1.4tdi tuning

currie

im not going to know if my G40 one will fit without bolting it up i guess..

thinking about just getting it in for a remap asap and leave it as is for now. when the polos all gone will be able to get into it. think i might need a new Track rod end or a lower ball joint and a few other odds n ends.

the pd150 idea is sounding good but not now, just want a cheap improvement. will speak to a few places and get it done.

does anyone know what code gearbox i have

also anyone know the size of the clutch, is it 216mm?

225mm on the lupo TDI, or at least mine was...

ohh going to be too small, i think mine is a 190mm, though its pretty tough!

A g40 one would be no better than a Lupo TDI one anyway really as they don't give out as much torque.

A g40 one would be no better than a Lupo TDI one anyway really as they don't give out as much torque.

its definately not a stock G40 one, it should be good for about 300brake and 250ft/lbs

All you need to do, Is get rid of the back box in favour of a straight pipe, Improve the air feed to the Original airbox, replace the filter element with something like a BMC or a Green Cotton, then get it remapped !

I had those ^ exact mods, And managed 117bhp, 185lb/ft

If you wanna go further, You may come into some problems as theres practically nothing out there clutch wise to handle much more than 190lb/ft

As far as I'm aware, the PD75 uses the same internals as the PD130 and are plenty up for the job.

Uprated injectors are a farce, Plenty of people have fitted so called "Race injectors" to the 1.9TDI's with very poor results of very little power/torque increases, and only an increase (A major increase) in smoke...

As far as I'm aware the Injectors on the 1.4tdi can flow enough fuel to support 140bhp, which would require a special build turbo, and some form of uprated clutch.

Evening chaps, sorry if this counts as thread jacking but i thought it'd be a waste to start another thread...

NFBR: When u say to use a straight pipe, do u mean no backbox at all? Like an extra long centre section as such? lol... How'd it sound? Filter wise, what/where/how is the best way to improve the cold air feed? Remapping is the easy bit, call jabba and book my car in lol... Ive got a polo 2001 tdi by the way but it should more or less be the same!

Thanks

Abdul :shades:

nfbr: When u say to use a straight pipe, do u mean no backbox at all? Like an extra long centre section as such? lol... How'd it sound? Filter wise, what/where/how is the best way to improve the cold air feed? Remapping is the easy bit, call jabba and book my car in lol... Ive got a polo 2001 tdi by the way but it should more or less be the same!

Yup, No backbox whatsoever! When I did the job, I had no form of remap or any kind of tuning chip on the car, and I could feel so much difference. The car pulled the same but seemed to pull for longer and revved a lot free-er

As for the air feed, Your original airbox draws air in from a foam-block in the wing :S What I did was took a cold air feed pipe and removed the foam block and put the pipe in its place directly to the opening to the airbox :) (Also used a BMC filter element)

Cheers buddy, will see how it goes! How much difference in noise did the above mods make??

EDIT: Where did u get the exhaust made?

I have some video clips of mine but they are ridiculous sizes (57mb each)

It sounded really good though !

what is just literally a piece of pipe going from cat-back?

i wanna get it done if it will help performance as i can get it done for more of less nothin

I had mine done yesterday... well it sounds better when on the move.. lol has a nice whhooshing type of sound to it! Performance wise i have lost torque, not sure how much but it is definately noticable! On the plus side the car revs a lot more freely and i seem to have improved top end performance.... :blink: The torque will hopefully be sorted when the car gets mapped!

BIGK, have you kept the cat and the centre box, and just removed the backbox?

I really want to know how loud it sounds - can you hear it when cruising normally, i.e. not accelerating?

BIGK, have you kept the cat and the centre box, and just removed the backbox?

I really want to know how loud it sounds - can you hear it when cruising normally, i.e. not accelerating?

My old Jetex with the de-cat was silent when cruising but the main noise came from around 2krpm when boosting the car hard under acceleration :)

Ive still got my cat and its silent when not under acceleration... its actually pretty quiet with my foot down too... my noise comes in mostly at loow revs and then the turbo comes in and you can hear that too which im pretty happy about.. not loud at all though to be honest, was thinking of perhaps getting it de catted next but not sure as to how much louder it'll get!

