Variable Speed Cameras M25 Jct 10 -15

Max69vk

This may be of interest if you live in the area, it is a genuine email (obviously the contact details have been removed). Definately something to watch out for in the future.....

To Operational Officers,

I have received information from RPU Traffic Management that the company who look after the Variable Speed cameras between Jct 10 - 15 on the M25 on behalf of the Metropolitan police are ACTIVATING the cameras from 15/02/08. The current cameras are analogue and the speed for enforcement is set at 93mph. However the system is changing to Digital and the Commissioner as directed the company to set the cameras at ACPO guidelines, this will be 80mph.

I suggest that any incident you attend and have to use the M25 you put a marker in your PNB with the Icad number as this will no doubt create more work for the Inspector and Sgts to investigate speed complaints and the Icad number will assist us with regards to police purpose. If the incident is not police purpose then YOU will be liable for the offence of Speeding.

Full details of when the system goes live Digitally will be circulated once Traffic Management have the details

I think that's the idea at the moment - the current cameras are fairly few and far between, and apparently clockwise in the 4th lane there are actually no cameras at all since the road has been widened (although don't take my word for it!).

From what's being said, and if it's true... the current analogue cameras have a limit of 93mph if the signs read NSL, which is quite scary as I must have been quite close to that a few times when the motorway's been empty. Jeremy Clarkson once said that if the NSL sign was lit, the cameras didn't operate, and that's what I thought to be the case.

The text suggests that new digital cameras will be put on every gantry for every lane with an NSL tolerance of 80mph. This will certainly be the first for any motorway, and I can really see some uproar coming if it is the case.

Why? The speed limit is 70mph, folks should expect to be punished if they drive faster! :coffee:

True, in essence, however I'm basing my estimation on previous anti-motorway fixed camera protests.

In reality, I think the 70mph motorway blanket speed limit is a farce. Most motorway police would probably agree. However as you say, that's not an excuse to break the limit.

I thought SPECS timed you as you go through a few sets of cameras?

The SPECS on the M18 say that they are average speed cameras, so what is it, does it time you or is it average speed?

These aren't average speed cameras, they're variable speed cameras.

They're mounted behind gantries which have a flashing sign which enforces a speed limit. The tolerance of the cameras changes depending on what the speed limit being displayed is... they're just like gatsos apart from that (with lines painted on the road).

Well they could get an average speed from the speeds you went past each camera... I was told I could fly past one at 80, then as long as I'd slowed down to say 40 on the next one the average would be under 70?

Cheers for clearing it up, although alot of people speed up after one camera, then just slow back down to 50 when they hit the next one.

Not that I'd condone it because SPECS on motorways are usually there for a pretty good reason, but, 'detection' is easily avoidable by simply switching lanes between cameras. However, some cameras may not be live, so you'd need to make sure you were in two different lanes between two live cameras.

Personally, I stick to the limit (maximum) through SPECS.