Devolution, Golf 1.8T to Lupo S /GTI

junglisteve

Hi,

I'm new member and I dont own a Lupo at the moment. Just been looking around the forum. I have always fancied a Lupo before I bought the golf iv. I never went for one because of their "cuteness" and lack of size.

I am still toying with the idea of getting one in the near future or even 6 months down the line.

Has anyone gone from a 1.8T (200bhp) Golf mkiv to a Lupo? If so could you point out the non-obvious differences, like build quality and feel of the car?

I have some ideas for the lupo but nothing drastic and maybe "boring for you guys" since i want it low and keep a classic style with some deep dish wheels (not oversized)

My only concern is the space internal, build quality and POWER, from what ive read even with a GTI power figure dont hit more than 140 bhp, which i guess is good for car so small.

Does anyone know how much conversions cost to a 1.8T for example and experiences of it as an everyday?

Ive learn a lot about modding over the past years (im 26) and now what i want / need to do for it to be a complete car so to speak.

Ideally depending on budget and petrol prices im thinking of the TDi but noticed how rare they are and how they hold their value.

Any advice / opinions would be of great value.

p.s. a token set pic of the golf is below (its a daily drive, so i couldn't go crazy on it !)

Bluewatermeet004.jpg

GTIInternational2007018.jpg

GTIInternational2007139.jpg

I've drove a lot of cars, inc 1.8 T's,

When I was building my GTI I was using an mk2 VR6 as a runabout.

after I finished this and jumped in the lupo, I was VERY suprised.

The GTI isn't that different in respect of power to weight and the lupo really does take off.

go drive one, you'll be amazed at it.

I also got 290 miles out of a tank the other day before I had to chuck some more in.

Also the interior of a GTI is nicer than a MK4 Golf (less dated), and it may be simple but it is still built to the same level of quality as a Golf or Passat.

It's like having a quality little Go-kart, it's exclusive and cheap to run. Proves you dont need a big powerful car to have lots of fun and youve got a car that can never be done to death.

Also there is no Lupo MK2 so you never feel asif youve got the outdated model. Great residuals.

it drives like any lowered car, more you pay the better it is.

I'm 6ft 2" and I've got no problem with it.

dropping the rear seats or chucking shopping on there isn't a problem.

more space in the loop driving than there was in my golf mk3 and possibly the mk4 GTTDI I was using for a few months.

Theres no build quality issues with the Lupo, can't think of any other car of its size which is built as well.

Also 140bhp in a car which weighs nothing would be more than enough, and its more about the driving experience, it feels (GTI) a lot quicker than it is, and the handling as standard is excellent, tbh it feels as quick as my old mk4 1.8t, but a lot less lazy :lol:

If you fancy more power, I'd spend the money on doing something with the standard engine (TB, Supercharger etc) rather than a transplant, just MO.

very good point.. space not an issue for anyone ?

how does the loweing (more than 60mm) work out on normal roads, road humps and passengers?

thanks

No space issue for me, sitting in the front is actually like sitting in a medium sized car, plenty of headroom/legroom. The only gripe i would have is that the steering wheel is only height adjustable, but now im used to it it's fine.

Got mine on Coilovers and the handling is excellent, would definately reccomend a suspension kit of some sort due to the standard body roll.

Im doing exactly the same as you, going from a tuned 1.8T golf into a lupo 1.4s, ive got the lupo and am currently doing it up

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34447

There built pretty much the same and the handling is so go-kart like now its been lowered its wicked and can easily outhandle alot of larger more expensive cars which is always fun!!!

i fancy a GTI but at the current price of some of these, it doesnt make sense to sell my golf (modded)

ill try and drive one and see how it goes... as well as estimate / how much ill spend once i buy it, because i wont be able to change too much

If you did buy a GTI, then all you need to buy really is coilovers maybe wheels too if you feel the need.

If you did buy a GTI, then all you need to buy really is coilovers maybe wheels too if you feel the need.

thats whats currently appealing to me, luckily there isnt too much you "can" do unlike the mkiv.. it never ends.. and its annoying, the lupo gti, seems to be a more complete car. package...

if i can find one with xenons and leather.. ill be happy !

before mine i had a 106 GTi, apparantly one of the best handling cars of all time - SH*TE compared to the loop on coilovers

sounds promising, handling is very important, its will be for city use, but i wil be doing motorway stuff for work and my golf (remapped APR etc) pulls all they way from 60-100 pretty damn well and the rest

how does the 1.6 gti compare?

how many of you have the Tdi? whats that like compared to the GTI?

thanks again

sounds promising, handling is very important, its will be for city use, but i wil be doing motorway stuff for work and my golf (remapped APR etc) pulls all they way from 60-100 pretty damn well and the rest

how does the 1.6 gti compare?

how many of you have the Tdi? whats that like compared to the GTI?

thanks again

Well in the GTI you can put your foot down at 80 and theres still some poke. Never driven the TDI, you can get it remapped to 117bhp, but at the end of the day it's still a diesel and will drive like one.

styling wise the GTI is stunning i wouldnt change a thing but you have to pay the price, if it do decide it will be a tought choice to make between the gti and remapped TDI

thanks for all your help , ill hang around this forum look around for prices and see if i really want to part with my invested mk4, wish i never spent so much on it now.. but thats part of life

Ive driven the diesel loop, as my gf has got a TDI Sport, very nice car, great engine, nice amaount of torque, but its completely different to the GTI.

Best idea, as Rich has said, is take a few cars for a test drive :)

I have test driven a few cars recently: A3 3.2, A3 TDI 140 amongst others, and everytime I got back in my GTI I felt happy!