Just bought a GTI, a few questions...

Defcon5

Hello all, got a 51 plate GTI in black on thursday, car has done 48000, unmodified with full VW service history. I am a very happy bunny! Not my first Lupo experience, my Mum has an x-reg yellow Sport, but this thing is on anther level!

First impressions are that the car is fantastic, the engine and gearbox are brilliant, the clutch is poor in first, so traffic jams are a nightmare. That and the tiny petrol tank are my only complaints. I understand all the GTI clutches are the same? It gets better when warmed up but never goes away, vibrates like hell sometimes. The car sounds excellent and is generally the best car I have ever had! :wub:

Few questions though...

When starting, the starter motor sticks for about half a second, making that horrible noise, does this mean it needs replacing or is it ok to leave?

When the cambelt was changed, the waterpump was not, should this be replaced asap or just when it needs replacing, I asked VW about it and they said they dont change tham unless they need changing :confused: The previous owners were car enthusiasts (they even bought the windscreen wash from VW!) and the car was part ex'd for an M3 so I doubt they would scrimp on costs.

Also, when stationary/ moving slowly, the PAS makes a whining noise, is this normal or is it on the way out?

Also I note the car uses 98ron petrol, is there any negative effect from using 95 other than loss of performance? What do you guys use?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Hi, great choice by the way!

I have had my belts done recently, and I didn't have the pump changed. Some people would advocate doing it regardless, but I am of the opinion, probably like your cars previous owner, that IF it breaks, I will have it fixed then. It can go early, as some on here would testify, but that doesn't mean it will! My clutch can be a little bit jerky in first when cold, but it does ease up when it is warm ('bout 5 - 10mins driving). Not sure it should vibrate though, that doesn't sound too promising....as long as the pedal doesn't go to the floor then you can be sure it isn't slipping, maybe someone else more technically minded on here could suggest what it is? Regards the petrol, mine is run almost exclusivley on 95ron, with the odd tank of super (mainly cos its soooo pricey nowadays) usually from a Shell station (though it may be from any manufacturer) and I have no problems at all - I regularly get 240 miles from 30 litres. The small tank is a pain sometimes, but when you consider it can do 40mpg and driven quite quickly in the process then you soon feel better about it. My power steering whines on full lock, this is something I have found on every car I have driven, and have been told it is a sign that it works properly. Shouldn't make noises away from full lock I wouldn't have thought.

Good colour by the way, black is a pig to keep clean but looks ace when polished up! Don't see many black ones, thery're all bloody silver round my way (but equally as nice)

Edited by renandstimpey

Well when I say vibrate, its more of a judder, like what you get when its about to stall. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. What do you mean by 'as long as the pedal doesnt go to the floor'? I cant say iv noticed when it stops travelling tbh but Ill check when im next in it.

Re; the colour, it looks dirty already! I was after a red one but couldnt find one, happy with black though.

Agree with whats been said - slightly noisy starter motor doesn't mean its gonna break - just depends on how much you can put up with the racket!!! Try doing a search for 'starter motor' - more discussion on them and their noisy-ness in the various forums. It sounds relatively normal to me.

Some people say you might as well change the waterpump if you're changing the cambelt, but there's no need unless its knackered. Snapped cambelt will knacker up your engine but a broken water pump won't (as long as you notice the temp gauge rise!!!!!). So don't worry.

Like the other guy says, all cars make a whining noise moving on full lock - this is perfectly normal - before I got my Loop I hired a brand new Ford Ka and it did exactly the same, so its fine. Regarding whining noises, you may hear a slight high-pitch whining noise in the car from the fuel pump (more towards the rear of the car) - mine does that - don't really notice it very often.

Its probably more ideal to use 98 if its a GTi, but if it was a requirement, it'd be on the petrol cap (like when it says diesel) - and I've never heard that you have to use 98, so don't worry about that - my pocket can't cope with 98 on the mileage I do!!

Hope this reassures.

Well when I say vibrate, its more of a judder, like what you get when its about to stall. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. What do you mean by 'as long as the pedal doesnt go to the floor'? I cant say iv noticed when it stops travelling tbh but Ill check when im next in it.

Re; the colour, it looks dirty already! I was after a red one but couldnt find one, happy with black though.

As in you have to floor the clutch before you feel the "bite point" - if it bites very low to the floor, it would suggest it is on the way out, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. My clutch judders a bit when cold in first, sometimes you can do that kangaroo thing u used to get with the 205 gti's, only not as bad. It just seems to be a quirk of the car i think, is fine when its warm (or full throttle!)

