Lupo Gti!

willcrook

I drove one before I bought the 16v sport.

I thought for the price the sport was a better buy. The GTI felt torquier but not supprisingly faster than the sport. Fantastic cars though.

One of those cars you could be 100% happy with without having to mod it.

One of those cars you could be 100% happy with without having to mod it.

What he said, other than adding factory style sat nav and the cambridge lights there is not a single cosmetic or performance aspect I would change.

On a serious note the GTI feels totally different to drive to the petrol Sport. I believe the throttle cable is different, as is the gearbox, and steering rack?

The GTI felt heavier than the sport (steering)

The throttle and gearbox yes they felt different from the one I have now but so did a later model sport. I'm guessing it also had a hyraullic clutch and drive by wire.

I thought it was totally totally crap

Isn't that your general opinion about most things though?!

Wilcrook it depends on what you're looking for or what your expecting from the car. Obviously if you're looking to do a lot of mileage the TDI will be better on your pocket in terms of fuel & the £50 a year tax + cheap insurance is not to be sniffed at. The spec isn't that bad either as they are fitted with the same trim as the 'sport' model, although leather isn't available faik, & I've only seen A/C on a couple (not that we need it at the moment!). Obviously they are never going to be in the same league as the GTI for performance, but with a bit of tuning (chip etc) it can become quite a fun, nippy little motor that can suprise a few people!

Isn't that your general opinion about most things though?!

Wilcrook it depends on what you're looking for or what your expecting from the car. Obviously if you're looking to do a lot of mileage the TDI will be better on your pocket in terms of fuel & the £50 a year tax + cheap insurance is not to be sniffed at. The spec isn't that bad either as they are fitted with the same trim as the 'sport' model, although leather isn't available faik, & I've only seen A/C on a couple (not that we need it at the moment!). Obviously they are never going to be in the same league as the GTI for performance, but with a bit of tuning (chip etc) it can become quite a fun, nippy little motor that can suprise a few people!

Thanks,

Fuel and Insurance is irrelivent to me as I get it provided for me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I have owned my current tdi for 2 years now and was wondering how the different the feel of the car and the acceleration is?

clearly i was joking, why would i buy one if i thought it was crap?!

Ignore me, I've been enraged by an Emo! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

My previous car was a BMW and the one before that was a heavily modified Mini Cooper (proper mini may I add).

As soon as I drove the Gti I thought how similar it felt to the mini. Very old school hot hatch feel to it, light, nimble and nippy like a Gti should be. I drove it for 10 miles on a test drive and then ordered one as soon as we got back in the dealership!

hurray for REAL mini's!!! i once saw this new mini cooper with a sticker on the back saying ''100% rover free parts'' . I did laugh!! HOW DARE HE!! (or she!)

oh yeah, lupo GTi's rock! lol, was really impressed when i drove mine, had test driven a civic sport, mg zr 120, and a mini cooper (sorry). loop de loop was the one for me. As Darren rightly says above, its light and nimble as a gti should be. Closest new car i could find to the old mini's stability round corners. Although that can never be betean personally.

Edited by Bignosedbear

Trawling the archives....

From Altern8.

"i test drove a silver 01 plate gti 40k on the clock and it had 4 owners and i was disapointed to say the least it sounded nice but it wasnt what i was expecting it didnt seem to pull as much as i thought and it didnt handle as good as my tdi tongue.gif

i would say my old 1600 mk1 gti was quicker and more fun blush.gif i was gona test drive the polo gti too but they had sold that "

:/

I think its really going to depend on the history of the car as to how it drives. If ones got 40k on it serviced every 10k & driven by a nun It's bound to be better than the 20k miler thats had the living daylights thrashed out of it by the local boy racer!

i pretty sure anthony (AKLupo) went from a tdi to a gti, might be worth PMing him.

i agree that my gti feels alot heavier to drive compared to my sport. i had the sport at the same time Joe bought his Gti and i did many a test run of the same route in each car and the Gti is SO much more fun to drive than my sport was. my sport wasnt far off the mark in speed but it was very easy and quite boring to drive tbh, where as my Gti is so sharp and i enjoy every second i drive her wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

and also as already has been said, apart from coilovers i do think the Gtis looks are spot on!

Jen x

I loved it and put the driving smile back on my face, one thing I would say from what others say and hopefully me very soon is that you will need coilovers. It does sit mighty high as standard and looks mean as f**k slammed. But with a cute factor which the chiks dig wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />. It's not the fastest car out there but it does what it does, I mean how fast would you feel safe doing in a car that size?

It's a future classic for sure! Bet you can't say that about a Shitroen Paxo or Clio sport...