Refubishing & painting wheels

I am going to start refurbishing my wheels one at a time.

They are currently painted black.

Any advice on the best methods to use to restore them to there former glory.

Being a bit of a skin flit as when I originally had them done, (by a BMW garage) they didnt even bother to put any lacker on.

Any advice welcome

Angelo

You can't get the centres powder coated though as they're plastic and they'd melt in the oven. At least that's what my local refurber told me. I painted them myself as I didn't want the centre caps to be a different shade to the wheel.

Have the original bat alloys.

They have already been paited BMW cosmos black.

All of them have been kerbed by a faimily member whilst I was away on holiday.

I have a spare alloy to practice on.

Any advice would be welcomed

Kind Regards

Angelo

No they finally ended up black mate!!!

You can't get the centres powder coated though as they're plastic and they'd melt in the oven.

You cant powdercoat plastic, but you can have the centers painted. They can match paint to any colour.

My point is, spraying things yourself with tin cans isnt good enough. It doesnt have any durability and it will all start flaking off before the year is over. youll never achive a good finish, or the finish will deteriorate within months. I bet it will rub off when you have tyres fitted.

A total false economy.

If you have to resort to paint, at least get them done properly.

Edited by LoopGTI

The refurbers told me they could not do the centre caps at all, I would have to sort out painting them myself.

How do you know what my finish is like?

No paint came off when the tyres were fitted, and they weren't exactly treating them with as much care as I had been the previous few days. They've been on a good few months now and still look fine as far as I can tell.

I accept they may not last hugely long, but that remains to be seen. I resorted to paint as I wanted something different doing with them. To get the wheels only powdercoated (not centre caps) would have cost me £200. I spent about £30 on paint, and that was using two different colours.

How do you know what my finish is like?

Well, if you used spray cans i know exactly what to expect. I used to be a panel beater and sprayer, so i know about these things. Ive even done it myself (using tins that is), using proper techniques even. And the fact is, tin cans are NOT a viable alternative to 2K paint schemes.

Tin can finish looks great when first done and polished up, but the finish dulls so quickly, is so fragile it doesnt even go hard like 2K paint, doesnt keep moisture out like 2K paint. So to use this on alloy wheels for refurbing is especially inadequate.

Wheels should be powdercoated which is even tougher than 2K paint.

BUT if your happy with it, then thats all that matters.

Well, if you used spray cans i know exactly what to expect. I used to be a panel beater and sprayer, so i know about these things. Ive even done it myself (using tins that is), using proper techniques even. And the fact is, tin cans are NOT a viable alternative to 2K paint schemes.

Tin can finish looks great when first done and polished up, but the finish dulls so quickly, is so fragile it doesnt even go hard like 2K paint, doesnt keep moisture out like 2K paint. So to use this on alloy wheels for refurbing is especially inadequate.

Wheels should be powdercoated which is even tougher than 2K paint.

couldnt aggre more i too do alto of paintwork and aerosols or cellulose in general is crap you can a chieve a reasonable finnish but it has no durability and will shine no where near as good as 2k if it was me i would get refurb then to a good condition myslef , make sure theyre well prepped, spray them then get a bodyshop to laquer them in 2k they they wil look mint and last as long as the car if cleaned regularly biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

LoopGTi im not totally convinced on this powdercoating a mate had his subframe on a mini done and in under a year it has chipped off underneath angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

LoopGTi im not totally convinced on this powdercoating a mate had his subframe on a mini done and in under a year it has chipped off underneath angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

He must have had a bad job done.

pretty much all alloy wheels come powdercoated from new, this is because it's the most durable finish.

2K paint is really good, but it will see alot of abuse when being used for wheels. You get fine scratches/swirls in the laquer really easy, it chips easier, and also laquer can't be cut and polished as many times as powdercoat can.

Powdercoat is actually really tough, and it's cured at very high temps the surface is harder than clearcoat.

But if you cant get the colour you want in powdercoat, then just makesure youve got a good few coats of laquer over the base coat. The more laquer youve got, the more you can cut and polish out scratches.

I painted my own wheels ages ago. If you want a decent and durable job you need to spend ages, and I men ages preparing them. Get them right bck to the metal. prime, paint lacquer. takes ages but if you do a good enough job there is no reason why they shouldn't look ace and be durable!

Edited by gargoil

Have the use of a spray booth to prime & paint them.

Going to start on my spare wheel first and see how it goes, then ill start to strip the wheels that are on now.

Like I said all advice is welcome, just fancy having a go myself as I have a bit of spare time.

Regards

Angelo

Edited by angelo77