll over protection which is never a good thing in their eyes even if it does add to the structural strength.

I suppose if you were going for the full track weapon then a cage is a good idea, if its just going to be used occasionally on the track and also used as a daily it would probably be wise not to go for that option.

probably round 10kg lighter without it though might be nice to have something to hold back items you left in the boot as there would just be a big space back there without it.

Vauxhall are instead concentrating on making the Corsa VXR 888 which will have 280bhp. How this will put the power down god knows!!

I thought the Corsa 888 was fairly imminent and was having 225bhp?

half cage i supose it would be termed, no links across the doors or to the front suspension mounts. The latice across the back of the seats provides protection for the people in the front though.