Revs dropping and car cutting out

When starting the car this morning things started as normal but then the revs started going up and down on their own. Thought it was probably something to do with the cold and so attempted to drive off as normal, but the car kept stalling.

After a couple of attempts at setting off and it subsequently stalling I managed to get going but everytime I stopped at traffic lights or whatever the revs dropped below 1k and I had to blip the throttle to stop it from stalling. Seems to be ok after a bit of a drive.

Anyone else experience this at all? Any reason to think its anything serious??

Could just be my car having a hissy fit as its gone past the 100,000 mark today!!

does it cut out at idle?
Yeh thats what was happening...........is it usual for idle to be below 1k?
could be the throttle body giving up the ghost
Wonder if it just needs cleaning then.....its due a service so will have it checked out then if it doesnt pack in in the meantime

Yeh thats what was happening...........is it usual for idle to be below 1k?Wonder if it just needs cleaning then.....its due a service so will have it checked out then if it doesnt pack in in the meantime

You dont say what engine is in it?

Although usually they idle below 1K yes.

Sounds like your throttle boddy needs cleaning.

You dont say what engine is in it? Although usually they idle below 1K yes. Sounds like your throttle boddy needs cleaning.
Sorry its a GTI, will see if its still happening later on now that the car has been parked up for a good few hours. Its in the garage this weekend getting the coilovers fitted so could get it checked out thenCheers
Idle control valve? ( stuttering and cut out when you drop the revs? )I hope not, there a bit pricey...
Any ideas whats sort of price I'd be looking at if it was?

Mine idles at about 750 - I get a very rare stalling (even when warm) when I slow quite sharpish for a junction. Not frequent, but not ideal at times!

I always do the basics first:

- Make sure air filter is clean and the tube is clean of gunk

- Clean HT leads / distributor cap n use bit of WD40 on contacts

- Check spark plugs ok etc

- Check throttle body for gunk, use carb cleaner on it

After that, could be fuel filter clogged up, lambda/MAF sensors, etc etc.

You're not alone - try searching google on the clublupo / eastsidevw / vwaudi / seatcupra sites for 'engine cuts out' - plenty of discussion on this topic there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just experienced exactly the same problem today with my loop, happened twice, once at traffic lights, then outside an autoparts shop (ironicly), parked up at the shop thinking nothing of it, had a new head unti fitted, got back in started the engine and the ecu light lit up (worried), drove home no probs, arsed around with head unti for a bit, started it up again and light had gone out, no probes since, cold day aswell. Any ideas?