Stretched tyres for schmidts

Sadie

im currently running 195/45/15's on my schmidts but i really want to stop them scrubbing by getting the best stretch of tyre i can but im not sure what to get as no where can i find 185-175-165/45/15 they only do them in 195 with a 45 profile is it possible to go up to a 50 profile and get some 165 or maybe thinner im not bothered about drivability as i dont go anywhere fast anyway i just want a really good stretch and to stop them scrubbing so much so that i might be able to wind down the coilovers some more

I just put my tyres on and there VERY stretched 165/50/15 on 7" oz rims. I was going to put 185/45/15 on but I went for the gamble. they have the look I want and need due to the offset being ET12 I wouldnt be going fast round any corners though.

185 should give a stretch but not too much.

I would have went for 175 but nobody seems to stock them in a low profile, only 60's and 65's which is no goood at all really unless you have a mini bus to put them on

nope not yet, as i said in a previous post my front tyres are nearly bald, so im lookiong for some new ones so while im at it i my aswell change the tyres to ones that aint gonna scrub as much. i dont know what width the schmidtz are, im thinking either 7"-7.5"

well ive had to rise the suspension up cos it was that low the arches just sat on the tyres at one point, its frustrating cos i know it can go lower but the width of the tyres are stoping it, they are still scrubbing and damaging the tyre wall now even though ive lifted it up, i cant find any where that does 195/40/15 on thing i can find is some 165/50/15 on mytyres. I cant fnd anywhere that rolls arches in lincoln for less than £300 so the tyres which are goin to need replacing soon are my first prioty to get right so i can stop some scrubbing and slicing mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Edited by Sadie

well ive had to rise the suspension up cos it was that low the arches just sat on the tyres at one point, its frustrating cos i know it can go lower but the width of the tyres are stoping it, they are still scrubbing and damaging the tyre wall now even though ive lifted it up, i cant find any where that does 195/40/15 on thing i can find is some 165/50/15 on mytyres. I cant fnd anywhere that rolls arches in lincoln for less than £300 so the tyres which are goin to need replacing soon are my first prioty to get right so i can stop some scrubbing and slicing mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

My schmidts had 195/45's on and scrubbed on the inside of the front arches (mine are 7" ET25) but they are fine with 165/50/15's and look quite good too. Still have a decent amount of grip as well.

pop down to volkskraft and see them hun... they will be able to tell you there and then if can do it. (had a word for ya smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />)

cheers, think i shall be going for some 165/50/15 there only £29.99 on mytryes and then nipping down to volkscraft some time this week with the fella as he knows more about this stuff then me laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

dont suppose you got some pics of both tyre sizes on your rims smoggie so i can compair the 2

Once the arches have been rolled then you shouldnt have any more probs, i think this is a common problem on the non gti's, due to the arches being different. Out of interest.. how come you couldnt find any 195 40's in lincoln. Im ordering some within the next week to go on my new rims.

ive only tried on the web and some tyre sites and ebay, thats it to be honest, i think having the arches done and thinner profile tyres will let me wind the coilovers down to where i want them to be laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

If there 8J I would go for 175 or 185, I just got my 165's on the 7J ones and ther very stretched, like I think Im going to have to be very careful.

Here is a pic:

27062007110.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

27062007111.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Nankangs look alot more stretched than bridgestones on a 7J rim.

To be honest with you if I was going to run 165s on anythign with a reasonable amount of power I'd run the best ones I could to get the most grip from them. Ditchfinders maybe cheap, but they aren't cheap without reason.

After running Nankangs then Bridgestones I think I'll be spending the extra £40 on Bridgestones everytime from now on...

Bridgestones on 15x7

DSC00736.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

DSCN8177.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Not the greatest pictures but you get the idea.

You will struggle to find anyone in our neck of the woods who will fit 165/50s to an 8" rim as that is some serious stretch - I haven't seen it done yet period and I've seen some extreme examples. To be honest if you're running 8's then I reckon 185/45's will look good. We run then on 7.5's with a nice stretch so will be ding dong on 8's.

You will struggle to find anyone in our neck of the woods who will fit 165/50s to an 8" rim as that is some serious stretch - I haven't seen it done yet period and I've seen some extreme examples. To be honest if you're running 8's then I reckon 185/45's will look good. We run then on 7.5's with a nice stretch so will be ding dong on 8's.

Dont suppose you have any pics do you, think im just going to try and get them in 7" wide or maybe buy some more lips for them but not as wide this time

i have rolled rear arches and trimmed the fronts a touch. i run 195/45/15 toyos on 15x8 et14 rear and 7.5 front et 20. lowered around 90 -100mm. it doesnt rub with two peeps in the front. only problem is with two in the back it can be quite harsh. one in the back is fine unless u hit major bumps at high speed. with ur extra clearance from an et point of view with rolled arches and a little flare u could probably b free from any rubbing and have a tiny stretch but keep the road holding ability.

hope this helps

Glen