Dilemma - missed serice interval

Hi

Looking at a Lupo at the weekend, seems a good car. Apart from one thing: it should've had it's 10k/12 month service in September 2006 but didn't.

The service book is unstamped.

The mileage is now at around 11k.

Obviously it's completely missed the service interval - but not by much (if you're looking at the mileage. Persionally I'd not be too concerned about this in terms of mechanical aspects as I'd ensure I get it serviced immediately upon buying it (if I decide to go ahead). 1,000 mies is still within the mileage boundaries of getting a service carried out, although it's totally missed the service "period" in terms of age.

But what about the warranty?

I just spoke to VW Customer Care any they've said if something went wrong and could be traced back to the missed service, then the warranty would be worthless. Obviously that would only really apply to something engine-related as I'm guessing the first service is little more than an oil/filter change.

Should I be worried?

Should I walk away from this one? There's not much else about the car giving me any concern so far...

Cheers

Ally

I don't think I'd advise either way, but if it's still in warranty there are certain things that you need to know.

My car missed its first service date by two months. At the time it was owned by a VW main dealer, and was a demo car.

When my car went wrong, VW said that they'd give me a courtesy car, no problem, 5 star treatment all the way and apologies. Then they saw that the first service was done 1 month past the 'tolerated' date and withdrew all of that. Even though it was before I bought it, and owned by a main dealer.

The work was still done under warranty however as there was no way it could have been attributed to the 'missed' service.

One of the reasons I wouldn't by another VW.

Cheers. I had a crap time with a previous car and I said the same about never, ever buying another Renault. But it's so hard not to as I still really like Clios and I'm finding it hard not being attracted to a Clio 182 rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Sounds a very similar story to the one I'm looking at (although I'm unsure who the previous owner was). It's a gamble - and I'm still debating it. I'm in a lucky position in that my father-in-law knows a few people in the car trade and is going to do a bit more research on this car for me, so I'll find out soon enough it's full background (I hope).

I know that missing a service by 1,000 or so miles ins't a major disaster for the car, but I just know that if something were to go wrong with it that could be attributed to a missed service then sure as hell the warranty would be invalidated...

Argh, the car seems spot on in every other way too...

I'll have a think about it.

Ally

It won't be the miles vw look at though, its gone over 10 months since it should have had its service and it hasn't had a service since its delivery check when the car was snapped up by the dealer. It could well be fine mate, and more than likely it will be, but there would be a part of me that was unsure, especially if i was spending around 8k? on a car.

It won't be the miles vw look at though, its gone over 10 months since it should have had its service

Yeah, that's the thing worrying me: although there's neglible effect of missing the service based on mileage, VW would have a strong case to refuse any potential warranty claim if it could be accredited to the missed service.

Ah feck, really unsure now. Been to see a few Lupo GTI's now and not found the right one for me yet... Not sure if this is the one after all. Ready to give up and buy something else sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Cheers

Ally

we had this issue with joes gti but the dealer honoured the warrenty even though the service was missed and they transfered the warrenty to us and onto the new owner.

You should also consider how long is left on the waranty and the likelihood (sp?) of anything going wrong in that period that could be related to the missed service. Say for example it only has a year left, you buy it and give it a good full service.. chance of anything going wrong..?

You should also consider how long is left on the waranty and the likelihood (sp?) of anything going wrong in that period that could be related to the missed service. Say for example it only has a year left, you buy it and give it a good full service.. chance of anything going wrong..?

That's what I was going to say. What year is it and how much warranty left?

R

Cheers for the replies. I've not ruled the car out yet.

It's got just over a year left on the warranty so it wouldn't be a disaster if it was void for the engine bits. The car is priced quite cheaply (reflects this) but it's still a concern. I do know a few people in the car trade so even if things got a little bit wrong, parts wouldn't be too bad...

Jen: that's interesting to hear. I'd be looking to have that in writing from VW before touching this car though!

Cheers

Ally