Gman: I didnt know jetex sold de cat systems?? lol... Did u have a backbox or get rid of it too? How much power/torque was ur car running buddy? Also, what air filter system/cold air feed etc did u use?

cheers

Abdul

Edited by BIGK

Gman: I didnt know jetex sold de cat systems?? lol... Did u have a backbox or get rid of it too? How much power/torque was ur car running buddy? Also, what air filter system/cold air feed etc did u use?

cheers

Abdul

Hi, the Jetex was a 'cat-back' exhaust but the previous owner pretty much got a straight piece of pipe to take the cat off.

Not sure torque/power in all honesty, might ask my friend who bought it off me to dyno it.

Air filter system....I ran standard with normal element, then uprated, then went induction kit.

Induction kit was fine, but got dirty quickly and doesn't help that much due to the hot air. Add's more noise, but on a derv thats not always the best noise. You could hear the turbo sucking a lot lol.

Get a good panel filter unless you want to route the induction kit lower into the front bumper away from the heat, but I didn't have the time/effort to do that so just had a simota induction kit which worked ok when not too hot.

G man, me wants turbo noise... lol, im not going to lie, call me a chav and a boy racer and whatever the hell else but we all know that turbo whooshes are cool as fck! lol... :lol: So you'd recommened i extend the piping for the air filter down to the front bumper yes? But where too? Wouldnt the lower grilles be too low? I mean water could get in there and what not! Has anyone got a pic of a lupo/arosa/polo/a2 lol tdi without the bumper on so i can see what might need to be done..? Ive got a polo by the way Image004-1.jpg

None of the polo lads seem to tune their tdi's... everyone seems obsessed with the polo gti's which really are a pretty crap car to begin with in my opinion, loop gti's on the other hand are the shiz.... but lets keep that between us eh!

One more question.. has anyone tried enclosed induction kits like the bmc cda etc etc on the tdi? Have they helped at all? Also, what other model induction kits might fit? Reason i ask is simple, no one apart from jetex seem to make induction kits for the tdi!!

Edited by BIGK

I had a carbon enclosed simota induction, but failed to get it anywhere as the casin on it was too wide. I also bought a 90* alloy bend and silicon join to try and route it, but didn't have much time to mount it anywhere.

Ended up chucking the alloy pipe as i accidently messed it up playing around with it shortening it.

Right as for induction kits, they need one with a 70mm neck size (from what I remember).

However in the Polo you're likely to have more space in the bay so might get away with it, but remember a BMC being hard to mount due to the length.

Ok cool, so would you recommend an enclosed induction kit or open thingy? If its enclosed ill keep it in the stock position with just a big fat cold air feed but if its open ill try to relocate it behind the grills.... Did the induction kit you had make a tiring noise as such? Like under 2k rpm was it loud as feck or was it just loud when you gave it the beans? Sorry for all the questions... i did the same to NFBR about my exhaust! lol... oh btw, could u perhaps post a link to the simota you had?

Cheers

Abdul

EDIT: lol, another question, the little pipe thingy bob thats connected to the air box... what should i do with it?

Edited by BIGK

Ive still got my cat and its silent when not under acceleration... its actually pretty quiet with my foot down too... my noise comes in mostly at loow revs and then the turbo comes in and you can hear that too which im pretty happy about.. not loud at all though to be honest, was thinking of perhaps getting it de catted next but not sure as to how much louder it'll get!

Thanks. I'm almost tempted to take a hacksaw to my backbox now :o . So have you joined and extended the existing exhaust pipe from the centre box up to the rear bumper?

I would only use an enclosed kit as open will suck in too much heat. Open will give you more sound, but at the expense of performance.

Thanks. I'm almost tempted to take a hacksaw to my backbox now :o . So have you joined and extended the existing exhaust pipe from the centre box up to the rear bumper?

I would only use an enclosed kit as open will suck in too much heat. Open will give you more sound, but at the expense of performance.

Go for it... lol.. ive got a straight pipe from cat back... one big ass piece of stainless steel lol... Thinking of de catting it, but want to do the induction shiz first to see how loud it gets.. i dont want it to get too loud you see!!

Attn. nfbr:

It would be great to see you video's on Youtube, why don't you upload? :)

Also you said you removed the sponge in the wing through which the air is drawn, is this easy to remove, why was it there and what are the possibilities of water ingress?

Thanks!

Edited by pietch