Wanna upgrade the lupo

Well it depends what benefits you'd like from it.

I shall premote a tdi

If you want better economy then tdi is obv better, looking at an average of 56-60mpg.

The Tdi's come with visual extras of front fogs, mudflappage, the possibilty of a Gti interior, fancy dials.

You will no doubt pay more for the Tdi and arent as easy to find.

The tax is £35 per annum (Bo!)

Its fun to drive and is most effective in the higher gears as it picks up with the torque

So aye, go diesel!

I've had both, the TDi has better suspension, better brakes, uses less fuel, and 'sport' spec. They are both 75ps but in the TDi the power is there all the time, no need to change gears like in the petrol.

TDi takes ages to warm up, no good if you only do short journeys as the engine would never get warm. Also it's a diesel so it sounds louder!

The TDi is group 4 insurance vs. group 3 for the petrol, and will cost more to buy, but you get what you pay for!

Well it depends what benefits you'd like from it.

I shall premote a tdi

If you want better economy then tdi is obv better, looking at an average of 56-60mpg.

The Tdi's come with visual extras of front fogs, mudflappage, the possibilty of a Gti interior, fancy dials.

You will no doubt pay more for the Tdi and arent as easy to find.

The tax is £35 per annum (Bo!)

Its fun to drive and is most effective in the higher gears as it picks up with the torque

So aye, go diesel!

All sounds really good actually!whats the performance like?i just checked autotrader and they are a bit more expensive but i think its seriously worth it! :coffee: Thanks for the info!

I've had both, the TDi has better suspension, better brakes, uses less fuel, and 'sport' spec. They are both 75ps but in the TDi the power is there all the time, no need to change gears like in the petrol.

TDi takes ages to warm up, no good if you only do short journeys as the engine would never get warm. Also it's a diesel so it sounds louder!

The TDi is group 4 insurance vs. group 3 for the petrol, and will cost more to buy, but you get what you pay for!

See I got told that diesels are quicker to warm up!

That all sounds good!kinda swinging towards the tdi! and the insurance isnt a problem as i just did my pass plus!! but with the higher spec and the better mpg i think i will go for the tdi!just need to find one now!

Go for the TDi!

Ok they are more to buy but they hold their value well so will still be worth more over the 1.4 when you come to sell anyway.

The thing with the TDi is it has power all the time, petrols you need to rev them hard and they never really feel quick. Petrols feel totally guttless compared to a turbo diesel.

However it is a good deisel, its not like driving a general TD car, which has bursts of power and then nothing, very gruff and grumbly and isnt very flixable. The 1.4TDi isnt like that. And IMO the 3 pot engine sounds nice.

With a TDi you dont need to rev it to drive it fast, therefore yours still getting good MPG but still going fast. Unlike petrols where you need to thrash them and watch the fuel gauge go down!

Although i will warn you! Having a TDi may mean you have diesels for the rest of your life! Im so impressed with mine i couldnt go back to driving a petrol car all the time, just no guts in them.

TDis are quite nippy really, feel faster than the 1.4 petrol (although info says the 1.4 is about .3 of a second quicker to 60, like you really notice that!) Id say the diesel is quicker, and not to mention there is remapping potential that you wouldnt get with a 1.4.

Having a car with a turbo and an intercooler is surely more cool than having a 1.4 ;)

Oh, and also the 1.4 petrols suffer from pedal box and gear box issues, things the TDi doesnt.

Tdis have front fogs, alloy wheels, heated electric mirrors and GTi interior if you go for a later one. Along with the usual 1.4S things: Electric windows, Central locking. If your lucky you might find one with options, such as air con, remote central locking, sunroof etc.

No comparison for me, TDi wins hands down! :D

But to really make up your mind, see if you can drive one of each. I will say this though, it does seem you get good and bad TDis, slower ones - quicker ones, noiser ones and quieter ones. So try to find the best :)

Edited by cardaft

Go for the TDi!

Ok they are more to buy but they hold their value well so will still be worth more over the 1.4 when you come to sell anyway.

The thing with the TDi is it has power all the time, petrols you need to rev them hard and they never really feel quick. Petrols feel totally guttless compared to a turbo diesel.

However it is a good deisel, its not like driving a general TD car, which has bursts of power and then nothing, very gruff and grumbly and isnt very flixable. The 1.4TDi isnt like that. And IMO the 3 pot engine sounds nice.

With a TDi you dont need to rev it to drive it fast, therefore yours still getting good MPG but still going fast. Unlike petrols where you need to thrash them and watch the fuel gauge go down!

Although i will warn you! Having a TDi may mean you have diesels for the rest of your life! Im so impressed with mine i couldnt go back to driving a petrol car all the time, just no guts in them.

TDis are quite nippy really, feel faster than the 1.4 petrol (although info says the 1.4 is about .3 of a second quicker to 60, like you really notice that!) Id say the diesel is quicker, and not to mention there is remapping potential that you wouldnt get with a 1.4.

