Vag.com

Ive got one off ebay. Thought it was crap, took me a while but got it working properly now and used it on a fair few cars inc. audi a3, golf, lupo, beetle and it works brill! You just got to sit down and make sure your com ports are set up properly..

Not sure found some info on another site

What would be the differences between RS-232C serial and USB versions of the OBDII connector?

First, the vehicle bus is the limiter, so USB will not be faster then RS-232C serial. The advantages of RS-232C serial is it can have cable lengths up to 100ft; whereas, USB can't without powered repeaters. Also, RS-232C serial is required for Dual Mode (PC/PDA) connectors. (Since almost all PDAs can't be a host for USB devices.) USB does have the advantage of Plug-n-Play without device drivers and no port configurations necessary for operation.

i have used both this cable and a proper Ross Tech one, and what i have found that this "copy" cable takes a while to load information up about the vechile while the Ross Tech one is more or less instant.

Also these copy cables can not run with can bus, which i dont know if any lupos are canbus system????

but the Ross tech cable is £200 + while the copy is about £20 so the copy is good for your own car but not good for a buisness ETC

But i bet you knew that anyhow

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-VAG-COM-409-1-OB...86.c0.m14.l1308

anyone got or used one off ebay, dont want to get something that might not work properly or worse still damage the car...

Cheers

Si

I received one from the very same seller this morning! It works fine once the settings are right, works fine with Xp on my Macbook, don't know about Vista though.

The offical cable works with the newest software, im pretty sure these ones dont ?

I think you need a genuine cable to use VAG COM on vehicles which have the newer can-bus system (the lupo doesn't).

What do you want to do with it?

As long as it can read/clear faut codes its all good.

From looking at the Ebay ad you can also see stuff like bhp and mpg on the fly? Or does it just log it for later viewing?

Also these copy cables can not run with can bus, which i dont know if any lupos are canbus system????

but the Ross tech cable is £200 + while the copy is about £20 so the copy is good for your own car but not good for a buisness ETC

But i bet you knew that anyhow

Yeah... well kinda was just worried about it wreaking the car or laptop hehe :)

I received one from the very same seller this morning! It works fine once the settings are right, works fine with Xp on my Macbook, don't know about Vista though.

What do you want to do with it?

Cool they take long to send it ?? Just read the fault codes really, adjust the xenons too if possible too ?? as they have gone too damn low now the coilovers are on :(

Cool they take long to send it ?? Just read the fault codes really, adjust the xenons too if possible too ?? as they have gone too damn low now the coilovers are on :(

I only ordered it early Monday morning, so it was next day delivery!

It would be best to check and see if the shareware version can do that before you order one, maybe check the ross-tech website :)

I was told you don't adjust the headlights with VAG COM, you put it into 'set' mode and then adjust them with the screws to the right place, then they self adjust from the new correct position you've just taught it.

I'm tempted by one of these leads now...

What version of vagcom are you using? for eaby versions of the cable you need 4.09 or something like that.

Also i can remember my usb one was a pain to set up, it didnt straight away find the interface. I think if you go in to one of the settings page you can change the com port settings, even though mine was usb, it worked on com4. Give it a try, it will work just perseveer with it.

Also, with the knock off version you have to go in to the "select control module" section rather than the quick method.

Phil - Your right about the headlights. You set the refrence point and it adjusts itself from there using the ride height sensor.

Siimo, If your coming to no rice still next weds and you have no joy, bring it with yo and ill try and sort it out for you.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

It came with version 409.1 mate, i tried on all the visible com ports on vag it found something on com 3 i think but wouldn't work :(

Did you change any settings on the driver page at all was going to try setting a different com port name there...

Yeah i will be comming would be good if you could have a look for me please :)

As far as I'm aware the copy cables cannot be used for adaptions. Only the ross-tech licenced ones can.

Also - Its not Vag.com that would be a website.

Its Vag-Com or VCDS

It came with version 409.1 mate, i tried on all the visible com ports on vag it found something on com 3 i think but wouldn't work :(

Did you change any settings on the driver page at all was going to try setting a different com port name there...

Yeah i will be comming would be good if you could have a look for me please :)

Basically go into device manager and see which com port your usb-serial cable is running to. Then go to properties and change it to the port that is used in vagcom (com 1-4).

Mine was running on com20 as the default next free one, so changed it to com3 and it worked fine straight away.

Its not that, its http://www.ross-tech.com/ the home of Vag-com.

The ebay cable is fine for all the applications you get with the free unlicenced program. includes headlight adjustment, the ability to read one fault code at a time (but is dosent give the full read out of the fault, just the code) you have to go to ross tech wiki and search the code: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page

Siimo, i havent used mine in a while, so ill have to work it out again, plus i need to find my cable first!, im sure ill work it out. What time do you plan to get there on weds?

John

Thanks for all the help got it working with version 311.2 setting the device properties to com2 and then using that in vag-com :)

Not tried all the features but it connected to the car for the xenon adjustment no problems, no doubt vista will crash it when i try to do something

Thanks again all :)

Casper, not sure what time im going to no-rice yet umm what time does it start ?? :)

Mine has arrived and no joy doesnt work at all, brings up port ok but interface not found :(

That sounds like the error you get when its all connected but the cars ignition isn't on!

Mines working great on com 3 with version 409.1 software :wacko: