Airmail & Import Tax

bjblyth

Righto.. I ordered a watch last week which would have been 200GBP but i got it for 116USD including shipping to the UK.

I have googled import tax but can't make sense of it. Looks like most items don't get charged it, you just have to be an unlucky sod for charges to occur, am I right? If they were to be charged, how would they be charged?

Also has anyone had anything come by airmail from america, how long does it usually take? My delivery estimate is between today and the 7th for an item ordered on 27th December, does this sound about right? I'm hoping it comes earlier rather than later before I go back to work.

Please help a confused chappy!!

It will probably take a couple of weeks or three. I have ordered stuff from the states before, and yes youll get charged Tax and Duty on it if you bought it from a big shop (they wont risk sending as a gift, and the parcel will have a document wallet with all the details stuck to the side of it).

It is very hard to be sure of what you will pay in Tax/Dutys, but i was given this link from customs.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/c...tarchap?Lang=EN

Oh and yes anywhere from outside of the EU and you will be charged, unless the item is marked as a gift or has no apparent value.

Edited by L119 UPO

probably get charged something around £23 for that, I got charged £17 for duty, £6 admin fee on my earphones sent by fedex. The shop had put them down as $100 even though they were £235 over there so $500 ish...

Bloody hell Putney, you splash out. Anyone know about PC components? what code do they use for them cant find? Or anyone got any pc stuff from usa?

Bloody hell Putney, you splash out. Anyone know about PC components? what code do they use for them cant find? Or anyone got any pc stuff from usa?

I like spending! :lol:

Im considering buying somthing thats gona cost ONLY £270 and im considering if I can afford it! And for headphone, bloody hell what the hell do thay do?

Im considering buying somthing thats gona cost ONLY £270 and im considering if I can afford it! And for headphone, bloody hell what the hell do thay do?

They are pretty much the best in ear headphones you can buy. Worth every penny too.

£270 chump change :shades:

I was expecting a pic im sure you can dig out you cheap crappy 2k digi camera. tho if u spend like that, wheres your MV Senna?

Edited by Bikerz

I think I will wait until the insurance company pays out for the last bike before I entertain buying a new bike / car......

Just look up Shure 530 PTH ear phones.. I think thats the ones I have.

I am off to OZ for two months end of this month.... when I get back it should be spring time...

Does anyone remember April last year, it was like summer!

Edited by Putney

Almost everything I have bought from the states has incurred both VAT and import tax, seems the courier companies are charged, they then request it around two weeks after they delivered the item.

So you basicly spend two weeks thinking you've got a great deal, then you get lumbered with another 25% on to the cost :(

Edited by matt a

Almost everything I have bought from the states has incurred both VAT and import tax, seems the courier companies are charged, they then request it around two weeks after they delivered the item.

So you basicly spend two weeks thinking you've got a great deal, then you get lumbered with another 25% on to the cost :(

exactly what happened to me...

I always get my shower gels from Victoria Secret in New York. I have been doing this for the last 6-7 years but only the last 2 shipments I have had to pay import tax on the package. I get a call from either UPS or FedEx saying that I have got to pay tax on the package before it can be delivered. My packages are $30 so about £15 and I have to pay about £6 tax. So either the rules have changed or Victoria Secret have changed their rules and overseas customers have to pay now but I have not found anything on their website to say anything about import tax. So I must have been lucky up until now.

I always get my shower gels from Victoria Secret in New York. I have been doing this for the last 6-7 years but only the last 2 shipments I have had to pay import tax on the package. I get a call from either UPS or FedEx saying that I have got to pay tax on the package before it can be delivered. My packages are $30 so about £15 and I have to pay about £6 tax. So either the rules have changed or Victoria Secret have changed their rules and overseas customers have to pay now but I have not found anything on their website to say anything about import tax. So I must have been lucky up until now.

shower gels eh :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

RE-LIVE THIS THREAD!!!!

Is it true that from Germany you pay no import tax?

How easy is it to go into your bank and transfer euros? whats the exchange rate like? Do they rape you?

I was also tol "important is to use BIC/IBAN for the transfer"

what is this, how do i make sure I use it?

Edited by Bikerz

RE-LIVE THIS THREAD!!!!

How easy is it to go into your bank and transfer euros? whats the exchange rate like? Do they rape you?

I am not sure on the import tax. But as regards to a bank performing an illegal sexual act on you without consent I would personally not use that bank.

RE-LIVE THIS THREAD!!!!

The best way you can buy from europe is with Paypal, i look to eBay for anything i want to buy from Germany.

Ive just bought a Grohe basin mixer and shower faucet from an ebay shop, the tap would have been £120 from any UK store, but i paid €87 for it and €59 for the shower faucet that would have been £75 in any UK store.

Your bank will charge you for an international transfer (£10 at the least i think), also the banks exchange rate is pretty greedy, they are making money on that aswell.

Paypal all the way.

Edited by L119 UPO