A new rattle... - ...EXTREMELY ANNOYING! Pls Help!

Hi

A new rattle has started in my GTI.... from the middle/drivers side of the dash. It sounds like something hitting against the wind screen or something clicking. Its fairly consistent but no pattern to the rattle i.e. it doesnt just happen on bumpy roads or going round bends.

COuld it be wheel bearings? Has anyone else got this??

Could it be the cupholders? When it happens next, put your hand under them and as far back as it will go, and press upwards.

If it stops, there's your problem.

You need a Torx 20 to get that off (2 screws), and a small strip of draft excluder where the cup holder touches the little shelf bit should do the job.

Had that prob on mine, was incredibly annoying. It's very quiet now!

• 4 months later...
Could it be the cupholders? When it happens next, put your hand under them and as far back as it will go, and press upwards.

If it stops, there's your problem.

You need a Torx 20 to get that off (2 screws), and a small strip of draft excluder where the cup holder touches the little shelf bit should do the job.

Had that prob on mine, was incredibly annoying. It's very quiet now!

I have this prob at times... Thanks for the tip biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

No problem!

I've got another rattle just appeared - I thought it was the HU/CD player rattling together as I didn't have the DIN separator, but now I have it's not gone away sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Possible something caught in the fan, or possibly (more likely) the wires clonking around behind the HU - they're almost impossible to get back in correctly!!

john its the wires!

I have this problem after doing my CD. Took it all out last weekend and found the issue - mine is the connectors rattling against the dash - I have put some foam edging on it (carpet tape stuff) and it seems to have stopped....

No problem!

I've got another rattle just appeared - I thought it was the HU/CD player rattling together as I didn't have the DIN separator, but now I have it's not gone away sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Possible something caught in the fan, or possibly (more likely) the wires clonking around behind the HU - they're almost impossible to get back in correctly!!

I have this as well, its just sarted recently, is there some bracket betwwen the 2 headunits(standard vw ones) cause I think it's coming from here!

Yeah, there should be a plate in between the two, it's called an "Intermittent Piece" laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

If you haven't got one, that could easily be causing the rattle, as well as the radio falling out every so often.

If you have one, it's probably the wiring.

• 6 months later...

Ahh, the rattles of the Loop. Cupholders, door cards, that bit of plastic around the instruments binnacle.

My solution. Turn the volume knob clockwise. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />