New Owner Niggles

ChrisB72

After closer inspection to my new purchase I have located my problems, but need help actually getting to the actual parts to fix them!

Can someone tell me how to remove the rear boot plastic panel so I can attempt to fix the leaky rear wash wipe? I think I need to unscrew the 2 screws in the pull down handles.......if this is correct what tool do I need? It doesn't look like either a screw or an allen key head!

How do I remove the piece of dash around the heater controls? I'm guessing a thin flat screw driver, but where is the best place to prize it off?

Hope these don't seem like obvious questions......bare with me I'm new :blush:

Edited by ChrisB72

Regarding the boot, if its the same as mine you just need gentle force. They are clips, not screws. So use something to ease them out.

Thats for the black plastic bit mind. Can't remember if any other fixings are there

Regarding the boot, if its the same as mine you just need gentle force. They are clips, not screws. So use something to ease them out.

Thats for the black plastic bit mind. Can't remember if any other fixings are there

So I don't have to unscrew ANY screws to remove the panel?

There are definately screws in mine, in the handles, where you said.

They are a Torx fitting.

Then clips all around the outside that you'll have to pull out. And two big clips that will probably snap, but they don't seem to do much anyway. ;)

On a GTI, the bit of dash around the heater controls just pulls out - the little velvety lined bit above it just slides out & then you can GENTLY pull the plastic bit out - it leaves all the control knobs behind & just comes out as a rectangle with circular cutouts.

Assume its probably the same on a non-GTI?

There are definately screws in mine, in the handles, where you said.

They are a Torx fitting.

Then clips all around the outside that you'll have to pull out. And two big clips that will probably snap, but they don't seem to do much anyway. ;)

You don't happen to know what size I need before I have to fork out for a whole set?

Not sure on the size but you do have to unscrew those screws, then it pulls off.

If it is leaking from the bootlid itself, its more than likely because of the problem i mentioned in your other thread, so you might need the fixing kit to remedy it.

:)

Not sure on the size but you do have to unscrew those screws, then it pulls off.

If it is leaking from the bootlid itself, its more than likely because of the problem i mentioned in your other thread, so you might need the fixing kit to remedy it.

:)

Thanks again...I think this might be causing the Boot Sensor issue as there was water all over the catch!

Oh yes, that would cause it!

With.....

.....a bit of luck

......a new bulb (once I've removed the dash trim)

........a wash wipe fixing kit (once I've got a T20 Torx screwdriver and removed the boot panel)

The little lupo should be fault free.........for a while :-)

I didnt know you needed to remove the dash trim? Just the heater dial? Although ive not actually changed one myself.

The wiper kit is very easy to fit, and comes with a lot of new parts so it should last a good while, there is also a modifacation on it which should stop this happening again.

Yes hopefully will be trouble free motoring after that!

Update....

Managed to remove the rear boot panel with the aid of a T20 screwdriver and just fixed the pipe end back onto the nozzle end. No parts required as yet!

I managed ro remove the dash panel, but from the sounds of it I may have been removing the wrong parts! So am I right in thinking the bulb is actually in the dail control?

On a more serious note.....I've found another problem, although it seems to have gone away, but I'm not sure for how long! I was driving along at about 40mph (after a fairly quickish start) and the engine management (EPC) and the Engine emissions lights came on. I checked the manual which recommends visiting the dealer as soon as possible!! The next day I started it up and took it for another run, but no lights came on!! What would people advice I do?

Yeah, get it to somewhere with Vag Com and get the codes read.

As for the wiper washer, was an easy fix then, unlike mine!

The bulb.... Have you tried pulling off the heater dial knob? They do come off with a bit of a pull and you will see the bulb in there. Ive not done it myself although i did pull the dial off to see, looks a little bit of a paint to get out but once you have pulled it out you just need to replace it.

Or thats how i think it works anyway :lol:

Yeah, get it to somewhere with Vag Com and get the codes read.

As for the wiper washer, was an easy fix then, unlike mine!

The bulb.... Have you tried pulling off the heater dial knob? They do come off with a bit of a pull and you will see the bulb in there. Ive not done it myself although i did pull the dial off to see, looks a little bit of a paint to get out but once you have pulled it out you just need to replace it.

Or thats how i think it works anyway :lol:

Okay I'm probably being very crap and sounding stupid, but I've pulled every knob and dail in that dash area....and unscrewed every screw and nothing is coming off or even looking like coming off?! Did I forget to say I was a bit of a Novice at this sort of thing?!! :blush:

Okay I'm probably being very crap and sounding stupid, but I've pulled every knob and dail in that dash area....and unscrewed every screw and nothing is coming off or even looking like coming off?! Did I forget to say I was a bit of a Novice at this sort of thing?!! :blush:

if you pull the small dial(fan speed)knob off (i used a pr of pliers with a cloth to protect the knob) the bulb is behind it,to get the bulb out use a small piece of pipe that is a tight fit over the bulb ,push it over the bulb and pull the bulb will come out,be careful not to break the bulb ,other wise you will have all sorts of problems getting it out,put the new one in ,bingo

Well all is well with the New Lupo.