Having a car with a turbo and an intercooler is surely more cool than having a 1.4 ;)

Oh, and also the 1.4 petrols suffer from pedal box and gear box issues, things the TDi doesnt.

Tdis have front fogs, alloy wheels, heated electric mirrors and GTi interior if you go for a later one. Along with the usual 1.4S things: Electric windows, Central locking. If your lucky you might find one with options, such as air con, remote central locking, sunroof etc.

No comparison for me, TDi wins hands down! :D

But to really make up your mind, see if you can drive one of each. I will say this though, it does seem you get good and bad TDis, slower ones - quicker ones, noiser ones and quieter ones. So try to find the best :)

The tdi is clearly the better choice.....so have to find one now!love the extra spec!!

Thanks for all the help!

I nearly mentioned the sport, although it uses a lot more fuel than the TDI, and more than the 1.4 75. Plus its 2-3 insurance groups higher. I do like the petrol sport spec though, with the rear discs and ABS.

Saying that, id have an arosa sport over the lupo sport, which gives you side airbags, leather steering wheel, pollen filter and remote central locking over the petrol lupo sport.

Im not even sure if they feel 25bhp nippier than the TDi :huh: Although opinions on that differ hugely.

OK then, so now you need to try the 1.4 75, 1.4 100 and the 1.4 TDi. You best get started with that list ;)

Edited by cardaft

Im not even sure if they feel 25bhp nippier than the TDi :huh: Although opinions on that differ hugely.

I think it depends how you drive it. Relaxed driving TDi feels more urgent. Revving the sport past 4750rpm is when the 25bhp extra gets felt, but your not doing that all the time.

I think it depends how you drive it. Relaxed driving TDi feels more urgent. Revving the sport past 4750rpm is when the 25bhp extra gets felt, but your not doing that all the time.

Rev the Sport past 5000rpm and you start to notice how cheap the rubber is on the engine mounts. Vibration anyone? For some odd reason with a bolt-on filter the vibration disappears. :wacko:

Okay okay it probably doesn't help that my catalytic is shagged and is causing quite a bit of vibration on its own. :P

Edited by Niche

Would love the 1.4 16v but just the huge problem with insurance as im only 18. But that would be the one i want!gonna try and drive a tdi today as a mate has one so im gonna drive that a whirl!the main thing which i think gives the tdi the edge is its standard spec!

Thanks for all your help guys! It has been really helpfull

Would love the 1.4 16v but just the huge problem with insurance as im only 18. But that would be the one i want!gonna try and drive a tdi today as a mate has one so im gonna drive that a whirl!the main thing which i think gives the tdi the edge is its standard spec!

Thanks for all your help guys! It has been really helpfull

Personally I wouldn't touch the sport. I have done a mear 67k in my 2001 sport, relaxed motorway driving, no racing/redlining and the pedal box has failed twice!. The second one 10months after VW replaced it. It is going back in tomorrow under warranty. The timing tensioner also failed at just 32000 miles. The gearboxes are notchy and my damn electric windows keep locking up.

Save your money, buy something else. I brought VW for the excellent german build quality I had heard about time and time again. It may be true of the more expensive models, but certainly not the lupo, not mine anyway! Maybe it doesn't like the motorway miles? Maybe I just brought a dud? But for a car previoiusly owned by a VW main dealer mechanic, with a full VW service history all though its life, I'd have expected it to just....... erm....... work?? But it doesn't

Adrian

Sounds like yours is a bad one really, usually they hold up ok. Although a sport wouldnt be my first choice for motorway driving! Pedal boxes and gearboxes are main causes for concern with sports.

Although ive got to say, id never buy a VAG car on the build quality alone, ok they may feel well put together, but the reality is they generally arnt as good as people are hopeing. Well not in my experience anyway.

The thing which most dissapoints me is the rust issues on VWs, rust on a modern car is vertually not known now (unless its a Merc or ford!) so it is a little rubbish that some VWs have rust issues.

Things like the pedal box, though, should have been modified along the lupos production life, never was though was it.

I know people mock french cars on here for their reliability and build, damn site better built than VWs are, in the long run!

Edit: to list a few of the long list of problems ive had with my Arosa 1.0S:

- timing belt tensioner went at about 26K - 2.5 years old

- door catch swith broke

- hazard warning switch failed

- both rear shockers went at about 30K - 2.7 years old - rear bump stops had also failed so they were needed too

- indicator switch failed

- wheel bearing failed at 26K

Not to mention the engine problem which resulted in it having a new one under warranty.

After all this, i still went out and bought my TDI, another Arosa :rolleyes: WHich im pleased to say, has been almost problem free (touches head!) :)

Edited by cardaft

All 1.4 Lupos are 16v, ones without a centre exhaust are either the E, SE or S spec - 75bhp not the 100bhp sport :)

Sports also have, 14" alloys, front fogs and rear discs, so check for those too!

Tdis dont get the centre exhaust.

Edited by cardaft