Red'uns are as rare as rockin horse s**t. I've never seen another red one in the flesh, though there are some about. Black is next nicest, equal with anthracite, though both are just as hard to keep clean :)

As in you have to floor the clutch before you feel the "bite point" - if it bites very low to the floor, it would suggest it is on the way out, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

I see, it bites halfway up so its all good there. Good job about the fuel, Id be living of pot noodles it it had to have 98!

With the whirring fro the PAS, its not just on full lock, it from say the last half turn before full lock, so should I investigate further?

Its being serviced on wednesday so I would hope they will notice if anything is amiss.

I see, it bites halfway up so its all good there. Good job about the fuel, Id be living of pot noodles it it had to have 98!

With the whirring fro the PAS, its not just on full lock, it from say the last half turn before full lock, so should I investigate further?

Its being serviced on wednesday so I would hope they will notice if anything is amiss.

Was out in mine at half one this morning (dont ask) and whilst manouvering outside my house at about 1mph it too made a gentle whirring noise before it hit the lock stops, probably about 1/2 a turn before, I think its normal. If its having a service, mention it and they will have a look, but it sounds the same as mine and countless others.

Its probably more ideal to use 98 if its a GTi, but if it was a requirement, it'd be on the petrol cap (like when it says diesel) - and I've never heard that you have to use 98, so don't worry about that - my pocket can't cope with 98 on the mileage I do!!

Hope this reassures.

Went to fill up today and realized BP Ultimate is only 97 Ron! I've always ran my Loops on BP Ultimate. Is it only Shell Optimax (?) that's 98 (99?) Ron?

You can't get Optimax any more, it's changed to V-Power, and I'm pretty sure it's 99RON. Some Tesco's also do 99RON.

It does say in the petrol cap. '98 RON or 95 RON at reduced performance.' Apparently the higher RON fuel gives better MPG. I'm not sure as I've always run mine on Optimax then V-Power, so can't really compare.

Edited by Philplop

Had the starter motor "whine" on my TDi, its the solenoid not disengageing in time. Apparantly this is a common fault on later dubs. Had a few cars do it now!

Took my starter off, whipped the solenoid off and gave it a good clean. Now as good as new. Took about 40 mins in total to do!

cheers, Chris.

You can't get Optimax any more, it's changed to V-Power, and I'm pretty sure it's 99RON. Some Tesco's also do 99RON.

It does say in the petrol cap. '98 RON or 95 RON at reduced performance.' Apparently the higher RON fuel gives better MPG. I'm not sure as I've always run mine on Optimax then V-Power, so can't really compare.

....except I always get better mpg with 95!!! work that out. My opinion is that it is useful now and again to fill up with "super", maybe one in five tanks, but other than the detergent/cleaning benefts don't worry about it at all. 95 is fine and plenty quick enough. But if you can afford super, go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another thing I noticed is that when in neutral, when I hold the revs between 1.5 - 2k, the engine vibrates, but above this it is as smooth as ever, is this normal?

Apparently starter motor whine is a common problem, mine does it but apparently all it needs is a drop of oil the main bushing.

and the power steering does whine, it has to work quite hard to turn those wide 205' tyres at low speed and the clutch is quite a strong little beast so quite hard to manage at low speeds, you get used to it. just dont drop it because you'll damage engine mounts and run the risk of knackering drive shafts if you do it often enough.

Fuelwise you really should stick to the expensive stuff, mine really feels down on power on the 95. The car will run on both though quite happily i think the car has knock sensor as well so it's much smoother and more responsive on 98/99.

Edited by Toi gulp

the higher the "RON" the better/faster is combusts, its all to do with a better burn, apparently less emissions etc... although bp, etc claim more miles from the higher RON fuels, its never really made any difference to me, just use regular unleaded on most, problem is people expect massive differences, asif their filling up with drag fuel or something :lol:

.......NO.

the higher the RON the slower the fuel burns, it has fire retardant chemicals mixed in with it to make it less flammable. this is one reason why it gives better MPG, and more power from the ignition when its's advanced more than normal.

Edited by omglagger

The higher the octane rating, the less likely it is to detonate under compression, meaning you can compress it more, giving more power, before igniting it; reducing knocking (or pinking). It has nothing to do with how quickly the fuel burns once ignited by the spark plug.