Pedal Box - It fell off!

Not so long ago i couldnt change gear it was as if the grooves were in the wrong place. Took it to a mate whos a mechanic and he said the bracket had broken on my pedal box, so the pedals were hanging off! Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Spoke to VW who said its a common problem but wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it! Any ideas?

Seems to come up a lot, what sort of age/mileage has it done? Sounds like VW has a design flaw on its hands though to recall for it might be horrendous.

???

The car was just over 3 years and 20k miles when it happened and because the previous owner didnt get it serviced by VW they wont replace it for me. My mate has welded the bracked on for me and said it wont fall off again. I cant believe that VW have a problem like this and are still making the cars with the same part.

Funny you should say that....... Being a women I thought my clutch had gone as it wasn't going into gear and then the pedal dissappeared altogether, so booked it in to get a clutch done yesterday...... when I picked the car up, he told that it wasn't my clutch, all he did was repair the clutch cable mount and pedal box..... ALSO another thing which he fixed was my brake servo pipe,as it was split, which I remember VW recalled some Lupo's back coz of this problem but at the time they said it wouldn't affect mine..... yeah right... ???

That's bad, will need to mention it when mine goes in for it's service on Friday and see what the mechanics know about it, hope they at least check every lupo coming in.

Oh yeah my Brake Servo Pipe also split! several times costing me £26.00 plus VAT for the tiny little pipe every time. Oh well i love the Lupo so much that i will forget about the problems but it still ent very good. How you described the pedal disappearing is exactly what hapenned to mine. VW said they only get 6 cars a year with that problem. I think they are tellin a few porkies!

• 3 years later...
angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> same problem as me just ring up vwuk and give them alot of stick! im just waiting for the answer, they should do it on good will basis as it is a manufacturin defalt, but is a long process coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Hmm, i think mine is on the way out.

It seems to crunch into most gear, never goes into reverse without a fuss.

It seems almost imposible to get it into fourth on the way down through the gears, but it can play silly buggers with any gear.

Can anyone explain to me simply, my car is an x reg, at 64 thousand miles.

Will this be done for free, or not?

Ta, Dan.

Also to add - The Clutch pedal is really stiff...

im no expert but id say that sounds more like the clutch itself? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />