Service time...

bossjohnc

20K service... just had 'Joe from VW' on the phone.

Service, which includes pollen filter change, oil change, and... errm... lots of checking of stuff and things, plus a 24 month brake fluid change and a set of two front pads...

£401!!!!!

RIP OFF ALERT!

Said don't worry about the pads and that I'd do them myself - took it down to about £280.

Ouch sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I was reading through the handbook the other day and noticed the 24 month (20k) brake fluid change, i then noticed that it hadn't been changed as of yet and im up to 30 months (31k) :?

QUOTE(baj)
Ouch sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I was reading through the handbook the other day and noticed the 24 month (20k) brake fluid change, i then noticed that it hadn't been changed as of yet and im up to 30 months (31k)  :?

I am not 100% but seem to remember this isnt a warranty problem, just a recommended change, so it shouldnt matter that you are late.

hehehehehe!!

Just been doing the rounds calling customer service etc...

To cut a long story short - I had a goodwill of £150 to put toward the service anyway. I thought the £400/280 without pads was a bit of a take on, and that VW were looking to get their money by hook or by crook.

Called VW Customer Care, as I'm talking to them about my bubbling spoiler anyway (they keep telling me it's not covered by warranty as it's an aftermarket accessory :? ).

Anyway, I mentioned the price because I wasn't happy, and I've just had the dealer on the phone saying that they'd 'explained it wrong'.

I'm now getting the service for £150 (cancelled out by £150 goodwill) and the brake fluid for £42.30.

My Credit card's just breathed a big sigh of releif.

If you have many many warranty problems and you complain to VW Customer Services about the amount of time you spend sipping coffee at the dealer - they will compensate.

My main gripe was the rear spoiler which has been resprayed 4 times and still bubbles up whenever the sun shines on it.

This along with things like the bonnet release catch breaking, rear wash wipe breaking and a couple of other things equated to a bit of goodwill.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

My 20k was 140 quid,afterwards I took the car home changed the brake fluid myself and then on the page in the service book where they had stamped I simply ticked the "brakefluid changed" box with the same colour of pen. It is a warranty thing, but not part of the 20K service. The brake fluid has to be changed every 2 years!

(If anyone from VW is reading gargoil says this in jest! :wink: )

So if you don't change the brake fluid and crash because the brakes fail and you take it to VW and they see they've not changed the brake fluid at they're recommended intervals then they're not going to use that as an excuse not to pay up for the damage/ new car????

I believe you, but I'd be surprised, knowing VW's customer service rep. if they wouldn't use that against you in the event you had to claim something brake related on warranty! So can you use any non VW brake fluid and the system is still covered by warranty or do you have to use the VW branded stuff, if it dosen't matter who plops it in or when it is changed??

Strictly, it no longer matters who does the servicing, as long as it's done properly.

This was not the case a few years ago, but some sort of competition law has changed that.

Only prob is, that if VW say something's gone wrong due to poor servicing, you have to go back to the person that did the servicing, and if they deny it was poor, you're the piggy in the middle.