Brake light strip

Guest Lauryn

Guest Lauryn

Looks as though some of the lights on the brake strip at the top arent working, do I need to replace the whole thing or just the ones not working? If so wheres the best place to get it from? I know its OK to leave it like that but it looks untidy and I'm not spending money modding the car when basic things dont work right! Thanks! :shades:

Edited by Lauryn

Guest Lauryn
See HERE

You dont need to buy a new light unit :)

Yeah had just came across that! So is it just the wiring or what?! What do I need? Its exactly one half not working, the right hand side!

Guest Lauryn
check the bulbs before you hit the wiring

Right, I'm going to go out and have a look, what am I looking for to indicate whats broken if that makes sense?! lol

Right, I'm going to go out and have a look, what am I looking for to indicate whats broken if that makes sense?! lol

right, easy way. stand so the suns on the light and run your thumb from one side to the other, the ****ed bulbs usually have a darker shadow than the rest, if not theres a guide somewhere to crack it out, you'll be able to see if theyre broken cos theyre all single filament. (the bit of wire inside will be broken or the bulbs may be darkened on the glass)

What i did was, take out the light, use an old steering wheel lock i found in the garage to press the brake (or a friend if you have one handy!) to put the brake lights on. THen if you think yours has a fault, swap one working bulb to a not working one and see if it comes on, it should, then just replace the bulbs that arnt working :)

Just a word of advice, I repeatedly had bulbs failing/been dimmer than the other bulbs in the strip, and it turned out not to be the bulbs but the wire from the light to the connector had corroded. New light set and hey presto good as new, but yes, if it is the bulbs you can just change them.

Guest Lauryn

Thanks guys, been a good help! It just puzzled me as its the whole right hand side, like a clean cut down the middle, so I'll check this weekend and sort it from there :)

• 3 weeks later...