Dash bulb was finally removed and replaced and is now working properly (can't believe I removed all the dash when all it needed was a good pull in the right place!! lol)

The ECP light hasn't shown it self again! I spoke to a technician at VW and he said the car might be just adjusting to it's new owners driving styles?! (I tend to be a bit heavy footed and the Missus is very gentle)??????

The rear washer pipe has stayed on. The only issue I have is that the rear wiper doesn't grip the very top of the window for a clean wipe (I'm probably just being too much of a perfectionist here!!)

I've found another slight issue, but nothing really wrong! I think the wiper stalk switch might need replacing at some stage as it feels like the switch has a lose connection and sometimes doesn't engage correctly....probably due to wear and tear. Not sure how easy this would be for me to fix?

Last question (for now) should there be a buzzer sound for the lights being left on if the drivers door is opened?

The only issue I have is that the rear wiper doesn't grip the very top of the window for a clean wipe (I'm probably just being too much of a perfectionist here!!)

Last question (for now) should there be a buzzer sound for the lights being left on if the drivers door is opened?

You might just need a new rear wiper blade.

Yes there should be a buzzer. Is the interior light coming on when the door is open?

Well all is well with the New Lupo.

Dash bulb was finally removed and replaced and is now working properly (can't believe I removed all the dash when all it needed was a good pull in the right place!! lol)

The ECP light hasn't shown it self again! I spoke to a technician at VW and he said the car might be just adjusting to it's new owners driving styles?! (I tend to be a bit heavy footed and the Missus is very gentle)??????

The rear washer pipe has stayed on. The only issue I have is that the rear wiper doesn't grip the very top of the window for a clean wipe (I'm probably just being too much of a perfectionist here!!)

I've found another slight issue, but nothing really wrong! I think the wiper stalk switch might need replacing at some stage as it feels like the switch has a lose connection and sometimes doesn't engage correctly....probably due to wear and tear. Not sure how easy this would be for me to fix?

I've fitted a new Bosch SuperPlus blade, but the design just doesn't follow the contours of the window.

Just tried the interior light.....

The light comes on when I unlock the car......but didn't come on when I tried the door again after being closed but not locked! The interior light is in the central position, but nothing happens when I switch it towards the driver's side! When switched towards the passenger it comes on and stays on. Does this sound like another blown bulb?

No lights on buzzer though? Is it possible that this is an early design or has a fuse blown?!

Edited by ChrisB72

The reason i asked about the interior light is because i think its the catch in your door which has broken. If this fails then the car doesnt know its door is open and so it doesnt put on the warning buzzer or interior light.

The rocker type light is working right, centre position is so it comes on when the door opens (or should do, does it with the passenger door??) Towards one way is off and the other on.

So it looks like its the door catch switch. Which is inside the catch itself i think.

Its a fairly common problem i think, although im not sure how its fixed. I had mine replaced under warranty so im not sure what they did to fix it, i think they ordered a new door catch though.

See this causes bigger problems if you had remote locking like me, as i would unlock it, and since the car didnt know i opened the door after 30 seconds or whatever it would lock again! Unless i turned the key in the ignition.

Niggly things are a right pain, i hate not to have things working and looking as they should. My ignition barrel keeps playing up, sometimes it unlock the door as soon as i turn the engine off, sometimes as soon as i put my key in the ignition the radio comes on. It doesnt bother me too much, just a niggly thing :lol:

The reason i asked about the interior light is because i think its the catch in your door which has broken. If this fails then the car doesnt know its door is open and so it doesnt put on the warning buzzer or interior light.

The rocker type light is working right, centre position is so it comes on when the door opens (or should do, does it with the passenger door??) Towards one way is off and the other on.

So it looks like its the door catch switch. Which is inside the catch itself i think.

Its a fairly common problem i think, although im not sure how its fixed. I had mine replaced under warranty so im not sure what they did to fix it, i think they ordered a new door catch though.

See this causes bigger problems if you had remote locking like me, as i would unlock it, and since the car didnt know i opened the door after 30 seconds or whatever it would lock again! Unless i turned the key in the ignition.

Niggly things are a right pain, i hate not to have things working and looking as they should. My ignition barrel keeps playing up, sometimes it unlock the door as soon as i turn the engine off, sometimes as soon as i put my key in the ignition the radio comes on. It doesnt bother me too much, just a niggly thing :lol:

The interior light isn't coming on with either door.....it just comes on when the doors are unlocked or after the ignition is turned off after being used.