Got 2k to spend, should i buy petrol or diesel

klein biker

Hi,

Im new to the site and soon will be new to Lupo ownership, i am looking for a 2nd car, but it will only be driven for a handful of miles a day (to and from school with the kids)

What model would be the better buy.

I have a company car which will clock up the main mileage, will be lowering and wheels etc....

Your advice is much appreciated.

Hi,

Im new to the site and soon will be new to Lupo ownership, i am looking for a 2nd car, but it will only be driven for a handful of miles a day (to and from school with the kids)

I have a company car which will clock up the main mileage, will be lowering and wheels etc....

youll struggle to get a diesel theremay be som ehigh milegae 1 litres for that csh but 2 gran djust aint enough for any decent lupo

Petrol if you've got a company car to soak up large miles! However I rate the 1.4 TDI diesel if you want one. The 1.7 is great for economy, but you probably won't be getting the best lupo experience you could have.

1.0 litre owners seem to like them, but ill leave them to talk about them!

1.4s is a good all round engine, the 1.4 sport is good as well, with a bit more power and the gti has a bit more power on top of that.

Whatever you can afford.

if you're only doing short trips, i'd get a petrol, the engines warm up quicker than a diesel. Diesel engines return crap mpg if you're only doing short trips, i was using my pug for the work run for a while, I was getting about 425 miles on a tank, whereas normally i get about 550, just because the engine wasn't warming up properly.

It's still noticable in a petrol, my sport will return about 200 to a tank on purely local trips, on longer runs its about 240-250, and if I drive like a granny on the motorway, it'll come back with 270 :)

youll struggle to get a diesel theremay be som ehigh milegae 1 litres for that csh but 2 gran djust aint enough for any decent lupo

Agreed your probably won't get a derv for £2K but you should be able to find a nice 1.0 or 1.4 for £2K, i did! :lol:

I may be selling my lupo sport, getting it resprayed ,new exhaust and just had clutch and timingbelts done (along with a pedal box check0) only bad thing is it has roughly 145k miles but runs a dream ! its lowered 30mm and has aloys (need respraying tho !)

Ken

Hi,

There are some very pro diesel people on here. I test drove a Lupo diesel a few months back and it was the noisiest car i've ever driven. Not something i could live with on a daily basis. The 1.0e or 1.4s look a good bet for your budget.

There are some very pro diesel people on here. I test drove a Lupo diesel a few months back and it was the noisiest car i've ever driven. Not something i could live with on a daily basis. .

What model was that? SDI?

The tdi's arnt exactly "quiet" especially as there a 3cyl lump ut they aint bad.

What model was that? SDI?

The tdi's arnt exactly "quiet" especially as there a 3cyl lump ut they aint bad.

It was a TDI. As noisey inside as it was out. Used to have an early MK2 Golf diesel which i thought was noisey, but the Lupo was worse.

trange that, mimnes not too noisy. it certainly alot better than the straight dieles like the SDI which are 'clattery', my TDI sound more like a little sewing machine :) doesnt get on my nerves at alkl, plus love feeling the turbo, as small as it may be :)

Yeh, must have been a dog if it was that loud. Rather the noise of the diesel than a 1.0 screaming with its girly rahhh :coffee:

plus the fact that you dont have to rape the TDI to get it to go anywhere :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my TDi for 1600 with 150K miles on the clock. High mileage but mechanically sound. Just took it in for a service and the mechanics were impressed.

Of course there are a few things wrong with it - interior is a bit cacky and the door creaks, but it just shows that if you hunt you can find a mechanically sound TDi for not a lot of cash...I was just lucky the thing was parked up at my bus stop when I was looking for one :shades:

high mileage and diesel engine cars go hand in hand and frankly the noise should be totally accepted seeing as you'll save a lot of money on fuel. My folks Peugout 307 diesel hdi is superb on fuel economy.

I love my 4 month old Lupo GTI but it seriously DRINKS petrol! I fill up twice a week at almost 30 quid a go. If I'd known what I was in for then I wouldn't have bought the car, even though as it turns out the dealer that sold me the car (who recognised me on first visit), was in my year at my secondary school during Art class, he obviously used this knowledge as a social sales tool advantage instead of new found friendship. Let's say he made no effort to keep in touch after the sale.

Still the crooked way of life, since school days, that is the car dealer salesman job, got the better of him, he sold me this near 50k (cambelt change imminent, info which he held back) with a progressive faulty gearbox (I was silly into thinking it was my clutch control, the 2nd gear change crunched slightly occasionally).

Now, the first gear will not engage after 4 months of ownership. I called him but he made a point of his 3 month warranty on the car which has expired. With only one car key with built in fob (but as advised by car trade dealers since, it's likely to be a stolen recovered car that had been thrashed using the owners key with fob), which is how dealers get their cars and sell them on for profit. I am disappointed and will be selling my VW soon thanks to my deceptive old school buddy who has helped me learn the hard way about buying cars.

I have noticed on eBay that he is selling a (edit) Lupo GTI. I advise anyone against buying this car as it is probably got a bad history before he acquired it.

My 20 year old Renault 5 Turbo 1.4 has about 2x more miles per gallon efficiency then the lupo gti has.

The money I'm losing on unleaded/super 98 petrol does not justify the usage or performance I'm getting. I challenge any member who claims high miles per gallon return on the GTI.

My advise, get a diesel and you'll make a saving. Seriously.

J

P.S. Regarding my previous post, my ex-school friend/car dealer, uses this website regularly for LUPO info to his advantage. He will sell the car he got hold of, to meet the pre-problem lupo after it has been sold.

I'm gutted, believe me. Against my other mate's saying he's a selfish over-confident di ckhead, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Regrettably

J

regarding the bad fuel consumption, is it a lot worse than a lupo 1.4 sport does anyone know?

all I do is city driving, I've had my old clio since october and only driven 2000 miles... so I don't think the diesel would be that great for me... I'm never on a motorway or anything.

I got my TDi for 1600 with 150K miles on the clock. High mileage but mechanically sound. Just took it in for a service and the mechanics were impressed.

Of course there are a few things wrong with it - interior is a bit cacky and the door creaks, but it just shows that if you hunt you can find a mechanically sound TDi for not a lot of cash...I was just lucky the thing was parked up at my bus stop when I was looking for one :shades:

Thats a very impressive price, and it should do double that mileage!

With only one car key with built in fob (but as advised by car trade dealers since, it's likely to be a stolen recovered car that had been thrashed using the owners key with fob), which is how dealers get their cars and sell them on for profit. I am disappointed and will be selling my VW soon thanks to my deceptive old school buddy who has helped me learn the hard way about buying cars.

Its a shame your having issues with it, but by the key thing do you mean you only have one key or two keys but only ones has remote? As thats how it should be.

regarding the bad fuel consumption, is it a lot worse than a lupo 1.4 sport does anyone know?

all I do is city driving, I've had my old clio since october and only driven 2000 miles... so I don't think the diesel would be that great for me... I'm never on a motorway or anything.

With all city driving i would think a sport would do about 30mpg. Although doing so few miles i doubt you will notice the effects too much of high fuel consumption?

ok, thanks... just people have mentioned diesels aren't too happy with city driving due to taking longer to heat up etc... I think a sport would be more fun for the little miles I do about town...shouldn't cost me too much for petrol!