147GTA test drive...

MattyB

Drove to Derby today to look at this 147GTA:

Clicky

Decent enough sales bloke, I had a good drive in it. First impressions - they look fanastic, much better in the metal than in the photo's. However it didn't look particularly well looked after - the front end was badly stonechipped and badly resprayed - the backbox was pretty much rotten through (strange for an 04?) and the sills were badly scuffed where they rubbed the doors - oh, and the plastic sills had split too.

Lovely to drive though - pin sharp steering (if a little light), smooth gearchange, comfortable seats. But the engine - and the noise - is wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> . Creamy smooth delivery, pulls in any gear with plenty of grunt and sounds superb. Definately the star of the show.

Your very aware of the fat V6 in the front, and although I didn't push too hard, you can tell that understeer is going to dominate any spirited driving occasion - but then, after the ITR I doubt anything will feel quite as light on its toes at that does.

Interior was lovely with the leather, dash looked the part and it generally felt like a special car - although if you looked closely the finish wasn't 100%.

I was seriously impressed though - its just so much more refined and grown up after the ITR. On track or on an empty country road, I'd take the ITR. But for every other situation, the refinement, power and general desirability of the GTA means that, in my personal job/lifestyle situation, I'd chose the Italian every time.

Oh, and as for sonorousness, its a tough call - VTEC or Alfa V6? In the music industry, the VTEC-howl would be Mick Jagger - loud mouthed and a great mood lifter. The Alfa would be Barry White - undeniably cool, and great for the soul.

the backbox was pretty much rotten through (strange for an 04?)

Dont forget, It IS an alfa your looking at...

Find an old codger who had interest in cars many years ago, and ask them about the "Alfasud"

The engine mounts used to rot, and the engine would quite litterally "Drop" out of the engine bay whilst driving if the parts werent kept in 300% top notch condition!

lol

Good review Matty

I like the Alfa's too

I assume there are Alfa forums out there?So you can have a peek and see what the general bad points are on the 147's before you commit and buy?

Watched an old Top Gear before on some sky channel and guess what was on? wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Yep, i'd certainly consider one in the future,seem to be quite a rare car aswell which is always good. I see too many Focus RS's and Golf R32's on the roads.

Go on you know you want to........

Tom